SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to replace the automatic transmission in my '05 S40 2.4 with a manual transmission? She currently has 111,000 miles on the odo and getting scary bad shifts at 2 - 3. I'm prepared to replace the trans when the time comes, especially since Volvo has the lifetime warranty but was thinking it would be even better if the replacement were a manual. Any thoughts/opinions or experience in this matter would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
This has become extremely difficult & costly due to the engine/car electronic management system. Put it right out of your mind unless you have an entire parts car sitting right next to you & a friend at the dealer for software programming.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pc, my nephew is the svc mgr at a Volvo dealership but thought I'd run it by you guys before I talked to him about it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
last guy who i know of who seriously considered trying to do that sold his car and bought a c30 with a manual... much smarter option.

I hear you though with these auto transmissions, My 2nd-3rd can be a bit harsh, especially after i put all new motor mounts in... and especially at low speeds or using the geartronic mode. I think it will last the life of the car though, i doubt it'll need to be replaced unless something major happened.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
last guy who i know of who seriously considered trying to do that sold his car and bought a c30 with a manual... much smarter option.
I wonder who that was? :p

As stated you'll basically need a full donor parts car. The dealer cannot program the new transmission, the only people who claim to have a tune for this conversion is ARD... Shark might be willing to give it a shot now.

Having spoke with a few of the Volvo master techs in the US, they weren't even sure what to do. Last "thought" was to leave the auto ECU hooked up with the car thinking it's in neutral at all time, but then that might make things go wacky when it's sensing acceleration.
All in all, it was going to be about $5k in parts and labor while being the US guinea pig for the tune. So instead I sold my car and pitched in an additional $3k to get my dream C30.

As these cars get cheaper, it makes this project a little more realistic. But it's almost not even worth it considering the value and cost/risk.
If you're truly adamant about having a stick, I would advise selling it now before you invest too much in your current car. Ask me how I know...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts