SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! On a family vacation and as we got off interstate got error that Transmission Oil Temp was high. Turned off vehicle for about 20 minutes restarted and message was gone and been doing local driving with no recurrence. On interstate I was humming along at 80-85mph in 95 degree heat with a full cargo.

I need to get home and it's about 600 miles. Am I good if I keep it to a slower cruising speed? Maybe drive at night? I have a great mechanic at home that can look at it when I get back. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car top carrier and a full cargo area with suitcases and such for four. Nothing I really thought as overly taxing. I thought it weird as well that it was fine with no warning all along the interstate (this is I-95, so pretty darn flat) and then code popped up on slower street while pulling into a drive-thru.

On maintenence, had actually been doing well, I thought. Really wasn't aware of much needing to be done for Transmission maintenence on this. Not a hobbiest or gear head and ya know... "lifetime", lol! I'm at about 167k miles, so certainly makes sense that the fluid has reached an expiration date, but had to read here to know that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and not feeling any "slippage". Do get occasional clunk decelerating at low speeds. I tend to baby it and not accelerate fast or brake too fast if I can avoid it, but it's my wife's vehicle, so all bets are off when she's driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay so... loving this forum already. The great journey is on Thursday, so I'll let you know how it goes. I intend to baby it home (it's actually 680 miles). Wish me luck! Having gained some understanding of how the transmission fluid is cooled by the vehicle'sgeneral cooling system (correct?), I'm thinking that it self-cooled/air cooled adequately driving at highway speed and then, when I pulled off the interstate and into the drive-thru, the temp shot up. Again, not a car expert by any stretch, but is that a reasonable guess?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Been meaning to write up my adventure home, but been crazy busy. Short version... Did not get Temp warning on way home, but was careful. Noticed ambient temperature reading would shoot up 15-20 degrees whenever I pulled off interstate though.

As for behavior of transmission? It is clunky at low speeds. Hard clunks especially when slowing down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts