SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

I have a 05 V70R with 82k miles on it.

I have been noticing a slight rough downshift. I have been reading on the forums and wanted to first check the fluid level in the tranny. It needs to be changed from what I have read (not according to Volvo but you guys, and I agree). But.....

Removed the airbox tonight and pulled the dipstick. The car has been sitting for 2 days so it was stone cold and on a level surface. It read at the "Hot" full level. I cleaned and read it again, same thing.

My sister owned the car since 30k miles and we have every record and nobody should have added fluid from any service I could see.

Question is, that reading at cold, is this an issue? Should I drain some fluid?

The fluid on the stick did not look excessively dark or dirty on either read.

What are your guys thoughts?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Trans fluid level should be checked hot with the engine running. Drive the car for at least 20 minutes to heat up the fluid, then when parked with your foot on the brake go through the gears, P,R,N,D and back again, stopping several seconds at each position, then check the level.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is that possible with needing to remove the airbox and move radiator hoses. When it is hot AND running?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I tie the rad hose to the side with baling wire, have the air cleaner loosened and pushed aside and then depress the lock tab with long screw driver while pulling dipstick.
As I do this I swear I'm going to the pick n pull and grab a dipstick tube with dipstick and figure a way it goes into my R and ends up above the crap so it can be checked when I want and that I'm able to add ATF without so DAMN much hassle. The dipstick on this car makes the drain plug with the remove the little plug and let it run till quits deal of the 6 speed autos look like a grand idea.
If the correct fluid level was the height of one of the axle holes on final drive, pulling an axle and letting it run out would be better than the current dipstick.........The engineer that did this for damn sure drives Volvos with M66's and knew he'd never have to check or add fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts