SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to change the transmission fluid in my 240 this weekend using the proceedure in the Bentley manual. The fitting on the transmission for the fluid return line from the cooler is really cramped by the exhaust pipe. My regular open end wrench can't get in there and still have room to turn it.

Is there a trick to this one? Crowfoot, stubby wrench, moving the exhaust pipe a little? I need a pearl of wisdom from those who have done this before.

Thank you,
Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Transmission oil change question. (SL8Brick)

I was just going to do the flush. The car has 114k miles. Trans works well, sometimes bumps at the shift points. Fluid appears to never have been changed. Oil is black even after draining 2.8 qts at a time via the pan plug. I've put 12 qts thru it this way and it's still pretty black.

Should I drop the pan as well?

Mark

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: Transmission oil change question. (Mark's 240)

Well, you could drop the trans pan to replace the filter screen, but chances are you'll find the dipstick tube oxidized onto the pan(almost impossible to remove without breaking either the pan or tube). I usually do what Dvolvoguy777 said, remove the upper(feed) trans cooler line from the radiator to do the "operating" flush. Since you say that you've already run 12qts through it this way, I'd run at least another 8qts through it again to see if you get the desired results. If the fluid was really bad to begin with, it may take alot of fluid until it starts to look red again.

Disclaimer: Just be aware that sometimes old trannys don't like new fluid. By completely flushing the fluid, you do run the risk of potential transmission failure.

Modified by SL8Brick at 4:44 PM 3-24-2006

Modified by SL8Brick at 4:46 PM 3-24-2006

1 - 6 of 6 Posts