SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'04 2.5T AWD<p>I've been hearing the occasional click when shifting into Drive or Reverse over the last while, and it seems to be considerably worse today.<p>Just sitting in the parking garage with my foot on the brake, I switched back and forth between reverse and drive, and it would happen at least 90% of the time. It's to the point where it's more than a click, closer to a knock... not quite a bang.<p>Perhaps it could be to do with the warmer weather and the melted snow everywhere?<p>I'm really hoping it's OUTSIDE of the transmission and not inside...<p>I'm going to be doing a tranny flush within a month or so, and I'm waiting on a polyurethane transmission mount assembly from IPD. I also have a polyurethane engine stabilizer bushing waiting to go in, and I want them in as soon as possible, but I'd rather hold off on putting any more strain on the tranny until I find the problem... unless one of these mounts could be the problem?<p><br>Any ideas? Suggestions? It sounds like something that could get more serious pretty quickly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: Tranny knocking?? (jerkitt)

How many miles? With age and ware I would expect some noise from all the gear clusters changing direction. Old fluid will make it more noticeable as it has broken down and provides less viscosity with age decreasing the fluid gap between gears.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at about 97,000 kms now... just had the trans. fluid replaced<p>I just lowered the car as well this past weekend, and it seems to be inconsistent?<p>It's sometimes really bad, and sometimes not at all... <p>I had a shop look at it the other day, and they said there doesn't seem to be any play at the ends of the axles in the front.<p>obviously something's up here, and I have a feeling that putting in the upper and lower urethane bushings/mounts will make this issue worse :S

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aaaaaaah that seems to be basically the issue.<p>However, quickly scanning through a few results, I didn't notice anybody mentioning the noise happening at a stop when switching between gears.<p>I'll make some calls tomorrow and see if I can find those XC90 axle bolts and how much... hopefully it abolishes this noise, because it's almost embarrassing :S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts