SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I finally had her modified to the point I was happy with....it happened. Smacked by an XTerra Sunday morning. Although not official, it sounds like they are going to declare her a total loss...which is tragic because of all the aftermarket parts she has that were not impacted by the crash, and will likely sit in a junkyard now. :(

It may be a blessing in disguise, with 140k miles, a CV joint that had to be replaced real soon, and the clutch was all but dead the day before on a roadtrip (3rd gear was not cooperating). Jsut had to share and vent...you guys all know how much more our cars mean to us than to the average person! I've got a lot of blood and sweat under the hood of that beast.

On the up side, I'm probably picking up a 2013 Ford Focus ST as a replacement, which should prove to be very fun and with a very strong aftermarket support network.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That's horrible, I assume no injuries?

They won't let you pull the parts off of the car? You have some heavy duty stuff on there!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone is ok, thanks for asking :)

From what I'm told I would have to buy it back from the insurance company with a salvage title in order to retain any mechanical parts of the car. Still figuring it all out, and will determine if parting it out would net me more than the cost of buying it back.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Really sorry to hear that, man. I would say that it is definitely a blessing in disguise, and the Focus ST will be a great replacement. Too bad about the parts sitting in the junkyard...someone will be very lucky to find those.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
So they won't let you replace the aftermarket with stock before it heads to the yard? Where is the car sitting now? Accessible? :p Seriously though, glad to hear you're ok!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
That's painful to read! I'm actually sorry you aren't sticking with another S40. I guess you can't bare the memories. Sometime one needs to move on...
I'm not a fan of the ST but I haven't been in one either so maybe I'm too negatively biased toward affordable Fords even though I grew-up with many fords. They typically don't feel very refined and seat and comfort is often average. But hey it should be a bit more fun I presume, smaller, quicker, etc...

In any case glad you are well and no one was injured. That's what matters . . . almost ;)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
glad everyone is ok! sorry to hear about the death of your car. it was a great build.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words fellas. I thought about another S40, but it's time for a change.

If I find out where it ends up, I'll either try and go there myself and get some of the parts back, or at least let people know where it is so maybe a SwedeSpeeder can go get a sweet deal on some nice parts.

·
Registered
951 Posts
So they won't let you replace the aftermarket with stock before it heads to the yard? Where is the car sitting now? Accessible? :p Seriously though, glad to hear you're ok!
+1 part it out!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Thanks for the kind words fellas. I thought about another S40, but it's time for a change.

If I find out where it ends up, I'll either try and go there myself and get some of the parts back, or at least let people know where it is so maybe a SwedeSpeeder can go get a sweet deal on some nice parts.
BTW, don't you have some goodbye pictures pre-totalling? . . . and before you move off to the ST crowd?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Sad day, glad everyone is ok though!

I'd seriously look into buying her back, I bought my car back from the insurance company for hardly anything, figured if she couldn't be repaired I could sell the aftermarket parts for more than I paid for the buyback and then part out the rest of the OEM stuff. If you have space for the car to sit, that is a viable option.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Sorry to hear! If my V50 was ever totalled, I buy it back and transfer all my parts to a low milage MT C30, including the AWD. Then I'd sell what was left. The 2013 Ford ST is supposed to be a pretty nice little car. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Sorry to hear that...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

btw, it'd be nice to see some fair well pictures of the car pre-totaled... I don't care to see S40s cruched :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
btw, it'd be nice to see some fair well pictures of the car pre-totaled... I don't care to see S40s crunched :p
I know. You'd have to call it a C30. :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
sorry to hear...hope we can get some of the goodies around here :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Recent:

Earlier in her development:

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Car was looking so good, I'm sorry to hear... I know what it's like to loose an S40.

Glad to hear you're okay. My collision place let me go pull off all my aftermarket parts before insurance took it. Hopefully you can too.

I'm sure it was a blessing in disguise, whether that be for you or for someone else. Sounds like the car was going to get costly soon, but having the xterra hit a volvo rather than some other small car may have saved a life. You never do know, we all just ask ourselves why...

Will you still be around if you get an ST? We're kind of similar.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Dang! Did the front lip get smashed? I'd buy it in a heartbeat!!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Sorry to hear and very happy to hear that you're ok. You may want to ask the shop that has the car (not the adjuster) if you can replace the aftermarket parts with the stock stuff, they usually don't care and you don't have to go through installing the original items, just leave them in the vehicle.
About the ST, the numbers look good and I'm sure it's a fun car but that interior is god awful. I really can't see past it, it seems like it was designed for a 13 year old. I'd go with a C30 or even an S60 T5. A lot of the S40 parts should fit, they look the same under the hood. The interior of the ST looks like it belongs in a Pontiac Aztec. Good luck and sorry again for your loss.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts