SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Been meaning to write up my adventure home, but been crazy busy. Short version... Did not get Temp warning on way home, but was careful. Noticed ambient temperature reading would shoot up 15-20 degrees whenever I pulled off interstate though.

As for behavior of transmission? It is clunky at low speeds. Hard clunks especially when slowing down.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I will suggest no matter of your miles to change the fluid ATF with Mobil 3309 if is Aisin and try with new oil. Im 100% sure that will not overheat again. Your oil is gone by time years and heavy load. There is no oil in this planet to be "life time" as also VCC Lolvo Gelly Corporation after many lemon cases and court especially in US where you are protected from cheating of different car producers well what its not case in Europe they changed now maintenance time of ATF. Please do change oil cant hurt transmission - its big big bla bla in forums where people write "ah my trans now not work well slipping ect" Why: at first transmission have very fine inside filter (non-exchange possible until someone open trans) and when people write: ah small particles in oil keep friction hahaha :) Im high voltage sector but bigger BS I never heard in my life and Im almost 60 years young :). Any small particles in old oil is kept by filter and magnets that is few of them fixed inside. But if you are looking lab test of oil of our friend Googlvit from forum here you can find that there is another 20 material that by time and consume of parts finished also in this filter. Yes? Yes. There is copper, silicon, rubber, metal ferrous material and metal non ferrous, plastic, ect ect...What is most important is density and temperature compensation of new or old oil what is make huge difference after years. Do oil change and sleep well. Check lab test of oil with almost same miles like yours. P.s. I change ATF as Aisin prescribed from Japan every 40.000 km max. and today with my crazy fast furious temperament driving kick down high speed on highways that you cant even try in US (160km /h average sometimes cleaning valves when road is empty on 200 km/h for 15 min) and trans is strong i made all km from day 1. 361527 km

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,986 Posts
Don't forget you can always repeat the fluid change a couple of thousand miles later and it might help even more. The original fluid was in there for a long time so a repeated fluid changeover may be needed.

Did the dealership do a drain/fill (only 3.5qts to 4qts) or did they use their own flush machine? Or something else?

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,986 Posts
Explain Your comment about the transmission being clearly upset with you
we have to assume that on your way home something else happened or it acted up more so so please explain to us how that trip went and why you said what you said about it
I think you meant to add “please” or “could you.” Low speed clunking was mentioned, especially hard clunking when slowing down.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts