SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<p>I have a 1997 960 wagon. I'm planning to tow a boat with it. (about 1700-2000 lbs loaded) I've read about some of the anti-freeze in the transmission fluid horror stories here. After a good flush and fill, I want to install an aftermarket transmission oil cooler which will take the place of the one in the radiator and still give me enough cooling to tow with. <p>Is there a particular make and model of cooler that 960 / V90 owners that have done this like? I'm talking ease of installation, not too big, not too small, etc. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. <p>Thanks,<br>Mark

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Transmission oil cooler (Mark's 240)

From <A HREF="http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/FAQSummary1.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/...1.htm</A><br>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>960 AW30-40 Self-Destructs in Hot, Hilly Climates. [Cautions from Rafael Riverol] Leaving your 960 stock with OEM radiator, no cooler, and cheap transmission oil, together with dealer maintenance according to the schedule, has resulted in a new transmission in every single one 960 I know about in Puerto Rico at around 50k miles. Not only are we talking about thousands of dollars, but a much worse never ending tale of woes and headaches. Volvo technicians tell horror tales throughout U.S. To help prevent this, install a transmission cooler. The factory kit is a simple bolt on, but not cheap. I bought one for my 960 (1995) for $385. Of course, you should also use synthetic transmission fluid. Mobil is a good choice and readily available. If you are careful, you may want to install a Magnefine transmission oil filter ($20, from their website) and perhaps a transmission fluid temperature gauge. If you want to mount the gauge on the pillar you can get a pod from the MVP website for about $30. If you have a 960, I emphatically recommend you do all the above and watch your radiator and coolant like a hawk for any signs of contamination transmission oil particularly in you have the Volvo plastic radiator. But if you do the above, you should be OK as the transmission on the 960 is a Warner (Asia) unit closely related to the one in the Lexus. Be safe or you will be sorry.<br>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>For a sure-fit you could go with the factory cooler but the price would be higher than quoted above.<p>If you go with an aftermarket cooler be sure to install a thermo switch for very cold weather.<p>George Dill<p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts