SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
What is the latest feeling on trailer hitch for 2015.5 XC70. Volvo factory vs aftermarket? I don't need it for towing right now. Looking to have one for my hitch mounted bike rack. However I might tow someday with it. For the bikes I don't need electrical, but for towing a trailer I certainly do. Car has back-up camera, but no park assist so no sensors to get fouled up.

I am thinking just getting a Curt (or similar) and putting it on myself. I installed a hitch in my BMW sedan so the labor is not a big deal for me.

Any sage advice, be for I order?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I had the dealer installe an OEM Hitch on my 2015.5 CX70 when i bought it in July. They did a great job as you have to cut the exhaust system and part of the bumper to install the hitch. You can download the install guide from the accessories page on the Volvo site to see what is involved. Too much involved for me. I also do not want to void warranty if i had installed myself.

It is expensive from the dealer but well worth it in the long run.

I can upload pictures if you want to see the finished result.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cut the exhaust? I could not wait and ordered a Curt one. I saw installation videos and I need to pull the bumper and do minor cut under the fascia in rear, but that is all. No exhaust as it does not even come close to it. No plans to mess with electrical just yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cut the exhaust? I could not wait and ordered a Curt one. I saw installation videos and I need to pull the bumper and do minor cut under the fascia in rear, but that is all. No exhaust as it does not even come close to it. No plans to mess with electrical just yet.
I looked at both the OEM Volvo and the Curt hitches when deciding for our car. I went with the Curt because I didn't like the idea of having the stainless steel exhaust being cut. I have been happy with the Curt hitch and recommend it. It hangs down a little lower than the Volvo OEM hitch, but the install is very easy, and unlike the Volvo hitch, only a small part of the bumper in a non-visible area needs to be cut. If you decided to remove the hitch later, you would never be able to tell when looking from behind the car.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'll need to use Volvos own wiring at least if you want to be able to activate trailer stability assist or whatever it's called. Not entirely sure which parts you'll need from Volvo and which could be aftermarket but there's something about the stability assist I believe requires volvo parts.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
We got the hitch that IPD sells. It's actually a Class 3 and rated to 5000 lbs towing so it is stronger than the OEM hitch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the Curt hitch over the weekend and installed it ease. Now drag by bike along without taking up space inside the car. Yeah..

·
Registered
1 Posts
JoePAz is that a T6?

I got the Curt hitch over the weekend and installed it ease. Now drag by bike along without taking up space inside the car. Yeah..

JoePAz,
I can't tell because your bike is blocking the view, is that a T6? Getting ready to order and install a hitch myself, looking at a Curt (or similar) like you did... can't seem to verify on the manufacturer/sales sites if there is compatibility between the single and dual tail pipe vehicles with the hitch they are selling for 2015.5 XC70. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
JoePAz,
I can't tell because your bike is blocking the view, is that a T6? Getting ready to order and install a hitch myself, looking at a Curt (or similar) like you did... can't seem to verify on the manufacturer/sales sites if there is compatibility between the single and dual tail pipe vehicles with the hitch they are selling for 2015.5 XC70. Thanks!
All the XC70 models in the US have the same dual tail pipe setup...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoePAz,
Yes it is a T6.. Hitch fit perfect.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know the installation guide for the factory tow hitch says to cut the tail pipe to fit it. But is this strictly necessary? Or is it just to save install time?

I've never installed a tow hitch myself nor have I spent a long time exploring the underside of my Volvo. But if I can install the factory tow hitch without cutting the exhaust pipe, I think I would prefer that, even if it requires some new gaskets and/or hardware to reinstall the tail pipe to the mid pipe section or whatever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wiring! 2014 XC70 T6

New to Volvo and frustrated. Curt hitch - easy install. Wiring - nothing but pain. Bought the wrong kit from Volvo. Ask Volvo for help. They want to reprogram my traction control, shift points, blah blah blah. I want to pull a little utility trailer to the dump once a year. 10 mile round trip, 30mph max. ALL I WANT is for my signal lights and brake lights to be mimicked on the trailer. So now I have located the correct kit. The physical connections will work, but can anyone confirm that there is/isn't programming required to make this work? Older generation XC70s seem to be plug and play but I am unsure about the 3rd gen. I'm sure Volvo would program it for $1000, which BTW was their quote to install the entire hitch package in the first place. Jerks are determined to get the cash out of me.:angryfire:

·
Registered
193 Posts
New to Volvo and frustrated. Curt hitch - easy install. Wiring - nothing but pain. Bought the wrong kit from Volvo. Ask Volvo for help. They want to reprogram my traction control, shift points, blah blah blah. I want to pull a little utility trailer to the dump once a year. 10 mile round trip, 30mph max. ALL I WANT is for my signal lights and brake lights to be mimicked on the trailer. So now I have located the correct kit. The physical connections will work, but can anyone confirm that there is/isn't programming required to make this work? Older generation XC70s seem to be plug and play but I am unsure about the 3rd gen. I'm sure Volvo would program it for $1000, which BTW was their quote to install the entire hitch package in the first place. Jerks are determined to get the cash out of me.:angryfire:
I did everything myself and then had them do the programming, which was $90. Tbh, I didn't actually try the trailer before doing that, so I don't know if the lights worked or not. What I was hoping for was the trailer turn signal indicator on the dash (because I'm weird like that) and I didn't get it. I do get in-dash warnings of lights out and such though, which is nice. I have no clue if the shift points changed- nothing *feels* different on my '09.

For that kind of towing, I'd say that if your trailer lights work, you're fine. If not, get it programmed for the $90.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts