SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed something wierd today and wonder if anybody else with a trailer has seen this.

Even after I turn off my car, my trailer brake lights ( LED types) are still on. They're very dim, and flicker a little. You would probably not notice them in the day. Eventually they do go off.

Just curious.

pat

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: Trailer wiring/module issue? (pattyweb)

What happens when you unplug the trailer from the XC90? If the LED lights stay lit, then there is residual current in the trailer. If they go out then it's the XC90 that was powering them. I suspect the trailer but because I once had a feedback problem with the Volvo harness I won't place a bet. BTW, how long do the lights stay on?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Trailer wiring/module issue? (XC-Ski)

If I unplug them, they go off. The residual power is in the XC90. I don't know exactly how long they stay on but it's around a few minutes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: Trailer wiring/module issue? (pattyweb)

Quote, originally posted by pattyweb »
If I unplug them, they go off. The residual power is in the XC90. I don't know exactly how long they stay on but it's around a few minutes.
Probably nothing to be concerned about. Out of curiosity I'd measure the voltage at the tail light terminal on the car plug with the power off (on a round 7-pin plug that's the top right terminal; ground is the bottom right). It should read zero.

I have not used LED lights but know that they draw around a tenth the current of standard lights, so it does not take much to fire them up. I'm not sure what in the circuit might bleed a little current for a few minutes but if there is nothing else unusual I'd ignore it.

Modified by XC-Ski at 5:52 AM 4-13-2006

1 - 4 of 4 Posts