SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 XC and it appears to be in excellent shape. It has 133K and I have seen many online issues with the transmission. My question is: is it advisable to have the transmission flushed since I am told it is sealed? Also, can someone tell me where the PCV valve is located? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everything I've read so far says a thorough trans flush followed by a software update are in order. Did you get any kind of service records with the car or at least know where it's been serviced so you can check about the need for a software update? I just got my first P2 ('04 V70 109k) a few days ago and plan to get that done in the next week or so. I'll also be adding the updated IPD servo cover just for good measure. Seems like a wise investment. I'm hoping some members with more P2 experience will chime in with their opinions as well.
Cheers!

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
You do NOT flush a 133K mile transmission.
What you do is a series of drain and fills probably 3 to 5 or until the fluid is finally clean.
There is no PCV "valve" per se, it's an entire breather system that at these miles should be completely replaced if it hasn't been already ($$$)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You do NOT flush a 133K mile transmission.
What you do is a series of drain and fills probably 3 to 5 or until the fluid is finally clean.
There is no PCV "valve" per se, it's an entire breather system that at these miles should be completely replaced if it hasn't been already ($$$)
I don't know much about Volvos. Can you tell me where to put in the new transmission fluid?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything I've read so far says a thorough trans flush followed by a software update are in order. Did you get any kind of service records with the car or at least know where it's been serviced so you can check about the need for a software update? I just got my first P2 ('04 V70 109k) a few days ago and plan to get that done in the next week or so. I'll also be adding the updated IPD servo cover just for good measure. Seems like a wise investment. I'm hoping some members with more P2 experience will chime in with their opinions as well.
Cheers!
Thanks. The car was a one owner and was serviced regurlary but I don't know about software update. What does that do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, I misspoke. I meant 'Drain and Fill' not flush. I'm new to the auto trans. but I'd guess you fill through the dipstick tube. The software update eliminates a function of automatically shifting the car into neutral at a stop. It seems this was a problematic feature that caused a lot of unnecessary hard shifting. It may have other benefits as well. Sorry again about using the "F" word!

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Your car never had "stop neutral" software, 2001s only

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It is wise to do a drain and fill the transmission. I had mine done but over time it shows some hesitation when shifting from R to D. It is the design fault and no matter how good it has been looked after, it will eventually failed. So it was replaced by the newer design valve body and it is good as new. Luckily the extended warranty taken care most of the expense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts