SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004.5 Volvo S40 T5 AWD 6SPD. I have a transmission clunk problem that sounds like what has been described in previous threads dedicated to this topic.

I have a better understanding of things after reading those threads, but I'm having trouble teasing out the solution from the discussion, so please forgive me for raising the issue again.

I'm hoping to get a few questions answered:

1) People have been told by Volvo this is "normal". Is this damaging? I get the impression that the clunk sounds like the transmission "picking up and dropping" the load of the car, which makes me cringe.

2) What's Volvo's technical name for the problem? Is there a specific name or number one can give to Volvo service, or is it still hit-and-miss hope they figure it out?

3) Relatedly, is there a uniform solution to the problem, and what does it entail? (This is what is most confusing from the old threads - everyone seemed to say something new magically fixed the problem).

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. I noticed this problem was much more apparent under heavy load. Anybody else have that experience?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Transmission Clunk (warpdrive)

By the way, I would really appreciate if somebody has the kindness to give quick, direct answers here for the benefit of myself and future readers (instead of "go search for these terms"). I defintiely chased through the previous discussion and learned a lot, but again was left with the thought "Seems like something fixes this, but I don't know what".

Thanks for anyone's help.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Re: Transmission Clunk (warpdrive)

Quote, originally posted by warpdrive »
By the way, I would really appreciate if somebody has the kindness to give quick, direct answers here for the benefit of myself and future readers (instead of "go search for these terms"). I defintiely chased through the previous discussion and learned a lot, but again was left with the thought "Seems like something fixes this, but I don't know what".

Thanks for anyone's help.

But why didn't you add your questions to the end of the previous discussions so people understand what has been said before?

UKMatt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts