SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I just purchased a 2021 XC90 and have a really particular wiring issue. Here goes.

Next week I’m having the Volvo foldable hitch installed at the dealer (the one with the release button inside the trunk). Great!
The manual says it has has a 7 pin connector. It looks round in the picture but I can’t get a good view of what the pins look like (flat or round) or what the pin assignments are.

I don’t tow a trailer. I have a Volvo branded Thule bicycle carrier that clamps onto the hitch ball and has a round multi-pin Euro twist connector. The bike carrier has full lighting. Tails/brake, amber turns, reverse, and rear fog. I’ve been using this carrier with full functionality on my 2013 XC90. I had to order a harness from the UK to make it work in 2013 when I bought it

So what I’m getting at is I would like to use this carrier with full functionality on my new XC90 and somehow adapt it to whatever connector comes on the folding hitch.

Does anyone have any insights into my dilemma?
Thank you in advance!

F~

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I had to order a harness from the UK to make it work in 2013 when I bought it.
Is the harness/adapter for a NA 4-pin trailer connector? If so, a "7-pin to 4-pin" adapter is all you need.

If it was wired directly (not via the trailer plug), you'll need to wire a custom adapter:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the harness/adapter for a NA 4-pin trailer connector? If so, a "7-pin to 4-pin" adapter is all you need.

If it was wired directly (not via the trailer plug), you'll need to wire a custom adapter:

th

I don't know exactly what the plug looks like or what the pin out is on the retractable hitch plug is.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.