SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Trailer towing with a volvo

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  S.R. 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just joined, mainly for one reason. I am considering purchasing a used Volvo for the purupose of towing a boat. I have noticed that many Volvos have tow ratings up to & slightly over 3,000 lb. I have a boat that weighs 2,800 lb. loaded. Can anyone provide me with advice as to how suitable these vehicles are for towing? I don't want to be struggling up hills and, frankly, the rating seem as if they would be highly optimistic. Can anyone recommend a particular model? I would like a wagon and want to spend in the $10K to $15K range.

Thanks,
Mark

#2 ·
quote:

Originally posted by biederboat:
Can anyone provide me with advice as to how suitable these vehicles are for towing? I don't want to be struggling up hills and, frankly, the rating seem as if they would be highly optimistic. Can anyone recommend a particular model? I would like a wagon and want to spend in the $10K to $15K range.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark,

all Volvo models (the only one I am not sure about is the 240) are rated to tow 3,300 lbs. with the exception of the S/V40s. Now, would towing 2,800 lbs. be as enjoyable with an 850 non-urbo as compared to what it would feel with an 850 Turbo? Certainly not. So, I would definitely recommend a turbocharged model and/or a 960 wagon (6 cyl. non turbo but rated 197/201 HP). I would also recommend switching to synthetic fluids and also consider installing a transmission cooler. Pretty inexpensive add-ons and they are great preventative maintenance. For the money you want to spend, you should be able to find either one of these models, just make sure that you check them out thoroughly before you buy one.

Good luck and welcome to "Schweetspeed"!

Yannis

#3 ·
Yannis,

Thanks! That was definitely "Schweetspeed", I just posted this a few minutes ago. A few quick questions if you don't mind (or for anyone else). Are you SURE a turbo is okay to tow with, I've always been told stay away from gas turbos for towing (turbo works too hard). Can I tow this much with a manual? Lastly, do you have any personal experience towing this much with a Volvo? Sorry to sound like such a skeptic, they're just aren't any cars of this size rated to tow this much and I want to make sure I'll be happy.

Thanks again,
Mark

#4 ·
My 2 cents...

My brother has a 2500 lb boat and pulls it with his 92 240. It isn't the easiest to pull with that car, but it works. Personally I would recommend, like Yannis, either a 960 or 850. Both push a good amount of torque (esp the 850 turbo). Speaking of turbos, unfortunately I cannot answer your question about turbos being bad for pulling boats.

On a side not, I'm selling my 96 850R for $16,500 OBO. I know it's higher than what you're looking for, but it's well worth it, esp if you want to use this car as a daily driver as well.

Matt
thevolvoaddict@hotmail.com

#5 ·
quote:

Yannis,

Are you SURE a turbo is okay to tow with, I've always been told stay away from gas turbos for towing (turbo works too hard). Can I tow this much with a manual? Lastly, do you have any personal experience towing this much with a Volvo? Sorry to sound like such a skeptic, they're just aren't any cars of this size rated to tow this much and I want to make sure I'll be happy.

Thanks again,
Mark
No problem, I understand your skepticism. I, personally, do not have anything that needs to be towed (our bikes fit very well on the roof! Hehe!) but I know way too many of our customers who tow anything from little U-Haul trailers to 19' (5.8m) boats!

Just make sure that the combined weights of the boat/trailer do not exceed 3,300 lbs. (1,496 kg). The turbocharged engine of a Volvo should do very well just make sure that you do add the transmission cooler and definitely find a car that was meticulously maintained. If it's a very high mileage car, I am not sure I would switch to synthetic; use an excellent quality dyno oil. Otherwise, a full synthetic oil would be great.

Yannis

#6 ·
quote:

Yannis,

Are you SURE a turbo is okay to tow with, I've always been told stay away from gas turbos for towing (turbo works too hard). Can I tow this much with a manual? Lastly, do you have any personal experience towing this much with a Volvo? Sorry to sound like such a skeptic, they're just aren't any cars of this size rated to tow this much and I want to make sure I'll be happy.

Thanks again,
Mark
No problem, I understand your skepticism. I, personally, do not have anything that needs to be towed (our bikes fit very well on the roof! Hehe!) but I know way too many of our customers who tow anything from little U-Haul trailers to 19' (5.8m) boats!

Just make sure that the combined weights of the boat/trailer do not exceed 3,300 lbs. (1,496 kg). The turbocharged engine of a Volvo should do very well just make sure that you do add the transmission cooler and definitely find a car that was meticulously maintained. If it's a very high mileage car, I am not sure I would switch to synthetic; use an excellent quality dyno oil. Otherwise, a full synthetic oil would be great.

Yannis

#7 ·
Thanks for the prompt response guys. I'm starting to think pretty seriously about this. I do need to take some time and get acquainted with all of the Volvo models and specs. I'm a 26 year subscriber to Car & Drive but for the last 15 years have been more truck oriented. I have to do a lot of driving now for my job and want to conserve fuel (and have a fun car to drive). If I could find a car that meets all the criteria (w/o being a big tub like a Crown Victoria), that would be great. Sounds like a Volvo may just be that car!

Thanks again,
Mark

#8 ·
Mark,

Welcome to Swedespeed!

Are you looking for a sedan or a wagon? For Volvo's, there are a ton of different options in the 10K-15K range. The 940 Turbo Wagon in particular might be a good option since they are very inexpensive and easy to maintain. They use a bullet-proof 4-cylinder Turbo (B230-FT) rated at The 162 bhp and 195 lb. ft. of torque. ipd USA has a good selection of parts for this car to make it an excellent tow vehicle.

Another option would be to get a 95+ model 960. They use a very smooth normally aspirated 2.9 liter inline-6 (B6304-F) making 181 bhp and 199 lb.ft of torque. The 95+ model year and later cars have very good torque characteristics down low, due to a different camshaft profile. Another nice thing about these cars is that all of them came pretty much fully loaded, if you want some extra luxury. They are comfortable daily drivers as well.

I hope this helps a little!

-Drew

#9 ·
There are only 2 cars I'd consider for this kind of towing. The 700 series
Turbo {740('85-'92)/760('84-'90)} Turbo and the 940 Turbo ('91-'95).

I really wouldn't want a FWD car for heavy towing, plus the 850 is known
to warp rotors fairly easily. Otherwise, the 850 is an excellent car.

The 960 may be full of luxury, but it comes at a high price to buy, and a
higher price to maintain/replace. Broken timing belts seem to be a
frequent occurance with the 960, mostly because owners don't change
them soon enough (every 30K). The head then has to be rebuilt and the car
may never be quite right again. The 960 is a risk, and if you can find one
cheap with low miles that has a documented history, it might be worth it.

The 700 and 940 Turbo both use the same transmission, the AW71, which
is very strong and it will last a long time if properly cared for. Add
synthetic fluid and a larger cooler, as was mentioned above.

With a 2.5" exhaust and a manual boost controller, it's quite simple
to add another 20-30hp to the B230FT engine. I would recommend a '90 or
later model because of an improved engine, and in the 940, the '93-'95
engine is even better (w/piston oil squirters), and '95 is the best
because it has a reinforced block as well. The '90-on models had a smaller
Mitsubishi turbo and a better flowing exhaust manifold which combined for
better low end performance and very little turbo lag. A Garrett T3 was
found on '89 and older 700 turbo models.

The 940 has very large brakes and the 700 can be upgraded to these "jumbo
brakes" with a kit from MVP if it doesn't already have them. IIRC, the
jumbo rotors are 11" diameter and 26mm thick, compared to some 700 brakes
that are 11.25" diameter, but only 22mm thick. With slotted rotors
and a good semi-metallic performance pad, these brakes should have no
problem with slowing down a fully loaded tow vehicle. Stainless steel lines
are available from IPD and ATE Blue brake fluid would be a good choice,
available from CFI Motorsports.

I would expect a very clean low mileage 940 Turbo to fall at or below the
price range you specified, even with a few upgrades. Add a better trans
cooler, install IPD sway bars, and think about adding overload coils
which are also available from IPD.

Good luck.

#10 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the informative reply. Now that I'm getting a bit more familiar w/ the product thanks to you, I can say I'd probably avoid the 850 considering it's FWD. Interesting they would rate it to tow that high. Also, I like the idea of having inline-6 low-end torque and have to admit I like the lines on the front of the 960 better than the 940 (hey, looks count for something).

I think I'll spend some time looking at the specific model posts and checking auto trader on-line to get a better feel.

Thanks again!
Mark

#11 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
So, I would definitely recommend a turbocharged model and/or a 960 wagon (6 cyl. non turbo but rated 197/201 HP).
The 960 may have more HP, but I hear its prone to a larger number and more exspensive mechanical problems? My mom has a trailor hitch on her 940 turbo wagon. We have gone from around the chicago area to Virgina beach with a small U-Haul trailor. No problems. We are hauling my sisters stuff back from FSU this summer. I'll tell you how it goes.

#12 ·
quote:

Also, I like the idea of having inline-6 low-end torque and have to admit I like the lines on the front of the 960 better than the 940 (hey, looks count for something).
Looks certainly do count. My dad has a 940 turbo sedan. It doesn't have the egg crate grill like the 940 wagon. Instead, it has a chrome grill like the one on the 960 sedan(a 964, 4 being number of doors, 960 series wagons are 965, that goes for all series, 244(sedan),245(wagon),744,745,944,945 etc to clearify and making things easier to type out.) I am sure you can find a 944 or a 945 with a chrome grill that will look a lot better than the 940 egg crate grill.

#14 ·
Hey thanks, I guess when I'm referring to grill, I actually mean the whole headlight, marker light & grill set-up. On the pictures of the 960 posted above, the heaadlights are narrower and the corner lights wrap-around the fender more. I think the headlights on the 940 (which look like they are also on some older 960's) look too big. Can anyone tell me when they when to that headlight style on the 960's (940's also?)? Also, did this correspond to any other major changes (e.g. interior). I do that, in general, the newer the interior on a Volvo, the more I like it but I have to emphasize the "general" part.

Thanks,
Mark

#15 ·
I am not positive, but I believe the narrowest headlights for the 960 /S90 appeared in the 95 model year with the updated engine, and front suspension (they changed the design of the front suspension to be very simialar to the 850, supposed to have given a much better driving experience). As for the reliability of the 6 cyl. the earliest models did cause some problems but these were sorted out in the next year or so, and the 95 on models were very good. Having towed a u-haul from New Brunswick to Ontario (about 1000 miles) with my 89 740 GLE (the 16 valve engine) I can tell you that even with the extra power from the 16 valve the car was not really happy. It drove fine(handling and braking), but struggled a bit with the load, I would definately recommend the six for it's extra torque (the turbo's would be better in that respect than the 16 valve too, but I think the 6 would be even better). In any case avoid the non turbo 4 for towing, it just has to work too hard (it will do it but...). As I said above stabilty with a trailer is not a problem, so Volvos do make good tow cars if you get the right engine. Good luck

#16 ·
quote:

Can anyone tell me when they when to that headlight style on the 960's (940's also?)? Also, did this correspond to any other major changes (e.g. interior).

Thanks,
Mark

1995 was when the 960/S90/V90 got major changes, including the exterior, interior, engine, and suspension. The most important consideration when finding one used, it to make sure it has complete records.

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 05-21-2002).]

#17 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks again for all you help. I would say me tentative choice would be a 95 or newer 960. Conincidentally, there was a letter to the editor in Trailerboats magazine in the June issue about a guy who had a 740 (turbo, I believe) and who towed a 19' fiberglass boat (over 3,000 lb.) and had put MANY miles on it so the testament for Volvo durability is pretty much there.

Mark

#18 ·
quote:

Conincidentally, there was a letter to the editor in Trailerboats magazine in the June issue about a guy who had a 740 (turbo, I believe) and who towed a 19' fiberglass boat (over 3,000 lb.) and had put MANY miles on it so the testament for Volvo durability is pretty much there.

Mark
See? How that 4-cyl. engine was enough? A "little" turbo will do wonders for a small displacement engine! I, personally, would still go for an 850 Turbo. The 960 has a lot less leg/head room in the rear and it will not be as sporty as thhe 850 Turbo. You should also get a little better gas mileage with the 850 Turbo and it is...FWD! Just in case you are going to be traveling (sans the boat, of course!) in snowy areas.

Yannis

#20 ·
Wow Drew, that is one pristine 960 interior! Wow, that is spectacular, where do you pull these photos up? Hey, this is off topic, but... (I'd got for the RWD car for towing, fwiw, biederboat)

Is the dash on the 960 the same as the 850? Also, the door panels on that 960 in your picture are beautiful. I suppose there's no chance those fit in the 850, eh?

#21 ·
quote:

Originally posted by javadoc:
Is the dash on the 960 the same as the 850? Also, the door panels on that 960 in your picture are beautiful. I suppose there's no chance those fit in the 850, eh?
The dash in the 960/90 series is different than the 850 series. The center stack on the 960 extends all the way down to the shifter area. I highly doubt that the door panels will fit the 850 series, since they are totally different cars on different platforms. Parts swapping between the 740, 760, and 940 with the 960 is a lot easier, for instance.

-Drew

#22 ·
quote:

. I would say me tentative choice would be a 95 or newer 960.
My history teacher just happened to have a consumer reports from 1998. In the car section, volvo was kicking butt, but not only that, in the Used Cars to Avoid, the 95 960 was listed. So I would go 96 or newer.

#25 ·
quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
Probably a good idea since it was just introduced in 95', first year bugs most likely. I have heard that 97' is the best model year for the 960.
What was just introduced? The 960? It's first year was '92.

The newer, the better with those cars. A '98 S/V90 would be my first choice, followed by '97 and '96. I'd be afraid to even own a '92-'95 960.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.