SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2001 s60 with 180,000 miles and the trans has been slipping and shifting rough when going into second and third. Should I add fluid, do a high milaege fix treatment, or flush the old stuff and add all new fluid? Also which fluid would you recommend? Thanks in advance:beer:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Search B4 cover servo update for the rough/slipping shift characteristics.

I wouldn't recommend a flush at that high of mileage, as the friction materials will be washed away and may cause damage or failure to your transmission.

Mobil 3309 or Toyota Type IV if you do decide to flush/drain, fill the transmission.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Search B4 cover servo update for the rough/slipping shift characteristics.

I wouldn't recommend a flush at that high of mileage, as the friction materials will be washed away and may cause damage or failure to your transmission.

Mobil 3309 or Toyota Type IV if you do decide to flush/drain, fill the transmission.
180,000 miles is not a whole lot for an automatic transmission, maybe 180,000 really tough uphill miles would cause an excess amount of friction material to build up and cause the clutch plates to wear down resulting in the thick goopy fluid and slippery clutch plates working together semi-well. You have to remember that ATF fluid essentially acts as a solid when under the pressures that buildup inside the transmission's clutch plates, and this excess friction material only helps prevent the completely worn down clutch plates from slipping. Only incredibly high mileage transmissions, over 400,000 miles would typically see this kind of worn clutch plates.

I say, in my non professional opinion, that doing a transmission fluid flush, NOT POWER FLUSH LIKE JIFFY LUBE or any other auto place does, but an IPD style transmission fluid flush would definitely help smooth out your shifting.

If it doesn't then bpray's B4 servo cover suggestion is probably the culprit.

But make sure that you check your fluid level after the fluid has heated up to operating temperature and the car is on a level surface, so after the flush drive around hard for a bit, then come back home, check the fluid level, and add more/less to make it up to the hot line.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
180,000 miles is not a whole lot for an automatic transmission, maybe 180,000 really tough uphill miles would cause an excess amount of friction material to build up and cause the clutch plates to wear down resulting in the thick goopy fluid and slippery clutch plates working together semi-well. You have to remember that ATF fluid essentially acts as a solid when under the pressures that buildup inside the transmission's clutch plates, and this excess friction material only helps prevent the completely worn down clutch plates from slipping. Only incredibly high mileage transmissions, over 400,000 miles would typically see this kind of worn clutch plates.
Not necessarily. There are multiple accounts not only on here, but other various forums of doing a fluid flush in the mid-to-high 100K range and experiencing either worsened symptoms of transmission slippage and even failure altogether. But like you said, if anything, only do a drain sequence under the power of the fluid pressure itself.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Not necessarily. There are multiple accounts not only on here, but other various forums of doing a fluid flush in the mid-to-high 100K range and experiencing either worsened symptoms of transmission slippage and even failure altogether. But like you said, if anything, only do a drain sequence under the power of the fluid pressure itself.
I'm sure there are, 100,000+ miles of near abuse, hill driving, or track use would definitely cause the clutch plates to work overtime and wear down faster. This is why I refused to flush the transmission fluid in our 2002 S60 at 170,000 miles. It had been abused nearly it's whole life, so most likely it's symptoms would only have gotten worse.

To clarify, if you know what kind of miles the car has, calm miles, highway miles, no tracking or towing, then most likely doing a flush at 180,000 is alright, but if you don't know the cars history and the fluid is jet black with little particles then you're better off not flushing.

That being said I flushed a Volvo 5spd in an S80 with over 160,000 miles and it's fluid was so bad that it literally took 3-4 minutes to pump out 2 quarts of the thick black goop (but there was no metallic bits). So we replaced all the fluid, car eventually pumped the new fluid at the proper speed, and the car was a lot smoother shifting and got rid of the cold weather slipping problem he experienced.

If you go with the iPd style flush, remember that if you see little metallic bits, not bubbles, but little metal bits then stop and throw the fluid you just pumped out back in the transmission.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts