SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'05 V50 T5 M66, '04 XC70, '98 V70 AWD, various junk from other brands
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the middle of replacing the radiator as per VIDA in my XC70, and all was going well until it came time to remove the lower transmission cooler line. I just can't get the thing out. I've pulled so hard I thought I was gonna break it, and tried the air hammer method that was mentioned in this thread, but I just can't get the thing to come off. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get it without breaking it?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I’ve never had a problem removing those lines. This is with the green clips, correct?
Correct. Top one came out without issue, but the bottom one was a struggle.
I ended up getting it after an hour and a half of struggling with it. Got a set of vice grips around the part in the radiator it connects to and a set around the cooler line itself. Get a prybar in there and pried it apart. With some effort, it popped off. Now to finish the job, hopefully without more setbacks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Correct. Top one came out without issue, but the bottom one was a struggle.
I ended up getting it after an hour and a half of struggling with it. Got a set of vice grips around the part in the radiator it connects to and a set around the cooler line itself. Get a prybar in there and pried it apart. With some effort, it popped off. Now to finish the job, hopefully without more setbacks.
I’m sure you’ve already tried this, but I’ve found with stuck things instead of pulling sometimes a bit of a twist (there’s plenty of slack in the soft line) in place will then allow for you to remove. You’re basically breaking up the crud that is preventing a direct pull.

Also, if it’s that bad off you might want to think about replacing the line altogether, but given the age of these cars I don’t like having to disconnect from the vital components (in this case trans).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m sure you’ve already tried this, but I’ve found with stuck things instead of pulling sometimes a bit of a twist (there’s plenty of slack in the soft line) in place will then allow for you to remove. You’re basically breaking up the crud that is preventing a direct pull.

Also, if it’s that bad off you might want to think about replacing the line altogether, but given the age of these cars I don’t like having to disconnect from the vital components (in this case trans).
Yep, pulling and twisting proved fruitless. I’m pretty sure the radiator side of that fitting was rusty inside , and was preventing the o ring from getting over that lip. It twisted quite easily.
I’ve inspected it and it looks fine otherwise, so it’ll get getting new o rings and it’ll be going back on unless I see something concerning. It’s come out of the car completely at this point, as I’ve taken the radiator out and am now replacing the transmission valve body. Once it’s back together, the radiator is going back in. Leaving it out makes access to the valve body and cover so much easier

·
Registered
89 Posts
Let me give you a warning, I've had to remove the hoses on dozens of cars, if not hundreds, when that thing is stuck - there comes a moment when you break the plastic nozzle from the radiator by accident.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me give you a warning, I've had to remove the hoses on dozens of cars, if not hundreds, when that thing is stuck - there comes a moment when you break the plastic nozzle from the radiator by accident.
Oh yeah I did that - thankfully the radiator is getting replaced

·
Registered
186 Posts
So I'm in the middle of replacing the radiator as per VIDA in my XC70, and all was going well until it came time to remove the lower transmission cooler line. I just can't get the thing out. I've pulled so hard I thought I was gonna break it, and tried the air hammer method that was mentioned in this thread, but I just can't get the thing to come off. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get it without breaking it?
I've had problems removing the cooler lines because when compressing the side tabs the retraining edge doesn't compress far enough inward to be able to pull in the line out. I used a couple of pick tools to compress the retaining edge inwards enough to release the line. You can see the edges that hold the line in place and if it's not compressed inward enough it doesn't matter how hard you pull the line, it's not going to release the cooler line.

Auto part Plastic Fashion accessory Transparency Metal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts