SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! owned one 2002 S60 turbo before, racked up 289,000 miles before i traded it in and happy to be back. Anyway. 2004 S60 2.4 NA automatic. car had a blown head, did a head job. and now the transmission is acting up. Make sure to read this slowly. When the key is in the the ON position with the engine off you can shift through all the gears and the correct gear shows up on the dashboard! perfect, no issue. Once you start the car after about 2-3 seconds whatever gear you're in dissapears and the gear selector goes blank --. if you try to shift into drive it feels like its automatically in 3rd gear, go into L and it will "Clunk" into gear hard. Same thing though, if you start the car Quickly, put it into drive, then start accelerating it shows drive and is in first gear, but then it blanks out after 2-3 seconds -- and goes into third gear. No codes get thrown at all. I have VIDA / Dice coming this weekend hopefully, already tried to replace the PNP with no avail. tried disconnecting the TCM and reconnecting. Im at my wits end and this is my Daily driver, anyone ever even heard of this???

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
Early P2 5 speed auto was notoriously bad after a while. You need a new trans or the valve body at least. I thought at least by 04 it has been remedied though...
Have you done a full flush? The gear selector on the dash dropping out seems more electrical though.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My guess is electrical related also. You'll get a good picture of what's going on once you can scan the car with VIDA. So the gear display going blank and the car seemingly starting out in 3rd (or 4th?) is essentially the transmission's limp mode safe guard. I've had a random, but probably not accurate T/C clutch code come up on mine before with the same symptoms and the car will seemingly lock into a gear (it always seemed like 4th though) and would do so with me while in motion on the freeway in traffic. Pulling over the car, shutting it off and restarting would resolve the issue. Mine I feel was related to heat soak under the hood that the TCM would pick up, or the trans itself soaking up heat from the engine/cooling system. In any event, yours sounds like a sensor is picking up something that's sending the trans into it own limp mode. While you don't have any OBDII codes for it, is your trans light coming on or any message on the message screen in the dash saying anything?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s definently electrical. If I quickly shift it it’s nice and smooth going into gear. No trans errors or anything on the dash. It’s so weird.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Before condemning your tranny,I would check the PNP /Neutral safety switch that is located on top of the tranny that the shifter linkage attaches to.It is totally possible that this is your issue.Get a used one for testing from a donor junker for a couple of bucks.Do a little research on how to replace and align it. Also have somebody move the shifter around while the engine is off to make sure that the linkage and cable don't have slop and it properly sets in all the detents on the tranny in correspondence with the shifter.
There is quite a bit of a learning curve with Vida so be patient with it.I don't know where but somewhere in Vida it must show what gear selections the shifter and tranny are in.I never looked for it myself but I hope ya find it and fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts