SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a very noticeable whine when decelerating. I can't pinpoint if its the angle gear or transmission.
Here is a video. Listen around the 15-22 sec range and 35-45 sec range.
https://youtu.be/xrkFG-7n8Uc

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But its only making the noise while slowing down. I would think if it was either of those it would happen all of the time. Or maybe not. Thanks for the thoughts. My angle gear does have a leak as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. Definitely would be great if that was the issue.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I think I am leaning towards the angle gear on this. I found a 04 xc90 at the junk yard. What tools should I be sure to take with me to get the angle gear off? I would like to get this off. Rebuild it and have it ready to go when I take to one off of my car.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Ok so I think I am leaning towards the angle gear on this. I found a 04 xc90 at the junk yard. What tools should I be sure to take with me to get the angle gear off? I would like to get this off. Rebuild it and have it ready to go when I take to one off of my car.
Has to be from a 2.5t XC90... T6 is different. Or there are usually a few on eBay for around $300. You can get any 03-07 S60 AWD, XC70 or 04-05 R GT, or 04-07 R M66 angle gear. The 06-07 R GT angle gear is different.

Bring a 6&8mm ball headed allen key socket, and a normal socket set with a few extensions, and an open end wrench set. Really only need these sizes for both the wrenches and sockets (10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22) A few are not needed but I can't remember which so... Or forget the allen key a bring sawzall to cut the propshaft.

Just need to take the wheel off, pull the passenger axle, unbolt the driveshaft (or cut), and unbolt the angle gear.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Wouldn't you have to deal with the collar sleeve as well, or was this epoxied to the transmission side (can't remember OTTOMH)?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome. I'm pretty sure the one I'm looking at is a 2.5 t5. Yeah I figured I was going to need some ball end Allen's for the drive shaft but I wasn't sure of the size. I got about 13 days till they crush it so I need to get in it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey did you ever find a cure for this? Mine just started making this noise recently and can't figure out where it is but am also worried about the angle gear. Please let me know if you found anything out!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely my angle gear. Still haven't swapped it though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts