SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help. I have a 2013 XC70 T6 with the Aisin trans. The dealer is telling me a i have a small leak around the transmission pan which is on the front vertical side of the trans housing facing the radiator. They want $1200 to reseal the pan with sealant. I would like to do it myself, it seems tight but reachable with the removal of a few hoses and the drivers side wheel liner. I'm very good mechanically, but it is a tight fit, I was expecting to find the pan on the bottom of the trans rather than the side... I can't find any videos or write ups on the process, so I'm looking for any advice I can find.

Has anyone done this job before and have any tips on the process? Any things to look out for? The vehicle has 107k miles, is well maintained and is very clean otherwise I'm not sure the leak would have been noticed. I was advised to fix it as it may get worse and affect the trans fluid level. I was planning on doing a couple of fill and flushes on the Aisin anyways. The trans was flushed via the dealer at 57K miles.

Thanks, I'll document what I do with pics as best as I can.

·
Registered
60 Posts
HI, I'm not going to be any help with this reply but I wanted to add that I was under our xc70 today doing the transmission flush and noticed a bit of fluid all over the transmission. I had initially looked at the pan you've mentioned as the culprit but my mystery fluid was an amber color. The trans fluid I drained out was brown. It's a decent deep red now after 2 full flushes. I'm still trying to figure out what my leak is.
Best of luck with your repair. I'm interested in how you go about this with pics.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was able to find some service information for the pan on a 2007 S80 3.2, but it should be relatively similar to your XC70, only difference being the piping for the turbo possibly. Also, I would check the vacuum pump just to ensure that it's not leaking onto the pan from up above. Your dealer is likely right, but just do a double check to be sure. If you don't plan on following Volvo's fluid check procedure, make sure you measure how much fluid came out and put that much back in when you're done. I will post the link to the proper procedure below if you go that route rather than measuring the fluid. I used an IR thermometer aimed at the pan rather than a scan tool to measure temp, but I do not know how accurate that is. Also check what fluid your car uses. I think there is a split starting in 2010, with 2010 and later models using AW-1 spec fluid rather than JWS 3309. The part number for the pan sealant is 1161409. In regards to the other post here, definitely take a look at your vacuum pump too. It's an extremely common problem on our cars and can make a mess around that part of the car. Thankfully it's also an easy fix if that is your problem.

Transmission Pan Procedure:
https://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/...ponent_information/specifications/page_10775/

Fluid Check Procedure:
Pg. 1 https://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/...transmission_fluid_and_the_filter/page_10765/
Pg. 2 https://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/...transmission_fluid_and_the_filter/page_10766/

Part Numbers:
1161409-Pan Sealant
1233068-Rubber ring for the level plug. Do yourself a favor and replace it. Mine leaked after I changed my fluid and didn't replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI, I'm not going to be any help with this reply but I wanted to add that I was under our xc70 today doing the transmission flush and noticed a bit of fluid all over the tarns. I had initially looked at the pan you've mentioned as the culprit but my mystery fluid was an amber color. The trans fluid I drained out was brown. It's a decent deep red now after 2 full flushes. I'm still trying to figure out what my leak is.
Best of luck with your repair. I'm interested in how you go about this with pics.

Thanks Sven! Your leak sounds like the vacuum pump seal that is so common. Mine was done about six months ago and I cleaned out the full engine bay which is how the dealer noticed the small trans fluid leak recently. The vacuum pump will leak straight down onto the trans then run down and flow back over the trans, engine, and steering rack making it look like a lot of different systems could be leaking. Luckily the vacuum pump is such a common issue and easy fix that everyone starts with that first.

Here is a video on how to fix it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ljbu1WRdo&t=1149s

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GreyS60,

Thanks so much, this is perfect! I really appreciate the info and the time you took to look it up. I'm ordering the sealant, o-rings, and AW-1 fluid right now from Tascaparts.com

My vacuum pump was resealed with the volvo kit about six months ago. I did a total detail on the engine bay top to bottom afterwards, which is how my dealer noticed the small trans leak weeping on to things as the bottom of the car was spotless.

I'll take some pics of the space, but there are a lot of pipes, hoses, etc right in front of the pan making the work area a really tight fit. I think I just need to remove the Turbo pipes and then see if I have to end up pulling anything else, hopefully not. I''ll document the process and post on here for everyone else, but my dealer did mention this is a very rare leak. They have only seen it happen twice, as the trans is sealed at the Aisin/Toyota factory and they seem to know what they are doing when it come to quality control...

Thanks again for the tips and advice!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I replaced my vacuum pump seal this past spring. No leaks around the pump now but the fluid all over the transmission persists.
I'm very new to Volvo so I'm not familiar with what other leaks may occur in this area of the engine bay. I can say that my transmission is absolutely covered in dirty fluid mixed with road debris.
Could it possibly be the upper mount under the battery tray? Is that mount hydraulic? Maybe Cam shafts seals? Something else?
I'm watching this thread for updates for the chance that I do tackle the transmission pan seal. I had just flushed the trans 2x and refilled using VidaDice to reset the level after final drain.
I'm ok with needing to do another fill if the pan seal does in fact need replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts