SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
I bought a very nice 99 V70R that was destined for the wrecker as it needed a new tranny. I found one from a 2000 XC and had it put in. It works, mostly, but has a strong hesitation around 3500 rpm in first. Took it in to a non dealer, Volvo repair shop, and they attempted to update the tranny software, and their computer threw out the "unknown software" message and could not update the software. How can I tell if some previous owner changed the transmission computer? Do I just bite the bullet and take it in to my local Volvo dealer?
I think I read once that if the original computer is gone, I have to buy a brand new one and have it programmed to my cars VIN?
And issue #2, after the tranny replacement, the car takes around 5 to 10 seconds of cranking to start, and throws a bad Cam Position Sensor code, which it never did before, but my mechanic says he's seen that code before, replaced that sensor and still had the same problems, only cure was putting in a new Flywheel??? Man it's confusing! The car is sweet, my 3rd R but I'm frustrated. Any advise would be greatly appreciated...Cheers

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
1999 R's had the 4 speed auto. 2000's had the 5 speed auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello; yes, the V70R and V70 XC SE had the 5 speed, whereas the normal XC still had the AW-42 4 speed, which is what I pulled the tranny from. I was very careful about putting the correct tranny in the car!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
ALL 2000 XCs incl. SEs have a 4 speed.
ONLY the R has an AWD 5 speed in 2000

Sounds like you bought a bad tranny and find a new mechanic, he does not know Volvos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts