SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Saying hello from So Calif :wave:.

We are closing in on a 2012 R Design in Cosmic White for Mrs. Rizzo... Unfortunately it only has Premium Plus so no NAV. :mad: Mrs. Rizzo really wants the nav and there are very few 2012's in Cosmic's with Platinum available. Looks like the deals on the 2012's are pretty good this month so we want to try to stick to a 2012 in stock locally. $2k in rebates and the fist four lease payments compliments of Volvo...

The one we are looking at has a $95 add for "navigation prep" on the window sticker and the sales guy is telling me that they can add the factory nav for some absurd amount like $1800. He tells me that they just upload some software and replace the blank button with one that says "NAVI" and it is exactly the same as the factory Navi. Does anyone know if that is remotely true? I don't want some Rube Goldberg aftermarket solution... but if it is clean like the factory install, I'll grind the price down and add it in.

Anybody got the hitch? I did search :D but don't find anything. I can install it myself, and found one on volvopartswebstore.com for $268. Comments welcome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'll be no help at all...BUT, I'd be interested in the numbers you get for a lease on the R. The $399 deal is, of course, on a 3.2FWD @ $35K, IIRC. What happens when the MSRP is closer to $50K? We've been 'planning' all along to OSD a '14 late next summer, but I'm tempted to sell our '10 and go for the lease deal this month.

By the bye, I've never seen a hitch on an XC60. Mayhaps someone will chime in.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If it doesnt have nav, the wiring harness isnt there to support it, so its crazy expensive to add. The packages have different wiring harnesses according to my dealership.

No hitch available on RD without significant modifications IIRC. I have one and I dont see any way to get one on there without losing significant clearance under the rear end.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If it doesnt have nav, the wiring harness isnt there to support it, so its crazy expensive to add. The packages have different wiring harnesses according to my dealership.

No hitch available on RD without significant modifications IIRC. I have one and I dont see any way to get one on there without losing significant clearance under the rear end.
It's never easy, is it?:eek:

We added an aftermarket hitch to the C70...easy peasy, BUT it's strictly for a bike rack. No wiring, Class I rating. $200 installed by custom hitch shop.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The one we are looking at has a $95 add for "navigation prep" on the window sticker and the sales guy is telling me that they can add the factory nav for some absurd amount like $1800. He tells me that they just upload some software and replace the blank button with one that says "NAVI" and it is exactly the same as the factory Navi. Does anyone know if that is remotely true? I don't want some Rube Goldberg aftermarket solution... but if it is clean like the factory install, I'll grind the price down and add it in.
To date, I don't think ONE SINGLE person here has ever posted about having added on nav after the purchase using the "nav-prep". Volvo is making a lot of extra $95 given the cars that have this feature included. I find it interesting that no other manufacturer that I know of offers a similar feature, probably because the demand just isn't there or it isn't worthwhile.

If you do do it though, it definitely is the factory system. It's the real deal, not some aftermarket afterthought. One unresolved question is what kind of warranty comes with it. Depending on when/how/who installs it, at port before delivery, or after you've taken the car, it might, or might not, be covered by the full car warranty. Or is it just one year? There are a lot of unanswered questions around nav-prep.

Most people that want nav after the fact just purchase a garmin, some purchase the special volvo pillar mount for the garmin. If you do take advantage of the nav prep, post back with your experience, I think you'll be the first!!

·
Registered
558 Posts

We are closing in on a 2012 R Design in Cosmic White for Mrs. Rizzo... Unfortunately it only has Premium Plus so no NAV. :mad: Mrs. Rizzo really wants the nav and there are very few 2012's in Cosmic's with Platinum available. Looks like the deals on the 2012's are pretty good this month so we want to try to stick to a 2012 in stock locally. $2k in rebates and the fist four lease payments compliments of Volvo...

Anybody got the hitch? I did search :D but don't find anything. I can install it myself, and found one on volvopartswebstore.com for $268. Comments welcome.

Thanks in advance.

It is exactly the same as the factory installed nav. The only exception is you do not get the back up camera.

Most of the time the bumper skin has to be dropped and cut out for hitch install. If you have the mechanical know how, I'm sure you can put one in.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
It is exactly the same as the factory installed nav. The only exception is you do not get the back up camera.
I knew there was one difference, just couldn't remember what it was. And this is probably one of the reasons nobody takes advantage of nav-prep. To add nav and the camera, one might as well then just get the car with the full package that includes the "better" stereo too.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Frank,

I am a big proponent of the factory Navigation System because it's integration with the vehicle's systems is tremendous. I understand it is not a cheap solution but it is less costly than the entire Platinum package if you just want Navigation. What I like the best, other than the fact that the full Safe+Secure warranty will be applied to it, is that it is voice activated which is huge when you want to make a decision on the fly. On the other hand, you also get voice activation for the entire telephone feature which, again for me as I spend a lot of time in my car, is priceless. I never touch my telephone when I make or receive calls. Speaking to the system allows me to handle all calls and reduces any distractions.

Take a look at my signature; my current company car is an XC60 that has Premier Plus package and I added the Volvo Navigation System and the tow hitch.

The tow hitch will also carry the Safe+Secure warranty (if installed before delivery at an authorized Volvo retailer) and it is a very, very clean installation; the rear bumper has just a very minor cut, no more than 3" wide and itmisnway under, where a rear diffuser would be. Imperceptible.

Are you working with any of the Power Volvo stores; I was speaking to them yesterday and they told me they were looking for a similar car as the one listed above, in your post. I will be happy to send you a picture of the tow hitch on my car and/or meet up with you if you are in an area from South LA county or anywhere in Orange or San Diego counties.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just make sure you get a MY12, AWD on MY13 is not very good compared to the previous once.

/Marti

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just make sure you get a MY12, AWD on MY13 is not very good compared to the previous once.

/Marti

Wat 'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
:)
Translation:
Why, whatever do you mean? Please clarify for those of us considering both/either. Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Wat 'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
:)
Translation:
Why, whatever do you mean? Please clarify for those of us considering both/either. Thanks.
My12 and older is based on haldex generation 4 where all new volvos from my13 (except for xc90) is based on haldex gen 5. Generation 5 is a much smpler (cheaper to manufacture) version only reving a pump to get hydraulic preassure on the awd clutch when needed, where gen 4 constantly have preasure and just opens a valve when needed. This resulting in generation 5 beng much much slower to get the rear wheels going.

/Martin

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

/Marti
Is that why VW signed a multi-million dollar contract with Haldex to ensure all VWs going forward get the gen 5 system?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
This resulting in generation 5 beng much much slower to get the rear wheels going.

/Martin
Martin,

before you post such claims, please provide hard evidence that a next generation system from Haldex is actually worse than the one it is replacing notwithstanding the fact that every single Haldex system has been an improvement over the one it has replaced...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Martin,

before you post such claims, please provide hard evidence that a next generation system from Haldex is actually worse than the one it is replacing notwithstanding the fact that every single Haldex system has been an improvement over the one it has replaced...
Sure, why don't you start of with this document, produced by a couple of guys from Lunds University in Sweden (in cooperation with Haldex).

http://www.iea.lth.se/publications/MS-Theses/Full document/5283_full_document.pdf

The chase for costs and reduction of fule consumtion reached no limits, this is the result of it. Generation 5 in not such a great system as Gen 4 from a performance point of view. I've seen a few comparisments in real life between the two and a Gen 4 car set's of with no or 4 wheel spinn. A Gen 5 car spins with the front wheels for about a second, then the rear wheel kicks in. There is no reason for me to make this up, trust me. I'm equally disapointed as everyone else.

By the way, Haldex announced VW's Gen 5 order stating they got it cause the fifth generation is cost effective, low weight and consumes less fuel. They say nothing about performance.

/Martin

·
Registered
333 Posts
What do you think of this stiuation? MY13 with a heavy trailer behind it...

The front tire has dug a huge hole and the rear wheel has hardly even moved.... This particular car has been with the retailer 3-4 times and they claim there is no fault with it, it's MY13 by design....

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Simple version, just read on Halex webpage....

http://www.borgwarner.com/en/Products/Pages/Product-Detail-Search.aspx?k=%20&r=productfamily%3D%22Haldex%C2%AE%20FWD/AWD%20Systems%22%20businessunit%3D%22Drivetrain%20Systems%22

Gen 4 says:

When starting the vehicle, the electrical pump in the Haldex GenIV is started, swiftly providing the system with pressurized oil and thereby making the system ready for operation. The control valve sets the pressure to the piston which in turn compresses the disc package. The level of pressure set depends on the torque level needed and the driving situation. In traction/high slip conditions, high pressure is delivered. In tight curves (e.g., parking) or at high speeds, a much lower pressure is provided.

Gen 5 says:

When starting the vehicle, the electrical pump in the Haldex Gen V is started, swiftly providing the system with pressurized oil and thereby making the system ready for operation. The pump sets the pressure to the piston which in turn compresses the disc package. The level of pressure set depends on the torque level needed and on the driving situation. In traction/high slip conditions, a high pressure is delivered. In tight curves (i.e. parking) or at high speeds, a much lower pressure is provided.

The only way to get Gen5 to put higher preasure on the AWD clutch is by pumping more oil with the pump, where gen 4 just opens the valve where there already is high preasure.

/MArtin

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Dang...that '12 lease is looking a little better! Sales dude called back after receiving my 'sell us your Volvo' form all nicely filled out. Of course, they don't want to give me numbers over the phone(even though their email stated they would :
"This entire process can be conducted and finalized over the telephone from the comfort of your home or office."
That's OK...I know they want me on the floor so they can sell me another vehicle; BUT, I was very clear that selling MY vehicle was the reason for the inquiry. Naturally, the sales dude, even though he is the 'head guy', has to ask his 'manager' for the proper course of action.

This is all very interesting, especially as I believe the effective APR on a lease is under 1% right now.(Money factor ~.00035 ?)
It's nearly like a 1% balloon payment loan for three years except there's no obligation to buy(but the opportunity IS there) at the end of the three years. Four payments paid by Volvo, S& S for the life of the lease, MORE horsepower(did I mention that already? :) ).
Sorry for the continued derailment...I'll head over to my other thread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We got the car. Pics to come shortly. Picking it up this evening, I'll have to bring it back in next week to do the software/Nav install.

More good news. The "2013" price increase bumps the NAV from the dealer to $2400 (from $1800). I got him down to list, ($2000) and we are getting it. Mrs. Rizzo wants it and happy wife=happy life. Plus the car is too nice for an add-on Garmin IMHO.

I knew there was one difference, just couldn't remember what it was. And this is probably one of the reasons nobody takes advantage of nav-prep. To add nav and the camera, one might as well then just get the car with the full package that includes the "better" stereo too.
The reason why this is of no help is because (as I said in the original post) there are no 2012 Cosmics with Platinum within 500 miles of me, so I have to settle for Prem. Plus and add the nav. However - the dealer quote for Nav AND the camera makes the car cost more than the Platinum package...

Frank,

I am a big proponent of the factory Navigation System because it's integration with the vehicle's systems is tremendous. I understand it is not a cheap solution but it is less costly than the entire Platinum package if you just want Navigation. What I like the best, other than the fact that the full Safe+Secure warranty will be applied to it, is that it is voice activated which is huge when you want to make a decision on the fly. On the other hand, you also get voice activation for the entire telephone feature which, again for me as I spend a lot of time in my car, is priceless. I never touch my telephone when I make or receive calls. Speaking to the system allows me to handle all calls and reduces any distractions.

Take a look at my signature; my current company car is an XC60 that has Premier Plus package and I added the Volvo Navigation System and the tow hitch.

The tow hitch will also carry the Safe+Secure warranty (if installed before delivery at an authorized Volvo retailer) and it is a very, very clean installation; the rear bumper has just a very minor cut, no more than 3" wide and itmisnway under, where a rear diffuser would be. Imperceptible.

Are you working with any of the Power Volvo stores; I was speaking to them yesterday and they told me they were looking for a similar car as the one listed above, in your post. I will be happy to send you a picture of the tow hitch on my car and/or meet up with you if you are in an area from South LA county or anywhere in Orange or San Diego counties.
Thanks for this. I actually went to 3 dealers (I think one of them was Power) and ended up at Culver City because they were the largest in the west. That how I know there are no '12's with platinum and Cosmic nearby :)
I'm going to buy the hitch from the Volvo parts website and put it in myself, so a picture would be cool!!

Cool deal on the Haldex...this will be the 3rd Haldex equipped car I've had. R32, 4mo VW CC and now the XC60. Do they make sport controllers for Gen 5 yet??

thanks for all the replies everybody.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts