SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So...this happened today. The transmission has been extremely jerky the past two weeks or so. Error message went away after the restart.
Taking the car to the dealer.

Update: New transmission ordred.
Update #2: Transmission arrived at the Volvo dealership. ETA on repairs is <1 week.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Have never seen that error message pop up and probably not much help here but I've had the Turtle Icon with an "Engine System Reduced performance" message a couple of times in the past which was caused due to repeated heavy accelerations and went away within 30 seconds or turning Vehicle on/off. Kept bugging the Dealership and I'm guessing Volvo has a software fix installed 'coz I don't get that message anymore.

The jerky transmission sounds more like a hardware issue. The Dealer's your best bet.

Found this which might be of some help!

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?404465-Transmission-Acceleration-Performance-Reduced-(with-turtle-icon-amp-check-engine-light)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The jerky transmission sounds more like a hardware issue. The Dealer's your best bet.

Found this which might be of some help!
Thanks.
Yeah, I saw that thread.
Interestingly, transmission started behaving that way after they updated its programming about a month ago.
I have an appointment later today to drop it off, but this is annoying.
FWIW, the message popped up at 20 MPH about 15 seconds after the drive started.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Thanks.
Yeah, I saw that thread.
Interestingly, transmission started behaving that way after they updated its programming about a month ago.
I have an appointment later today to drop it off, but this is annoying.
FWIW, the message popped up at 20 MPH about 15 seconds after the drive started.

Bring a copy of the photo with you to your service visit in case dealership cannot replicate the problem. Hopefully these threw some hard codes so dealer can see the incident when hooking up a scanner.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bring a copy of the photo with you to your service visit in case dealership cannot replicate the problem. Hopefully these threw some hard codes so dealer can see the incident when hooking up a scanner.
Yeah. Taking it in around 3 p.m. EST. Already emailed the pic to all the service advisors.
I have a feeling they'll go with "nothing's wrong", like they always do, but I ain't accepting that.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, here's an update.
The car stopped engaging "Reverse" gear. I mean it does engage it, with a huge thurd, after you put it in "R" and wait 15-30 seconds.
Dropped it off at the dealer. They said they've never seen anything like it and will most likely be contacting Volvo tomorrow for advice.
So now there's nothing to do but just to wait and see....

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Yeah. Taking it in around 3 p.m. EST. Already emailed the pic to all the service advisors.
I have a feeling they'll go with "nothing's wrong", like they always do, but I ain't accepting that.

Depends on dealer, but yes, I've experienced the nothing is wrong reply, too. Why I hope the vehicle has thrown hard codes!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on dealer, but yes, I've experienced the nothing is wrong reply, too. Why I hope the vehicle has thrown hard codes!
With the new issue of "R" not engaging there was no debate now.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
With the new issue of "R" not engaging there was no debate now.
Nothing more fun when our expensive toys brake....I had a mirror that sounded like a Jumbo Jet getting ready for take off. Bad mirror motor but the dealer said they'd never seen or heard a mirror make such a noise ever!

Guess there's some comfort in being unique and STARTING a trend! Hope they figure out what's wrong.. Bad Tranny since gears won't work?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing more fun when our expensive toys brake....I had a mirror that sounded like a Jumbo Jet getting ready for take off. Bad mirror motor but the dealer said they'd never seen or heard a mirror make such a noise ever!

Guess there's some comfort in being unique and STARTING a trend! Hope they figure out what's wrong.. Bad Tranny since gears won't work?
I'm not gonna pretend I know what's going on.
I'm in a loaner (base XC90 T6 Momentum) so just waiting now to see what's what.
It's unfortunate that it happened, but what can you do.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:
Dealership tested the vehicle and concluded the transmission needs to be replaced.
They're waiting on Volvo to decide (and I quote) on "the next steps to take". Said it'll be at least a few days.
So yeah, I must be the first one with this issue, since they said they never heard of this problem before and couldn't find any documentation on it elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Update:
Dealership tested the vehicle and concluded the transmission needs to be replaced.
They're waiting on Volvo to decide (and I quote) on "the next steps to take". Said it'll be at least a few days.
So yeah, I must be the first one with this issue, since they said they never heard of this problem before and couldn't find any documentation on it elsewhere.
EVERY time there is a problem, it is the first time. It's the cardinal rule of a car service department.
I don't want to jinx you. But it is not "a few days". Good luck!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EVERY time there is a problem, it is the first time. It's the cardinal rule of a car service department.
Usually common issues could be found on this forum. I haven't seen this particular issue here.
Also, don't really care about whether it's a first time they see it or not, as long as they drip the new transmission in there and give it back to me soon.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Update:
Think the first part is playing coy. I highly doubt you're the first person to have had a transmission fail.....So not sure about the veracity of their statement.

How you proceed here is going to be up to you.....If your car has been in for similar issues related to the transmission, you could force a Lemon Law or Trade Assist into another Vehicle....If this is your first such issue, then ride this out, see if the repair corrects the problem, and proceed as normal.

General FYI: Most states have Lemon Laws stating that if the car remains out of service for more than 30 cumulative days (not all at once could be several repairs), the car is a Lemon.

Hope you don't have to go down this road, but it's a bummer a 2018 has suffered such a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think the first part is playing coy. I highly doubt you're the first person to have had a transmission fail.....So not sure about the veracity of their statement.
From what the tech and advisor told me - this is not a repairable issue. (Meaning the car needs a new transmission, can't repair the old one). They did mention they have seen a similar issue with a "D" gear in an S90, but it was a software issue. Mine is hardware, according to their analysis.

This is the first time this issue came up with our car. So I'm just gonna wait to see what Volvo comes up with.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
From what the tech and advisor told me - this is not a repairable issue. (Meaning the car needs a new transmission, can't repair the old one). They did mention they have seen a similar issue with a "D" gear in an S90, but it was a software issue. Mine is hardware, according to their analysis.

This is the first time this issue came up with our car. So I'm just gonna wait to see what Volvo comes up with.

I meant playing coy in never seeing a transmission fail. Not in that the transmission could be rebuilt or their option to replace is incorrect. More so, I highly doubt you are the first ever own to have stumbled in needing a new transmission.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I meant playing coy in never seeing a transmission fail. Not in that the transmission could be rebuilt or their option to replace is incorrect. More so, I highly doubt you are the first ever own to have stumbled in needing a new transmission.
Like I said before, I don't doubt they have seen something like that before.
However, haven't seen people mentioning a failed tranny on an SPA car here on SwedeSpeed yet.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Like I said before, I don't doubt they have seen something like that before.
However, haven't seen people mentioning a failed tranny on an SPA car here on SwedeSpeed yet.

Same. I imagine it's not a common occurrence to have tranny fail. But I think dealer stating they've never seen one is a bit of an overstatement.

Hope it gets fixed and you're back on the road ASAP. Good thing is you have a loaner! So you aren't without wheels.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't want to jinx you. But it is not "a few days". Good luck!
It's funny - this is exactly what the service department told me yesterday about my defective windshield (2019 Inscription Windshield thread) - it was the first time they ever saw this....

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
It's funny - this is exactly what the service department told me yesterday about my defective windshield (2019 Inscription Windshield thread) - it was the first time they ever saw this....
Chris Griffin says it best......

67fe67d1a19f3854e61bdbf53508fb2dedc84ff078b1a3f595582cb3d1822060.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts