SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Volvo S8 T6 01' has 67K miles on it. Intermittently, when I start up the car, and after idling for a few seconds I place it in drive, then the engine feels like it is choking and running rough. It feels like it is going to die but it never does. I thought it was the engine at first but the RPMs stay right at 1K . They don't waver at all. After about 3 seconds whatever the transmission is doing evens out and the car begins to move. It happens about every fifth time the car is started. My nearest Volvo dealer is 1K miles away and when I bring this to my local Ford dealer for servicing I would like to give him some idea as to what this may be. Like all intermittent stuff, I know it won't happen when I bring it in. Anyone with ANY ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Are you talking about when the engine is cold? If so then this is normal until it has warmed up......

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah that doesnt sound like a transmission problem to me if it will only rev 1k rpm. Could be an air induction/fuel problem or you may need new plugs. If you are starting it cold that could also be the culprit as it does take a second for the engine oil, etc to warm up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: Transmission?? choppy at startup (sether5029)

Tachometers are not always perfectly accurate. What happens when you press on the gas pedal while this happens? Does it bang into gear? This can be a transmission problem honestly. Have you changed the fluid? I honestly don't know if the computer switches idling characteristics in drive versus park, but if you got fresh fluid, do the simple things like MAF, idle air motor, and the fuel/air filters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts