SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to carry our bikes on a rear-mounted hitch bike rack so we can use the roof rack to carry a box when we go camping. I'm at a loss of how to find a hitch for my r-design v50. I ordered a curt hitch (class 1) designed for a v-50 (non r-design) and there was no way it would fit around some metal pieces (I think they are tow bars). It was about a half-inch to an inch too narrow. It seems like the r-design is possibly a little different than regular v50s in that way (I'm not even at the "dealing with the bumper cutout stage" yet). .

I can't seem to source a hitch online that is designed for an r-design p1 car. Does that leave me looking at multi-fit hitches as an option? is this the type of job I could take to a uhaul and they can just do it, or is that a bad idea? I'm not really looking to tow trailers (although having that option would be nice), I just would like a nice clean hitch option to attach a bike rack to. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this on an r design?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I had a Curt unit on my V50 (which was not an RD) but still, I can't imagine the RDs added any sort of extra metal to the underside over non RDs. Are you sure you ordered the correct hitch?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am pretty sure it was the right hitch (unless they packaged the wrong hitch in the box) but it definitely could have been installer error! I'll call a hitch place in town and see what they can do.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
The only difference between your R-design and any other V50 is the lower trim. So if you got the right part, it should have fit.

Unfortunately, since you want a hitch receiver for a bike rack, you're probably going to have to cut the trim. There are markings on the inside of the trim to serve as a guide for cutting.

If trailers were your only concern, then there are many ball hitch style options. But these aren't compatible with bike racks.

I went the universal route since I was in need of towing capability within a 48 hour notice. But since you have time, I'd suggest holding out for a part specifically designed for your car.

There are some options available that will sit lower than the trim, but they are also fairly recessed under the bumper, so you might get into needing extensions. Plus it's a low point to potentially scrape at certain angles, especially since it sounds like you'll have the car fairly loaded down when using this bike rack. etrailer.com has always been a good source to me.

If you're already worried about cutting bumper trim, then I would especially not consider taking the car to a Uhaul place for a trailer hitch installation. Their employees aren't licensed for working on vehicles and their field of knowledge is limited to bolt on options for trucks. Hitches on cars are always more involved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MyNameIdeasWereTaken - thanks so much, your post was incredibly helpful. I took a really close look at the photo of your car and it looks the hitch extends out under the actual bumper and cover and may only conflict with the part under the bumper (it looks like maybe you cutout the actual bumper cover for the ball hitch part, for carrying a trailer, but may not be necessary for a bike rack). Cutting the lower part of the bumper does not really bother me. I'd prefer not to cut into the actual bumper cover.

I haven't been able to source a specific hitch so what I think I'll do is call a hitch company in town called HitchKing, who seems to have really good reviews including a few from volvo owners. Based your recommendation I'll avoid the uhaul route. Thanks so much. Your car looks cool. I think I may have seen one of your videos on youtube once, or someone with a car that looks alot like yours.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in the exact same boat as you and have an appointment this Friday to have a custom hitch installed in my non R V50. Like you, I am not fond that my bumper will be cut but I need the function of the hitch more and I've had my 4 bike rack from a previous vehicle that I want to utilize. This next bit may have been a bit of salesmanship but the owner where I will have my hitch done told me that the Curt warranty would be void if bicycle straps were not used. Something he claimed was in the warranty fine print. Do you have a bike rack yet? If not you may want to look at them to get an idea of how far it will stick off the back end. You are lower then me and I was worried about the rack dragging in my driveway if my hitch was below the bumper. Best of luck to you and happy camping!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
MyNameIdeasWereTaken - thanks so much, your post was incredibly helpful. I took a really close look at the photo of your car and it looks the hitch extends out under the actual bumper and cover and may only conflict with the part under the bumper (it looks like maybe you cutout the actual bumper cover for the ball hitch part, for carrying a trailer, but may not be necessary for a bike rack). Cutting the lower part of the bumper does not really bother me. I'd prefer not to cut into the actual bumper cover.
Just to be clear, you do not have to cut the bumper cover for any hitch. Only the lower trim.

My hitch was below the lower bumper trim and I only cut the trim to accommodate the raised extension so the trailer would sit level.
Hard to tell from that picture, but was still lower than the exhaust tips and even without the extension installed, it would still scrape on a few steep hills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the good advice. The installer installed the curt hitch and it's pretty much hidden. As expected, there is a little interference with the lower valence, but the plastic is quite pliable, so I think it will be ok to just bend that upwards when the hitch is in use with something attached. .

IMG_20190912_183034.jpg

I've shown it also with a Kuat Beta 2.0 which is a light hitch rack that is a really tight fit (almost touches the lower part rear bumper).

IMG_20190922_153410 (1).jpg

It's hard to say if it rubs along the bumper with all the weight. It seems to work and the hitch rack is light enough and folds up so I can just toss it in the trunk when I'm not using it. There is an anti sway knob at the bumper side near the bottom that is a little tight. I'm planning to order a new thumb screw (maybe at 3/4" length) so it will not rub at that point.

IMG_20190922_153403 (1).jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts