SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys-- what does anyone know about problems with the automatic trans. In the R? Started acting up 2 years or so ago-- intermittent hard shifting esp. from 3rd to 4th gear. Really not a big deal until recently. Things seem to be getting a bit worse at a faster rate. 2 dealers tell me all they can do is replace it for the incredibly low price of around $5,000. They say Volvo won't even consider a re-build etc. I am the original owner, car is completely stock, and currently has 84k miles. I'm in the Denver area, anyone know of a real good independent shop, or transmission expert I could check out. Car has been religiously maintained since new, and not abused--no track days etc. (plus I'm old). Thanks for any insight....

·
2,534 Posts
I say do a flush and put a bottle of Lucas Trans Conditioner and see if that helps. Its worth a try before paying that much to fix whatevers wrong. Make sure you go on vida and let the caR know you flushed the trans

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had similar issues..did tranny flush with valvoline maxlife..no other additive,picked up 3 mpg and shifts like a new car..cost me about 60 bucks..

·
Registered
439 Posts
Rebuild your transmission valve body. Shouldn't cost more than like $1500 and should solve your issue. If a flush doesent work

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,814 Posts
Have a transmission oil analysis done to determine if you have any contaminants in the oil. Specifically, find out if antifreeze is present. If so, you have a leak in the oil cooler located inside the radiator. I only mention this because we had similar symptoms that resulted in replacing both the radiator and transmission.

If the oil analysis is negative, one of the above recommendations might be the way to go.

Also, check out the P2R Owners Map sticky. There are several R owners in the Denver area who might be able to recommend a good independent shop.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
You need a valve body rebuild. There are a number of kits for the AW GT ck with Brett in Boulder or Quin in Denver

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
I didn't think the valve body issue bled over into the 2007's. I thought that was an early 2006 only thing. Are you guys thinking this is just a general valve body failure or a failure associated with the TNNs for GT's?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The redesigned valve bodies are included in transmissions having serial number 06J and later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts