SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a certified pre-owned 2015 XC60 T6 AWD in December 2018. In June I began experiencing a driveline shudder. The check engine light came on, took it to Volvo dealer, they diagnosed and replaced the fuel pressure sensor. The shudder did not improve. Got a second opinion from a trusted mechanic who said he was confident I needed a new transmission. Took it back to the dealer and they have had it for a week now and cannot diagnose the issue. The original tech, their lead tech, and a Volvo tech have all inspected it. They updated the software, didn't fix it. Says transmission looks fine. They are now saying that it might be the front axle (specifically the tripod joint) but cannot yet confirm. They said they did not see any markings on the axle that indicated it was impacted by a pothole, rock, etc.

Anyway, here is my question: back in April, Volvo Roadside Assistance sent out their contracted tow company to put on my spare tire. The guy jacked the car up in the wrong location and cracked my floor board puncturing a hole all the way through the driver's side floor. They paid for the bodywork and claimed it would have no impact on any components of the car. Is there a chance that my issue now is related to that incident? Especially given the fact there were no markings on the axle? It was repaired in April and this issue began in June. Thoughts? Any ideas what else it might be?

SO UNHAPPY with my purchase and entire Volvo experience :(

·
Registered
321 Posts
You don't say if the shudder is continuous, if it happens when accelerating, or decelerating, or maybe when turning right or left. Does the shudder have anything to do with transmission shifting? I had mild shudder at 70 mph, and that turned out to be a tire that was worn and out of balance. Bad engine mounts and/or bad transmission mounts might be causing the problem you are having. Did the mechanic who thought you needed a new transmission actually test drive the car? It is normal for the engine/transmission to move about slightly when under load. However, if the flexible polymer engine mount pads are defective, there will be excessive movement of the engine/transmission, under load, and shudder is a definite possibility. Also, it is much less expensive to replace engine mounts that it is to replace the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. The shudder happens when accelerating and occasionally while coasting. Not when decelerating or turning. Seems like it has to do with the transmission shifting. Yes, the mechanic did test drive the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Just heard back from the Volvo dealer service rep and they say that I need to replace both front axles, which, using aftermarket parts will be about $1500 including labor. It took them nearly 2 weeks to diagnose the issue. I'm nervous given my other mechanic said it was a different issue, so not sure who to believe.

Any idea if it seems reasonable to have to replace both front axles from wear and tear just 7 months after it was "certified pre-owned"? This is after having replaced the fuel pressure sensor and fixed the sunroof. A lot of stuff wrong with this car for being CPO, in my opinion.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the update. Had the shudder happened while turning the vehicle, under load, the front axles would be the likely cause. If you think about it, the front axle has to somehow turn with the wheel, and each axle has a "constant velocity", or CV, assembly, located at the outer end. These do wear out, eventually, but when this happens, they will make some noise when turning, and pulsing, or shudder, will be felt in the steering wheel. I have never experienced a shudder caused by worn front axle assemblies on an all wheel drive car. But that does not mean that the mechanic is wrong. It will be clear when the car is repaired and tested if the problem has been solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts