SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed throughout this week a vibration/hum only on the highway in 5th..The car is a 2005 S40 T5 AWD Auto trans..

When cruising at 55kph noticed trans will shift to [email protected] vibration/hum noise is heard throughout the car..at [email protected] it is the louded..after this speed the vibration/hum noise will die off but is still there.

With it being tiptronic, if I down to 4th at 80kph, all of this concern is deleted..shift back to 5th and it's back in action..I've noticed to that when it first goes into 5th, vibration cocnern is not there for about 1 second delay..then rpm lowers slightly and vibration is present..kind like as if the concern is only present when overdrive is activated in 5th gear..and auto downshifting to pass when in 5th is very slow lately before going to 4th on it's own

..anyone else experience this??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi it sounds like you have a valve body problem! What is the mileage of vehicle and has it had a fluid change? I had simular problem with my T5 same here ,I changed fluid and reset gearbox counter ,problem is gone but down shift to second it little hard that I believe is commen problem!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
car is high mileage, I have 184,000km, I'm the second owner..got the car 3 years ago with 137,000km..it was always dealer serviced by previous owner, I have the whole ADP printout of the history, last service done at the dealer was the 132,000km. I'm a mechanic by trade, so I take care now of my own servicing.I have not replaced the fluid in the trans..nor do I know if the trans fluid has been replaced on the dealer scheduled services..should I change it and how would I reset the trans fluid counter?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a bit of searching, Volvo has a TSB 43-48 concerning coolant contamination in the tranmission fluid. With the coolant mixed itno the trans, cocnern is the same described as mine concern of 4th and 5th gear vibration. Hoping it's not to late and bad of a problem for I just started noticing the vibrations..gonna have it checked out this week

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
TSB

BACKGROUND:

The root cause for some automatic transmission failures is glycol contamination from the engine/transmission cooling system. Severe cases of contamination are easy to detect by a visual inspection. The transmission fluid will have a milky appearance and there may be signs of transmission fluid in the coolant reservoir. Less severe cases are impossible to detect without doing a chemical analysis of the transmission fluid. This slight contamination is easy to overlook and will result in a repeat transmission failure.

A small leak from the cooling system into the transmission can cause driveability problems long before there are any visual signs of contamination.

SYMPTOMS OF COOLANT CONTAMINATION:

The most common symptom of coolant contamination is shudder; a high frequency vibration.
^ On AW55 transmissions, the shudder normally occurs while in torque converter slipping lock-up mode. It is most easily reproduced by driving slightly uphill at about 40 MPH (65KPH) in 4th or 5th gear with light pedal at 122°-158°F (50-70°C) transmission oil temperature.

^ On the GM4T65 transmission, the shudder normally occurs during upshifts.

^ On all transmissions, other symptoms such as harsh shifts, slipping, flare, loss of drive, other DTCs, etc... are possible but not likely.

The Volvo test kit, PN 30783360, will accurately detect even very low levels of glycol contamination in transmission oil. One test kit contains materials to perform 25 tests.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My car has been doing the same, T5 AWD v50, with automatic. My solution thus far has been not to drive at 55k or at 80. Is this something I should get looked after right away? Will there be any damage? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So today I changed my trans fluid..I managed to get out 7.5L per mitchel instructions, and refilled with Mobile 1 3309 ATF..for a 5L bottle cost 29.99 at canadian tire. I bought 3 x 5L bottles..1 bottle used to flush and fill and 1 bottle used 3/4 to fill..hehe 3rd bottle is going back to the store for a refund, never had to open it..betetr safe than sorry :D

On the first drive after the fluid change, vibration/shudder wasn't noticed in 4th anymore..but at 80km in 5th only once locked up I can slightly feel the shudder, I actually hear the vibration/shudder more than I feel it on a flat road..

All-in-all it has reduced by 70%, I believe it just needs to be driven to see further results and get the new fluid to the needed parts...I'll post back in a weeks time to see if the conern is reduced more **cross fingers**

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Good to Hear : :thumbup:
Well Try the the
: AOC and the Rear Gear - If You can due the Transmission , Your able to due those also .

The Two Plugs on Driver side of the Front half of the Alu. Pumpkin are Hidden a little , but not to Bad .
It is best to due these on a Lift , as pulling fluid and then Pushing It back in will take some time .

Some use a Turkey Baster with a Hose to due this - that will take 10-14 times each .
IN & Out . Cheap One and Cut the End for Larger Flow .

I used a Boat Oil Suction - Pump as I happen to one I use in the Cold Months , so I don't have to crawl under or remove Splash shield.
( Warm Oil of Course ) ;)
Remember to drive in a few figure 8's after wards-it works the Fluid into all Area's . ( AOC )
:thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
TSB

BACKGROUND:

The root cause for some automatic transmission failures is glycol contamination from the engine/transmission cooling system. Severe cases of contamination are easy to detect by a visual inspection. The transmission fluid will have a milky appearance and there may be signs of transmission fluid in the coolant reservoir. Less severe cases are impossible to detect without doing a chemical analysis of the transmission fluid. This slight contamination is easy to overlook and will result in a repeat transmission failure.

A small leak from the cooling system into the transmission can cause driveability problems long before there are any visual signs of contamination.

SYMPTOMS OF COOLANT CONTAMINATION:

The most common symptom of coolant contamination is shudder; a high frequency vibration.
^ On AW55 transmissions, the shudder normally occurs while in torque converter slipping lock-up mode. It is most easily reproduced by driving slightly uphill at about 40 MPH (65KPH) in 4th or 5th gear with light pedal at 122°-158°F (50-70°C) transmission oil temperature.

^ On the GM4T65 transmission, the shudder normally occurs during upshifts.

^ On all transmissions, other symptoms such as harsh shifts, slipping, flare, loss of drive, other DTCs, etc... are possible but not likely.

The Volvo test kit, PN 30783360, will accurately detect even very low levels of glycol contamination in transmission oil. One test kit contains materials to perform 25 tests.
So what's the fix that Volvo describes in the TSB? I'm kind of concerned since mine does this (I think).

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The TSB only outlines how to check for contamination with the Volvo kit. Transmission Cooler replacement would be the fix as that's the only point where mixing could occur.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The TSB only outlines how to check for contamination with the Volvo kit. Radiator replacement would be the fix as that's the only point where mixing could occur.
The trans cooler is not part of the radiator on S40..it is a stand alone cooler thats scewed to the fan shroud..I did not use the strips for my coolant level has been the same for the past months and when I drained out the trans fluid, it was a very dark color but not milkly and was of the same ATF viscosity..coolant would of made it lighter and milky.

Good to Hear : :thumbup:
Well Try the the
: AOC and the Rear Gear - If You can due the Transmission , Your able to due those also .

The Two Plugs on Driver side of the Front half of the Alu. Pumpkin are Hidden a little , but not to Bad .
It is best to due these on a Lift , as pulling fluid and then Pushing It back in will take some time .

Some use a Turkey Baster with a Hose to due this - that will take 10-14 times each .
IN & Out . Cheap One and Cut the End for Larger Flow .

I used a Boat Oil Suction - Pump as I happen to one I use in the Cold Months , so I don't have to crawl under or remove Splash shield.
( Warm Oil of Course ) ;)
Remember to drive in a few figure 8's after wards-it works the Fluid into all Area's . ( AOC )
:thumbup::beer:

I had teh AOC pump changed in 2010..don't know if the dealer had to drain and replace teh fluid...but I don't believe this would cause the Vibration/Shudder I feel at 50-80kpm in 4th-5th torque converter lock-up only..if the torque converter doesn't lock-up I get no vibration/shudder...I'm lost as to what else it is..gonna put some more mileage on the new ATF fluid and see if a gain more results

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I have heard a software update takes care of that also , but don't Know anything about that .
I have also heard that changing the Lower ( Engine mount Trans mount ) relieves some Drive Train Vibrations .

Let Me ask You again , You said You Hear this ( Now ) More then Feel It ?

If so - Please try to give a better description of Hertz & Frequency ?
Also just to Summarize : You have checked the Upper Engine Mount & Rear Muffler Hangers anything else ?

These are some simple courses of action .
Hope It's something Simple .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't checked the moutns yet..I will do though, I haven't heard any clunking from thoses area's, and being the concern appears only lock-up on 4th-5th gears..never even thought to check.

I do feel the vibration, but it is now heard more than it is felt, hertz/Frequency, I'd record it but I don't think a smart phone would pick up the noise..would need an amplifier on the mic..best described as a out of balance driveshaft. If I was to listen to this noise as a recording, 100% a driveshaft out of balance..just noise isn't really speed related as to it's gear related. I could drop to 3rd at 80kph and the concern is 100% deleted, while coasting upshift to 4th wait for lock-up-slightly present, up to 5th-wait for lock-up-slightly present. I did notice yesturday the lock-up in 4th-5th only ocurs when the trans has reached it's operating temp..when the trans is cold (-17C outside right now) ..the concern will not be present untill trans is warmed up from driving..

At this point, I've gotten the trans fluid out of the way..I could check the mounts..but think if there's a rumor of a S/W update to solve this fault..dealer now is my only option..It's odd that a large number of ppl seem to of had or are having this concern..yet nobody has listed a fix

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm experiencing what seems like a very simular issue except I do not feel a vibration my engine just sounds alot more low pitched sound in the 80km-100kmh range only in 5th like bogey sounding no misfires though my car was actually losing power as well but had my tcv changed witch solved the power lose but I was hoping it would of solved this problem to but it did not. I was really hoping to have someone chim in who resolved it in this thread I was thinking of ordering the fluid test kit but its over $200 and thats just not in my budget currently.

I was just curious if all people with this problem are using 3309 and not official volvo fluid because I was having abit of a shudder in first gear under light throttle when I had my trainy rebuilt and the dealer blamed it on the fluid (3309) witch was put into my trainy when I had it rebuilt and pretty much stressed that this fluid was gonna cause issues but from reading on here and the fact that the fluid only had maybe 500km on it at the time I ignored the dealer on the fluid change reccomendation that was about 6 months ago and the shudder in 5th seems to have resolved itself without doing anything to the car but about 2 months ago I started getting this 5th gear issue.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Software , Yes but I wondering If Your just sensitive to the T5 vs a smoother V8 or V12 - then add in the Direct Connection in Lock Up - If Stumbling in the
T5 do to week Coil Packs and Spark - I'd Gap the Plugs .010 Closer then required - as The Coil Pack are Weak after that many Heat Cold cycles & Miles .

A Slight Stumble might be Interpreted as something else . ;)

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
OK - I got Your PM . I wanted to ask You - If You got a change to work on many of - Aston's Newer brakes with the Ceramic Rotors ?
I've heard of a few Complaints , but not many .

You can send Me the Extra - Components - for Testing . LOL

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Here is another TSB to consider for early cars:

DESCRIPTION:
S40 & V50 customers may complain of a clunking noise during shifting or when applying and releasing the accelerator pedal. It is especially noticeable on cars with manual transmissions during low speed driving and when making a 1-2 shift. The customer may also complain of a slight vibration through the floor or seat at low engine RPMs (approx 1800-2000).

AFFECTED VEHICLES:
S40 -190213
V50 -194445

SERVICE:
If another root cause cannot be found via normal fault tracing, the left side rubber engine mount should be replaced with a hydraulic mount according to VIDA. On vehicles with the M66 manual 6-speed gearbox, a different intermediate lever (included in the kit) is also required to void conflict with the new bracket.

KIT PART NUMBERS:
M56: 30778930
AW55: 30778931
M66: 30778932

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
1 - 20 of 70 Posts