SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2013 Volvo S60 and got a quote to flush and replace the transmission fluid today of $400. Kind of blew me away because last time I did it it was like $200. What does everyone usually pay to have this done?

Thanks!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've got a 2013 Volvo S60 and got a quote to flush and replace the transmission fluid today of $400. Kind of blew me away because last time I did it it was like $200. What does everyone usually pay to have this done?

Thanks!
I did it myself for around $120. Just the cost of 12 quarts of oil. Really though, it's probably around an hour's worth of labor, parts and the fluid counter reset. So $400 at a dealership sounds right to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn't a dealership... local independent. Guy told me the dealership was like 700. Gonna check later this week when i have them do some warranty work.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ah, well either way.. $400 sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Thanks!
Haven't done one yet on the more current models but this is what it basically entails. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9p8Wph-M
It indicates the need for a VIDA/DICE use but if you're in a dire need do one without it, I would just carefully measure what you drain out and fill it back with that much. Or you can look for someone near you who has a VICE/DICE unit.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Haven't done one yet on the more current models but this is what it basically entails. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9p8Wph-M
It indicates the need for a VIDA/DICE use but if you're in a dire need do one without it, I would just carefully measure what you drain out and fill it back with that much. Or you can look for someone near you who has a VICE/DICE unit.
No need to measure out the fluid quantity, There's a level plug for that exact reason!

The software is utilized for resetting the fluid counter AND making sure the fluid is leveled at the correct temperature. It should be noted though that any OBD Bluetooth adapter and either torque pro or similar app can tell you fluid temperature. So in a bind, no need for VIDA/DICE. Just flush yourself and have dealership reset the fluid counter.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The slightly more expensive dealer versions use the power flush equipment, which does a pressurized change with the engine/transmission running - uses a little more than one complete fill, but ‘cleans’ out cooked oil and gears etc better.
The arguments for/against it are that worn solenoids can a) work better(less sticking) and b) fail faster with a flush (Volvo still has no service interval for transmission fluid).
Two previous Volvos with A/W 5-speed (‘02 S60 AWD) and 6-speed (‘07 V70R) both failed at about 330k km (just over 200k miles). The V70R was power flushed at about 170k km when the transmission was obviously ‘sticking’ in gear and worked a lot better right up to when it failed.
We only have 100k km on our ‘16 V60RD 3.0 with essentially the same A/W 6-speed and it’s working fine so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I was thinking of doing this a while back and I called the two dealers in my area and both said that's not something they do.

·
Registered
775 Posts
So speaking from experience here, I "changed" my V60RD fluid at around 65k miles. I was getting some funky shifts and decided a fluid change might help. About a month after the change, 2-3 shift started bumping hard and the dealer diagnosed as a slipping B clutch. The trans was replaced under CPO warranty.

Now, is this related to the fluid change? Well.. the trans has had a tough life. I drive it hard and I know the previous owner did too. The fluid came out with chunks and was BLACK. In this case, I think a flush and change would have yielded the same results as the fluid I changed out was probably so filled with clutch debris it was causing less slip between the clutches.

My take on fluid changes or flushed, whichever you prefer, is change often. Changing the fluid will not hurt the transmission, SO LONG AS you do it often and early on. Changing the fluid at 70 or 80k miles probably isn't a good idea as you're leaving a lot of debris behind. A flush would definitely be in your best interest.

I have a 13 XC60 with the same PT as my V60 (3.0T6 w/ aisin TF80SC). I am going to do a flush in this car (DIY) and see how that is reflected in fluid color change per quantity and overall shift quality. This car is also a CPO.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In the Volvo service manual for my 2015.5 S60 it lists to Check\Adjust the level of the Transmission fluid but there is no mention for replacing (Oil change for the Transmission) how often do you guys do this and do we even have to change this oil?

·
Registered
775 Posts
In the Volvo service manual for my 2015.5 S60 it lists to Check\Adjust the level of the Transmission fluid but there is no mention for replacing (Oil change for the Transmission) how often do you guys do this and do we even have to change this oil?
There is much speculation surrounding the oil change interval. Volvo doesn't specifically recommend replacing the oil HOWEVER, this same gearbox is used in several other branded vehicles and those do specify change intervals (50,000 miles).

Volvo claims, lifetime fill. Well, what is lifetime? I'm willing to bet lifetime is 100,000 miles. Something interesting on this is on several occasions, I had the dealership recommend a fluid flush on the transmission, even though Volvo doesn't suggest a fluid change interval.

I work for another OEM, I'll leave them unnamed... In our truck transmissions we claim lifetime fill. Well, lifetime is 120,000 miles.

My opinion, lifetime fill is a load of crap. Clutches wear, gears wear. All of that material will be deposited into the fluid and change viscosity and lubricity. Not to mention the heat cycling in the gearbox. Over time, all fluids break down. IMO, regular fluid flushes on any component (transmission, differentials, haldex, etc.) will lengthen the life of the part.

With this in mind, older gearboxes may suffer from fluid changes. The idea behind it is that some material build up could become dislodged and clog up a passage or make a solenoid stick. In this case, it might be wise to avoid changing the fluid. My auto cars, from now on, will get 35k transmission flushes.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There is much speculation surrounding the oil change interval. Volvo doesn't specifically recommend replacing the oil HOWEVER, this same gearbox is used in several other branded vehicles and those do specify change intervals (50,000 miles).
I was told by the dealer that the change should be at 50K. I think my bill was around $400 and they also updated the transmission software at the same time. My independent didn't have the correct fittings to do the flush.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did a Transmission fluid change/flush once I got my 2011 V60 D5. The Aisin TF-80SC holds 7 liters of fluid, but the official Volvo shop used 14 liters. They said the fluid was never changed ( car was at 164k km - 102k miles) and they were flushing until the color was right. The official recommendation from them was to change the fluid and the filter of the Aisin every 60k km, so ~37282.272 miles.
There are a lot of people that never change the Aisin box fluid because it is "lifetime" and end up with broken cars.
Price was ~250Euro for the entire flush/change, but I got a big discount for servicing the car with them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So speaking from experience here, I "changed" my V60RD fluid at around 65k miles. I was getting some funky shifts and decided a fluid change might help. About a month after the change, 2-3 shift started bumping hard and the dealer diagnosed as a slipping B clutch. The trans was replaced under CPO warranty.

Now, is this related to the fluid change? Well.. the trans has had a tough life. I drive it hard and I know the previous owner did too. The fluid came out with chunks and was BLACK. In this case, I think a flush and change would have yielded the same results as the fluid I changed out was probably so filled with clutch debris it was causing less slip between the clutches.

My take on fluid changes or flushed, whichever you prefer, is change often. Changing the fluid will not hurt the transmission, SO LONG AS you do it often and early on. Changing the fluid at 70 or 80k miles probably isn't a good idea as you're leaving a lot of debris behind. A flush would definitely be in your best interest.

I have a 13 XC60 with the same PT as my V60 (3.0T6 w/ aisin TF80SC). I am going to do a flush in this car (DIY) and see how that is reflected in fluid color change per quantity and overall shift quality. This car is also a CPO.

Yeah that's weird tho, the manual literally only says to top it off, Idk what's their point being vague about this matter.

·
Registered
908 Posts

Volvo claims, lifetime fill. Well, what is lifetime? I'm willing to bet lifetime is 100,000 miles. Something interesting on this is on several occasions, I had the dealership recommend a fluid flush on the transmission, even though Volvo doesn't suggest a fluid change interval.

I work for another OEM, I'll leave them unnamed... In our truck transmissions we claim lifetime fill. Well, lifetime is 120,000 miles.

My opinion, lifetime fill is a load of crap. Clutches wear, gears wear. All of that material will be deposited into the fluid and change viscosity and lubricity. Not to mention the heat cycling in the gearbox. Over time, all fluids break down. IMO, regular fluid flushes on any component (transmission, differentials, haldex, etc.) will lengthen the life of the part.

With this in mind, older gearboxes may suffer from fluid changes. The idea behind it is that some material build up could become dislodged and clog up a passage or make a solenoid stick. In this case, it might be wise to avoid changing the fluid. My auto cars, from now on, will get 35k transmission flushes.

Agree 100% I just did the wifes XC , its at 145 k KLMs , 90k Miles, and it was quite black....I kick my a$$ for not doing it sooner. I had planned on doing it sooner just never got around to it. P car only has 45 K KLMs and it still looks decent. I guess it depends on how long u plan on keeping it. "Lifetime" will for sure be MUCH lower, if u don't change it.

·
Registered
375 Posts

The 8 speeds now specify a 80,000 KM change interval for towing. The same 8 speed in the latest generation Lexus RX350/Highlander instead specify a 60,000 MI fluid change for towing.
They're starting to come around on the idea of lifetime fluid (probably due to warranty claims).

I did mine at 30,000 KM with fluid analysis; it came back as high metals, close viscosity to virgin ATF and low TAN.
It probably isn't a bad idea to drain the pan once in a while to clean out the wear metals; though based on the analysis, the fluid itself was in excellent shape.

·
Registered
504 Posts
yeah, lifetime...show me the official, written volvo definition of the lifetime mileage for the transmission.
I replaced the fluid on my 2012,s60, t5 at around 50,000, reset , and level checked with vida/dice. I also added an auxiliary cooler.

·
Registered
775 Posts
yeah, lifetime...show me the official, written volvo definition of the lifetime mileage for the transmission.
I replaced the fluid on my 2012,s60, t5 at around 50,000, reset , and level checked with vida/dice. I also added an auxiliary cooler.
Most OEMs consider a passenger vehicle lifespan to be 100,000 miles. Based on that, no trans fluid change is needed.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Most OEMs consider a passenger vehicle lifespan to be 100,000 miles. Based on that, no trans fluid change is needed.

By that token, they should also say that the timing belt is also good for the life of the car. They don't. They recommend you change it at 120k miles.
All this talk about lifetime and how it's defined is speculation and more philosophical than fact.
Bottom line is do what you feel comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts