SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish my first post were of excitement and joy. However, it wont.. I bought my xc with 127k with records from Volvo in Maryland. I can't get the dealer to release any previous records to me..and so on the way home I make a quick stop, co.e back shift into reverse and slam into reverse it did. The car had been sitting for 7 months so I thought maybe a little Volvo arthritis..? I shift into drive and have 3rd gear maybe.. couldn't tell,but much there. Long story short, the dealer disconnects the awd and angle gear. Still nothing,so I drove 10 hours to Ft.Bragg NC for a transmission .. I find one with 53k on it. He said it had been on the shelf for several years, and that brings me to my concern.... do you guys think that the tranny with new seals, filter, and volvo fluid will be OK with low milage but all that time sitting in climate controlled shelf? I have read and read, and can't wait to get my Volvo back.. I'm patiently waiting on the $1,000 ; 53k tranny to be put in... I'm so worried because I already love the car and I need this to work out... its just the time on the shelf thing.....

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
What year 04?
Install or rebuild the valvebody, half to 2/3 less of the price of a tranny and should solve your problem.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Can't you return the car to the dealer within 3 days for any reason? I'd say a busted transmission is a pretty good reason. Who knows what else they're hiding from you with that car.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Wow, downer. I would think that tranny will be fine. Nice low mileage! Good luck!!! Keep us posted!

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can't you return the car to the dealer within 3 days for any reason? I'd say a busted transmission is a pretty good reason. Who knows what else they're hiding from you with that car.
You have to decide at the time you buy the car whether to pay $300 extra for the 3-day rescission rights. I think that's how it works in MD.

Other than that, a 2004 car is going to be sold "as is". They don't usually offer a limited drivetrain warranty on something 15 years old.

JRL above gives best advice.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
You have to decide at the time you buy the car whether to pay $300 extra for the 3-day rescission rights. I think that's how it works in MD.

Other than that, a 2004 car is going to be sold "as is". They don't usually offer a limited drivetrain warranty on something 15 years old.

JRL above gives best advice.
I may be wrong but I thought it was a federal law.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
His 3 days were up today at midnight.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
First thing is to read the codes with DiCE/VIDA. You may have something as simple as worn brake pedal sensor. That would send engine into 4th gear.

I had at least 3 problems that felt like transmission is gone, but it was not transmission.

Read the codes.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
His 3 days were up today at midnight.
Yeah, well, ideally he would have returned the car immediately instead of trying to fix it. I feel like there's more surprises in store for him with this car.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Guys, be nice. Enough of the turmoil for OP as it is for you to put more gas on the fire.

To OP, relax. You'll be fine. It is very unlikely that "everything" is bad with the car. Yes, you could have returned the car but what's done it's done and in the past. Great you found a very low miles transmission. Fresh fluid is great. After you drive it a bit or when you get home make sure you flush the fluid again just to make sure that whatever oil varnish has formed on the shelf is flushed out. I had great results with SeaFoam on Toyota auto transmissions. I do not own a Volvo auto so can't advise pro or cons but just something for you to research.

Enjoy your new ride. All this will be soon forgotten.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts