SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am taking off my trailer hitch on my unfortunately wrecked 99 Volvo V70 GLT. I would take it to a professional but the car has no radiator due to the accident :'(. All the bolts are out of the hitch and the muffler will hopefully be off tomorrow (soaking hitch and muffler in wd40 tonight). anyone know how exactly to get a hitch a off? It moves around but I'm not sure how I'm suppose to maneuver it so it will actually come off. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
For the Curt hitch I have for my XC, it has 3 bolts, two at the top and one at the tow hook at the spare tire well. If the hitch you have is similar, it may just be stuck to the frame. With the muffler out of the way, you should be able to drop it. You may be able to drop it without removing the muffler.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a loop attached to the bottom of the spare tire well that holds up the hitch, also i have a bar running from the hitch to attach to the frame bar on the passenger side that is catching on another piece of the car. Working on trying to get pictures up of what i am trying to explain.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Now that is a hitch! A heavier duty application than what I have seen for these cars. Looks like there were additional cross members attaching further back the frame.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the hitch is a beast, I was able to tow prolly around 2000 lbs from CA to CO a year ago. Unfortunately that cross member was added and without some serious banging/breaking its not coming off. :( But do you know if its possible to get a 2" hitch on 99 v70 R? I have all the old equipment and really don't want to have to buy new stuff.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
You can get a 2" adapter but if you plan more than a bike rack, it's not recommended.

My Curt hitch is 1.25" and I use a 2" adapter for our large Thule bike rack.

Does it look like the additional supports we're added to a normal hitch that only mounts on the rear of the car?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the welds on the additional piece are slightly different quality that the standard ones. The problem is i need a 2" to tow college student moving around in all.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
take detailed pictures and measurements and find a shop that could weld similar material into place for you - a body shop or a sign shop (one that does large electrical signs) - or if you have access to a welder and the material, recreate with a new hitch.

or break your the mallet and cutting torch or sawsaw to extract that bad boy. :)

Is this welded to the hook on the spare tire well?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No its not welded to the pipe. I'm on the verge of trying to break the hook off so it will just fall off. Do you think its safe to take a 1.25" hitch and have a welder take the old 2" hitch and basically convert it?

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
If the V70 is done, and that hook is the only thing keeping it on, bend it or cut it off and drop the hitch. I would try to get it off, then sand it down, spray a fresh coat of Rust-Oleum paint and mount it on your other V70.

This is my Curt with the 2" extension:

this is the Curt setup, I got mine from Autoanything.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would use the old trailer hitch the one problem is the GLT has the exhuast pipe on the drives side and the R has the exhuast on the passengers side. Do you happen to know how difficult it would be to change the exhuast side? I'm at the point of trying to see if the change would be cheaper than buying a new hitch.

That 2" adapter isn't going to be able to tow im guessing

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I would use the old trailer hitch the one problem is the GLT has the exhuast pipe on the drives side and the R has the exhuast on the passengers side. Do you happen to know how difficult it would be to change the exhuast side? I'm at the point of trying to see if the change would be cheaper than buying a new hitch.

That 2" adapter isn't going to be able to tow im guessing
Correct, Curt does not recommend towing with the extension - it works for a bike rack, although I'd like to put a rubber sleeve around it to reduce the slight wobble. I looked for a 2" hitch but couldn't find one, so I ended up with the adapter setup. It maybe easier to reroute the exhaust slightly to accommodate the support. Flex-pipe is available from advance auto, I just saw a 2" x 18" piece for sale at Advance Auto today. While not ideal, it could give you a bit a flexibility.

If you have access to a welder, you might be able to adjust the support around the GLT exhaust. with a little planning, I think you can make it work. If you can see what brand the hitch is, let us know, as I would prefer a 2" mount without the extension. :)

The Thule Revolver hangs out a bit with the extension:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The shop that installed the hitch said it was a Curt. Once I get it off I'm going to take it to a shop to confirm.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got back from a trip and finally trying to deal with this hitch once and for all. Anyone got an good ways to get through a 1/4" solid steel rod? because my hack saw will not do the trick anytime soon.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
perhaps sawsaw or small angle grinder with a cutting wheel. If you have friends with a plasma cutter or a cutting torch. Harbor Freight may have some tools.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Chris do you have a pic of your hitch from the rear of the car and no adapter? I was wondering what it looked like unloaded.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts