SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2012 XC90 3.2 6sp with 80,000km (50,000m).

I had the trans fluid flushed and changed properly at a local Indy and now there are some quirks developing:
  • Shudder at low speed in lower gear
  • Sometimes under hard acceleration hesitation and then whumps into gear.

Is this thing done?

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,322 Posts
Did they use a transmission fluid exchange machine? Forcing fluid through? - This can cause build-up to loosen and cause other issues
Which fluid did they use? - Wrong fluid can cause issues
Was it fine before the fluid flush?
Did they do a reset to the computer?
What do you mean a proper fluid flush? Define...
How lfar have you driven it with the new fluid?
Anything else you can add?

More info is needed for anyone to help.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply I have answered your questions below in red.

Did they use a transmission fluid exchange machine? Forcing fluid through? - Yes
Which fluid did they use? - Wrong fluid can cause issues - I don't know but they are a 30yo reputable Volvo Mechanic I assume they would use the correct fluid - I could find out
Was it fine before the fluid flush? - Yes these issues have only started since the flush
Did they do a reset to the computer? - yes why would that have any bearing on these issues?
What do you mean a proper fluid flush? Define... as per your first question, forced fluid out and replaced with exact amount using their 'transfusion' like machine.
How far have you driven it with the new fluid? approx 2,000km (1,200m).
Anything else you can add? The mechanic said it could be a solenoid but that's just over the phone I need to take it in - just thought I would post the question here as well.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,322 Posts
It sounds like you have more questions for the mechanic. The counter for the fluid should be reset, not a full transmission module reset. 30yrs does not mean anything if the mechanic is stuck in old ways of doing things and older Volvos. Saying it's a solenoid sounds like the mechanic is fishing for an answer from the Volvo manual.

The fluid should be a WS type fluid. Universal or multi-type ATF does not work well. The WS (JWS 3324) type fluid is thinner than pre-2011 XC90 3.2 transmissions and the thicker universal ATFs might create these problems. Here is an example of the right fluid https://www.ipdusa.com/products/105...or-aisin-warner-transmissions-atf0ws-31256774
Only the fluid counter should be reset, not the full transmission module or adaptation.
Why did they use a fluid extractor machine instead of drain and fill?

I am guessing you already knew it could be mechanic error and that you should probably go to another mechanic to do another fluid flush, but this time doing it by the drain and refill (then run) method a few times (that works better for a mechanic shop) and then double check the level. Hopefully, this will solve your issue.

Lastly, please check the link about the 3.2 in my signature for your homework before going to any mechanic.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It sounds like you have more questions for the mechanic. The counter for the fluid should be reset, not a full transmission module reset. 30yrs does not mean anything if the mechanic is stuck in old ways of doing things and older Volvos. Saying it's a solenoid sounds like the mechanic is fishing for an answer from the Volvo manual.

The fluid should be a WS type fluid. Universal or multi-type ATF does not work well. The WS (JWS 3324) type fluid is thinner than pre-2011 XC90 3.2 transmissions and the thicker universal ATFs might create these problems. Here is an example of the right fluid https://www.ipdusa.com/products/105...or-aisin-warner-transmissions-atf0ws-31256774
Only the fluid counter should be reset, not the full transmission module or adaptation.

I am guessing you already knew it could be mechanic error and that you should probably go to another mechanic to do another fluid flush, but this time doing it by the drain and refill (then run) method a few times (that works better for a mechanic shop) and then double check the level. Hopefully, this will solve your issue.

Lastly, please check the link about the 3.2 in my signature for your homework before going to any mechanic.
Good advice, only thing I'll add from my research is to run the VIN for what fluid to use: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-in-owner-s-manual-JWS-3309-vs-AW-1-(JWS-3324)

Depending on the VIN break, he may want to go with JWS 3309 (T-IV) vs JWS 3324 (Type WS).

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,322 Posts
Great to remind of the switchover and VIN break. :thumbup:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2012 XC90 3.2 6sp with 80,000km (50,000m).

I had the trans fluid flushed and changed properly at a local Indy and now there are some quirks developing:
  • Shudder at low speed in lower gear
  • Sometimes under hard acceleration hesitation and then whumps into gear.

Is this thing done?
I have the exact same symptoms 1 year on after having a fluid change

The shudder is the torque converter slipping

Why is the bug question.
One thing that happens when changing fluids is that any suspended friction material is flushed out, potentially reducing friction on the friction surfaces.

I don't know what the answer to the problem is, I hope it does not mean a new transmission.

I am driving mine like a baby at the moment.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks I will read you links. There are only 3 Volvo service centres in my City 1 genuine and 2 Indies. They all insisted that using a transmission fluid exchange machine was the only proper way to do it. That pus me a ta bit of a disadvantage if your saying they are incorrect. Why would this be the case and how would this issue be fixed by changing the oil again using the drain and fill methods? Isn't the damage already done by your reckoning?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks I will read you links. There are only 3 Volvo service centres in my City 1 genuine and 2 Indies. They all insisted that using a transmission fluid exchange machine was the only proper way to do it. That pus me a ta bit of a disadvantage if your saying they are incorrect. Why would this be the case and how would this issue be fixed by changing the oil again using the drain and fill methods? Isn't the damage already done by your reckoning?
1) What fluid did they put in?
Often shops will use universal fluid in their machines.
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/transmission/bg-pf5-power-flush-and-fluid-exchange-system/
^This is a common transmission fluid machine that comes bundled with universal fluid. Why universal fluid?
For my fleet, I tend to stock Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF. Why? I only need to stock one type of fluid and can buy it in bulk. It happens to work great in most of my domestic and japanese vehicles.

2) VIDA is a source of truth written and updated by Volvo engineers. It has very precise instructions how to change the fluid and set the level correctly. This takes time vs the quick change machine.

3) If you're mechanically inclined, you can change your fluid in an afternoon.
This is an excellent tutorial for our transmissions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9p8Wph-M

·
Registered
492 Posts

Why is the bug question.
One thing that happens when changing fluids is that any suspended friction material is flushed out, potentially reducing friction on the friction surfaces.

I don't know what the answer to the problem is, I hope it does not mean a new transmission.

My XC60 was shifting odd 2 years in. A readaptation fixed it under warranty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzXAdxZpjWU

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,322 Posts
Regardless of what happened, we can all probably agree a new fluid change using correct fluid and the drain and fill method or at-home cooler line method should be done first. If adaptations were reset instead of the fluid counter, it is already too late and we can hope with new fluid and fluid counter reset, the computer will learn to shift properly.

generic_volvo_driver mentioned a good point about the fluid in the machine. Even if the fluid is changed to the correct fluid in the machine, who knows what type of fluid remains in the fluid exchange machine. If the shop does much older Volvos, then it won't be either JWS 3309 or JWS 3324.

thezoneS60, what is your VIN number?

Why is the bug question.

How many miles did you have on yours? The OP states the transmission was shifting fine before the fluid change and only has 50k miles. Good info though about how material can float in the fluid and this could be exacerbated by forcing fluid through rather than a drain and fill method. New fluid has fresh friction modifiers which help the friction plates.

My XC60 was shifting odd 2 years in. A readaptation fixed it under warranty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzXAdxZpjWU
That video, in the beginning, says all the warnings, like how the adaptations were done after the solenoids were changed. If there are mechanical changes to the transmission, it is the reason why adaptations should be reset. It also says that people complain of poor shifting after resetting adaptations without any solenoid or valve body work. Your XC60 might be different.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,322 Posts
yv1ct9556c1643353 comes after the 568001 VIN crossover from JWS 3309 (T-IV) to the JWS 3324 (WS) fluid. So you should have the WS fluid in your transmission. Since your VIN is much later from the crossover VIN number, there shouldn't be a question to use the WS fluid.

Did you call the shop to ask what fluid they put in or look on the work order for which fluid?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So further to this thread, I found out that the Volvo Indie used Valvoline Maxi life trans fluid for Toyota which is also recommended for use in this car. Not a Volvo one nor the Aisin one referenced by ChitownV in post #4 above.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you get it switched out since MaxLife is a universal type fluid, not a specific WS type fluid? It is the wrong fluid for your transmission.

This is the only Toyota specific fluid that can go into your transmission. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Automatic-Transmission-Standard/dp/B00CTUSEMU The aftermarket WS specific ones also work, such as Aisin or Idemitsu (TLS-LV).
Hmmm, very odd, the indie's here both insist that the drain and fill method is not appropriate and that the fluid exchange machine is the only way and that Valvoline Oil is the correct one. I'm kind of stuck here. They also charge ludicrous money for trans services.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,322 Posts
Hmmm, very odd, the indie's here both insist that the drain and fill method is not appropriate and that the fluid exchange machine is the only way and that Valvoline Oil is the correct one. I'm kind of stuck here. They also charge ludicrous money for trans services.
They like to use the fluid exchange machine because it works for a shop looking at the time it takes to complete a job (they must produce and get vehicles done). A fluid exchanger is a set it and forget it machine so they can do other work. If they insist on using the fluid exchanger, then bring your own WS transmission fluid, add 1-2 extra quarts in case the machine needs it (perhaps to flush out previously used fluid).

I understand not everyone can do their own DIY. Work with the shop's flexibility when you can, especially when it comes to proper transmission fluid.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They like to use the fluid exchange machine because it works for a shop looking at the time it takes to complete a job (they must produce and get vehicles done). A fluid exchanger is a set it and forget it machine so they can do other work. If they insist on using the fluid exchanger, then bring your own WS transmission fluid, add 1-2 extra quarts in case the machine needs it (perhaps to flush out previously used fluid).

I understand not everyone can do their own DIY. Work with the shop's flexibility when you can, especially when it comes to proper transmission fluid.
Thanks very much for the advice. I think they would be happy to use my own fluid, but that link above does not allow me to purchase in my country and I cant even find a listing for that fluid here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts