SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 850 turbo with a peculiar habit-- when going downhill with no throttle pressure she downshifts. If I apply a bit of throttle she stays in current gear. 2nd problem- is it normal for the car to drop 500 rpm when you take your foot off the throttle at 60 mph? When I reapply pressure she downshifts for a second then goes back to highest gear. (feels like a down shift anyway)<P>Please need your advice..<P>Thanks,<P>Dave

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kakalak:<BR><B>I have a '95 850 turbo with a peculiar habit-- when going downhill with no throttle pressure she downshifts. If I apply a bit of throttle she stays in current gear. 2nd problem- is it normal for the car to drop 500 rpm when you take your foot off the throttle at 60 mph? When I reapply pressure she downshifts for a second then goes back to highest gear. (feels like a down shift anyway)<P>Please need your advice..<P>Thanks,<P>Dave</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Dave,<P>the 2nd item you report, that is normal. The 850s (and S/V/C70 automatics) have this feature that is like a "lock" gear, on highway speeds which is lick overdrive. When you take your foot off the gas pedal, then the transmission gets out of that lock mode and into regular gear. Reapply enough pressure to keep cruising and in a few seconds it downshifts a few hundred RPM, back in the "overdrive" mode.<P>Yannis<P>P.S. BTW, you may get more responses if you post this in the 850 section. This is for S80s.<BR><P>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts