SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my new to me 2012 XC70 I have squeaking sound from the rear right. Figured out it could be the trailing arm bushing, since the previous owner left a quote from dealer on replacement of both trailing arms in the glovebox it does seem to be right diagnosis.
Bought a couple of Lemforder bushings from FCP Euro and now have an issue with 3(!) places that I have dealt previously with my P2 Volvo without hesitation. They all seem to have a problem with pricing the replacement job, apparently alldata has no info and they have no special tool(everyone checks youtube nowadays).
I am ready to pull the trigger on a Sealy VSE4784 tool from UK, comes up to roughly 200$ incl. shipping. Was wondering if someone already bought it on this side of the pond and might either sell or rent it out to me. I am not going to do the job myself but if the tool saves me time and money then why not.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I purchased that tool (or once very similar) and it was barely usable. The metal used to build the tool tended to bend instead of "press" and that made it very difficult to use. I made do for a couple sets and then grudgingly purchase the "proper" set for 4 times more and I have no more complaints.

Research before purchase, perhaps they aren't all the same poor quality?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, that's good to know. Is your tool availabe to borrow?(I'd pay the rent and shipping both ways) Not willing to spend 400$ on a Draper tool.
So far this one seems to be the cheapest option for me Sealey-Trailing-Arm-Bush-Tool-Ford-Mondeo-Mk4-VSE4784
The dealer service dept are unwilling to call back with the quote and I don't wanna drive the car there for paid "diagnostics".
Line

Totally offtopic, I love the way you converted your XC70 into V70, but I will keep my plastic armor since in big city conditions it is a godsend.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is an update for anyone having the same issue: I never bought the tool. It was not necessary since the local mechanics shop quoted a terrific price of 220$ for the work and did it in one day, I got the bushings from FCP Euro. They needed to adapt/machine the tool needed to press out the bushings. They did a great job and all squeaking is gone.

For the reference, Volvo Huntington quoted 250$ but their blue box bushings cost about 100$ each. Plus, they are about an hour's drive from me.
I went to 4 other shops and they all quoted between 500 and 800 for the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts