SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 V8 is coming up to the 60k mark and I was thinking it would be prudent to get the transmission oil changed. I plan on keeping the car for another 100k miles at least. I really do not believe in the life time oil claim.

Has anyone had the transmission fluid changed or flushed? How much did it cost?

Is there any fluid that is better than the Volvo transmission oil.

Thanks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Is it the same 6-speed trans (TF80sc) as in the straight six cars? I changed the fluid in mine a couple of months ago, shortly after buying my V70 used. I think it's a good idea, especially if your driving is biased more toward city than highway. All lubricants shear down eventually, and they also pick up gunk from normal wear inside the transmission. Changing the fluid isn't that difficult if you are at all mechanically inclined, or you can expect to pay a few hundred dollars (maybe $300?) to a mechanic. Fluid (if I have the right trans type) is type JWS 3309, available from Volvo or as Mobil 3309. 12 quarts is just about enough to do a flush, and should cost around $100 all-in. If you do your own, I recommend having a new o-ring for the transmission cooler return line on hand in case the original gets mangled.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zircular:

It is the same transmission as the 3.2's. Thanks for the tip about the O ring.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My 2 cents, I posted in the IPD maintenance forum a while ago on this issue. IPD Ron replied that the computer that runs the tranny is programmed to allow smooth shifts with worn fluids and introducing new fluid can mess up shift quality? I dont see how that is possible? I also don't know what trans fluid is in our S-80, if you read my oruginal post. Napster you are right on about the o ring, didn't do it on our 04 v-70 and had leakage, luckily I caught it b4 it became an issue! JHW

·
Registered
723 Posts
Had ours done at the dealer, @40k miles. It was $225.00 for the service.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. I do not know how the tranny computer would be able to analyze the fluid and adjust the programming to compensate.

·
Registered
770 Posts
All I can say is that shift quality didn't change at all for me. Granted, I don't think my fluid was in really terrible shape. It was dark but still red and smelled OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts