SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Looks like I'm gonna need a new transmission soon. Been giving me problems for around 6-7 months and a flush didn't help and it's been getting worse.

I know the transmission is AW55-51SN so looking online I know used ones for the R run around $1000-$1800 on like ebay but what I was wondering is if the AW55-51SN out of a 2005 S60 AWD would also work?

Someone is selling one locally with 45K on it for $650 and it seems like a good deal. Ebay says they aren't compatible even tho they are both AW55-51SN transmissions but I know you can't really trust everything on ebay. So I wanted to ask the experts here before I spend $650 on something useless to me :)

I also see they sell Master Rebuild kits on ebay for the AW55-51 transmissions, what all does this entail?

I was gonna have my local indie (who I totally trust with my car) do the install or anything else I would need to have done. He said he would need to pull the transmission and check out the valve body and insides before I buy or do anything. He said it could just be a simple Valve body solenoid replacement (since the transmission has never been flushed and he said they could just be sticking) which he said would be "best case" and "worse case" being a total replacement.

He said if it is a solenoid problem that I could just buy the 3 solenoids off ebay and he could simply pull the valve body and switch them out. Since I was getting this error in VIDA

Went to the dealer a few weeks around and they wanted $4800 for a new transmission, no labor. They didn't even look at my car, they just told me "it needs a new transmission" and gave me that quote. I walked right out and vow to never go back. Now I know why the owner drives a Bentley :rolleyes:

Anyone know the difference between these 2 transmissions or can give me any advice?

I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*Bump*

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I would go with your mechanics idea. Then if he can't fix it with solenoids (I've seen this work before) you can worry about compatible used units. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go with your mechanics idea. Then if he can't fix it with solenoids (I've seen this work before) you can worry about compatible used units. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. Yea I'm probably have to set up an appointment soon and just hope for the best.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You don't need to pull the transmission to get to the valve body or the solenoids. Look up "AW55 Solenoids" on YouTube. You'll find a lot of information about rebuilding the solenoids and valve body for this transmission. Also, PM "JRL" (Jim) for advice. He likely knows more about the AW55 than most anyone here and is very helpful. -Wm.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
How many miles are on your transmission? Reason being, why go through all the trouble of replacing the valve body on a tired transmission.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles are on your transmission? Reason being, why go through all the trouble of replacing the valve body on a tired transmission.
106k. Wouldn't really call it "tired" just the dealership never flushed the tranny. They serviced it till around 55k then I got it and drain and filled around 78 then flushed at 104.

Shifts great early in the mornings, nice, strong crisp shifts. They just get worse and worse the longer I drive it during the day and worse when its 96+outside and been sitting in the heat. An ECU reset and parking it for a couple hours gets rid of the CEL and rough shifts for a couple days but they come back.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
At 106k I'd replace the whole schbang, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Also, you may want to check the fluid for coolant contamination. The trans cooler is in the radiator, and they are prone to leaking, which will take out the trans (thats what happened to mine). You dont want to replace the stuff and have same problem.
The dealer has a kit to test for contamination, although im sure parts stores have them too...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Also, you may want to check the fluid for coolant contamination. The trans cooler is in the radiator, and they are prone to leaking, which will take out the trans (thats what happened to mine). You dont want to replace the stuff and have same problem.
The dealer has a kit to test for contamination, although im sure parts stores have them too...
I doubt it.
If this had occured it would not be functioning at all right now

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
So, Looks like I'm gonna need a new transmission soon. Been giving me problems for around 6-7 months and a flush didn't help and it's been getting worse.

I know the transmission is AW55-51SN so looking online I know used ones for the R run around $1000-$1800 on like ebay but what I was wondering is if the AW55-51SN out of a 2005 S60 AWD would also work?

Someone is selling one locally with 45K on it for $650 and it seems like a good deal. Ebay says they aren't compatible even tho they are both AW55-51SN transmissions but I know you can't really trust everything on ebay. So I wanted to ask the experts here before I spend $650 on something useless to me :)

I also see they sell Master Rebuild kits on ebay for the AW55-51 transmissions, what all does this entail?

I was gonna have my local indie (who I totally trust with my car) do the install or anything else I would need to have done. He said he would need to pull the transmission and check out the valve body and insides before I buy or do anything. He said it could just be a simple Valve body solenoid replacement (since the transmission has never been flushed and he said they could just be sticking) which he said would be "best case" and "worse case" being a total replacement.

He said if it is a solenoid problem that I could just buy the 3 solenoids off ebay and he could simply pull the valve body and switch them out. Since I was getting this error in VIDA

Went to the dealer a few weeks around and they wanted $4800 for a new transmission, no labor. They didn't even look at my car, they just told me "it needs a new transmission" and gave me that quote. I walked right out and vow to never go back. Now I know why the owner drives a Bentley :rolleyes:

Anyone know the difference between these 2 transmissions or can give me any advice?

Same 5-speed AW for all the P2s, just different ECU programming (torque-limiting in first and second gear) to help it 'live' longer in the Rs. I'd let your mechanic pull it to check the solenoids, etc. If it looks like a complete rebuild/replacement, look for a decent used 6-speed auto instead - a MUCH better unit used in the '06, '07 Rs and all the new-series S60s and XC70s.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Same 5-speed AW for all the P2s, just different ECU programming (torque-limiting in first and second gear) to help it 'live' longer in the Rs. I'd let your mechanic pull it to check the solenoids, etc. If it looks like a complete rebuild/replacement, look for a decent used 6-speed auto instead - a MUCH better unit used in the '06, '07 Rs and all the new-series S60s and XC70s.
Would I need anything extra besides the 6speed to make it work in an 05? I would think I would need someone to program my ECU for something like that.

Also, instant torque delete! :D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I set up my appointment I will ask him to check for that first although I dont seem to be missing any coolant and its been the same level for awhile. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Would I need anything extra besides the 6speed to make it work in a 05? I would thing I would need someone to program my ECU for something like that.

I want to know this too for when the inevitable happens :D:D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Would I need anything extra besides the 6speed to make it work in an 05? I would think I would need someone to program my ECU for something like that.

I'm pretty sure it's a direct bolt-in replacement, but I don't know anyone who has attempted it. It will DEFINITELY need ECU reprogramming, and I heartily recommend the IPD +1 upgrade. You will have to call and discuss as they normally send you software to 'read' your current configuration, but you are going to need something much different.

I ended up having to do a complete rebuild on the AW 5-speed on my '02 S60 AWD at about 230,000 kms. Not very satifying as the transmission still has shifting issues and I could have put a used one in much cheaper. Although Volvo originally claimed these units (and the 6-speed) are 'maintenance-free', my dealer now recommends regular transmission flushes (not super hard to DIY if you check out other posts.) I had the 6-speed on my VR done with the timing belt, etc. at 200,000 kms and it feels great.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Fristly, you have to find out the cause of this issue.
Fixing the gearbox solves the problem but what initially caused it needs to be identified so it doesn't happen again.

Does your coolant level drop after 1 to 2 weeks of usage i.e. a slow leak process? If no, then let's rule out coolant contamination as the Diagnosis did indicate possible water leakage.

If it happens to my R, I will likely want to try the following to be really sure :

Flush - try the following while draining the oil - put it in Drive mode but dont rev and left any remainder transmission oil out. Then put it into "R" and let any remainder oil out. This is a disclaimer as it's done by the professionals at some workshop. Apparently this process clears the transmission oil out of the torque convertor.

Then fill it up with the transmission oil and try to do a gearbox adaptation process.

if the above is done and you are still getting the same symptom - it may look like it's time to overhaul the gearbox indeed.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My dodge had the solenoids all jammed up. Fluid, filter, and a new solenoid and it's back on the road kicking ass. It's pretty common in those, BMW GM sourced automatics, and the GM 4Lx0E transmissions. You have a knowledgeable mechanic, i'd try his idea and worst case if that doesn't fix it, you can use those new solenoids on the replacement trans.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Rostra linear solenoids

I bought a 01' v70 t5 w/ aw55-50sn earlier this year from a co-worker and the tranny was a POS - harsh shifts/ flares/ poor downshifts... (I only paid 1100). After a ton of reading I purchased the Rostra Linear Solenoid kit (3 solenoids) and then paid a tranny shop to put em in. The solenoids were 250 and the labor was 300. They simply dropped the subframe, opened up the valve body and installed... AFTER the adaption run and ~ 4 or 5 drain + refills it worked perfectly! I sold the wagon, told the new owner everything, and then got another one but this time w/ awd and 6sp manual... w/ a recent installed new clutch/slave.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts