SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK; I was hoping it would never find me. We went through a toll in Norway, April 2011. We had used up all our Swedish coins at the earlier toll and had no Norwegian coins and there were no manned booths. We pulled over at a rest stop that had a tourist office, but no one was there. We didn't know that we could have paid somehow, by going off at the next exit. Not a lot of excuses here, I realized that we did wrong.

Anyhoo - got a bill in the mail yesterday. The toll was $3.21 the fine is $55!!

Chance of returning to Norway, slim to none. The summons was mailed from Germany and has some business return address in London. epcpic.com is the site they direct us to.

OK, I will ask the obvious. What happens if we don't pay? Anyone been there, done that?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't think they can or will do much. It'll cost more than $55 for them to escalate any claim.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The only problem being is that you do not know if their system is part of a "pan-European" system and this may follow you at any E.U. Country that you may be visiting in the future, resulting in exorbitant fines and/or an arrest. I am not sure so I am speculating but seeing how integrated the systems are among all E.U. Countries nothing would surprise me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting post Deb.

Yesterday I received in the mail bills from three "districts" in Norway all for tolls and all being processed epcplc as well.

They were all from the electronically monitored toll roads. We paid at all the ones that took cash but these are the ones that collect via the auto pass which of course I did not have.

Mine are from an OSD on august and sept 2011. We spent about three weeks in Norway. There are a bunch of them on the bills, about a dozen with a total charge of about $40. It does not look like there are any penalties. It will be interesting if more show up in the next few days and if any tickets from all the speed cameras all over Norway.

I plan on paying the road tolls since I used the road but not sure if I would pay speeding tickets, if I get any since I would not get much of a chance to defend or question it.

Since I had not seen this come up before, perhaps it is a new thing Norway is doing-outsourcing the collection of these fees due from cars registered in to US etc owners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Another toll

I received an invoice as well. I suspect that the tolls were sitting in a bucket somewhere and that Volvo just released our information to the billing agency (as they should have, after all, we did use the road(s).) No idea which organization was responsible for the delay (my trip was almost a year ago). It seems to me that the invoice is reasonable but the fine that Deb received is not.

Amy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking more closely at our letter, it says"Original invoice amount - $3.49 Penalty charges - 55.83. I never got the "original
Invoice" Perhaps, Volvo OSD did and never did anything with it till now and as such, 16 months later, I get a fine!

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
I would scan and attach the letter in an email to [email protected] and ask if they were also notified...and what do they suggest.
You could also contact a Norwegian Embassy here in the US and ask why there was such a long delay and what are your options?
Can't hurt

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looking more closely at our letter, it says"Original invoice amount - $3.49 Penalty charges - 55.83. I never got the "original
Invoice" Perhaps, Volvo OSD did and never did anything with it till now and as such, 16 months later, I get a fine!
I wouldn't think Volvo have been involved in this. The vehicle is registered on you at the Swedish Transport Agency (they issue the red plates), since you are the owner and the exporter of the vehicle.

http://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en...emporary-registration/Temporary-registration/

It is most probably from them that the Norweigian authorities have received the information about your address (based on the registration number on the red plates). Then the Norweigian authorities have outsourced the collection of payments to Euro Parking Collection Plc. I would recommend contacting them first, since they have issued the actual bill sent to you.

http://www.epcplc.com/

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The only problem being is that you do not know if their system is part of a "pan-European" system and this may follow you at any E.U. Country that you may be visiting in the future, resulting in exorbitant fines and/or an arrest. I am not sure so I am speculating but seeing how integrated the systems are among all E.U. Countries nothing would surprise me.
Norway isn't part of the E.U ;)

Besides, even if they have info about your car, they surely do not have your driver's license information from your US license. Unless you plan on taking your car back to Europe and plan on using the same temporary registration plates (which by now have expired) then I think you're fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ha, I would frame them and stick them above my desk, knowing that I am a fugitive in another country., and regale others with stories of potential imprisonment upon your return!

I've got a few parking tickets from Montreal, and I live in Toronto. Nothing happens if I dont pay them. They're only 6 hours away on the same continent, under the same federal government. Don't waste a brain cell on your matters.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'll add a few comments since I researched this back in April for our OSD. There are LOTS of toll roads and tunnels in Norway. You are required to have a transponder in your car or pay the toll each time. For us visitors it's impossible to even notice all of them, let alone find a place to pay. If you don't pay up within 48 hrs you are in violation. The "invoice amount" is the amount you should have paid on-site. No grace period after that. The use of British English may be how the word invoice can be misinterpreted.

But there is an option for visitors. You first go to this web site: http://www.autopass.no/Visitors. You put in your car's license plate number and put down a deposit on your credit card. Then you are free to roam all of Norway. They subtract the tolls from your deposit and credit the balance back when you get home. Easy. No worries.

I won't presume to suggest to those of you who now have fines what to do with them. I have no idea what info Norway has about you and what they share with other countries. It's not like just a parking ticket though; it's a moving violation. It's similar to zipping through toll booths here in the US in any major city. Norway tacks on a ~$50 fine.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Interesting. You can even register after your trip to pay the Norwegian tolls, as long as you register within 15 days. See the comments below from the Norway web site referenced. This is good information in case we do another OSD in the future. Thanks.

Registration

Register at AutoPASS Visitors’ Payment before your trip to Norway or no later than 14 days after passing your first payment point. The end date has to be in the future. You don’t need a tag to use AutoPASS Visitors’ Payment. Register your credit card, email address and vehicle registration plate number online to create an account. You decide the duration of the contract period (from one day to two months). Valid credit cards are VISA or MasterCard.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just a quick follow-up to my post about registering. We called over to the FDC a couple days beforehand and they gave us the license plate number. Our rep at the FDC had never heard of anyone else registering. As was pointed out above, you can register up to 14 days later, but technically you are in violation after only 48 hrs - not sure how that is reconciled.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI - Volvo OSD's person that monitors their Facebook page posted that they would check into this for us.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I wouldn't think Volvo have been involved in this. The vehicle is registered on you at the Swedish Transport Agency (they issue the red plates), since you are the owner and the exporter of the vehicle.
Yes, but what address did Volvo give STA? I'm sure it was an address in Sweden since the plates went to Volvo, not to my home in the US.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
It (http://www.autopass.no/Visitors) seems like something OSD center should be notifying its customers if they head to Norway.
The turists plate numbers are not known until you pick the car (at least tI did not know them earlier).

Krzys
That would be nice but not everyone goes to Norway. Should OSD provide information about traffic/toll regulations in every European country?

We spent a lot of time researching those regulations before our trip. It was all available on the web and/or in guidebooks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, but what address did Volvo give STA? I'm sure it was an address in Sweden since the plates went to Volvo, not to my home in the US.
I would expect that Volvo provided STA with both your home address and a delivery address (Volvo FDC in Gothenburg) for the red license plates. That's how it works when a regular Swede purchases a new vehicle at any auto dealer in Sweden. The dealer takes care of the registration of the new vehicle at STA for the customer, receives the (white) license plates from STA and puts those on the vehicle before the customer picks it up.

By the way, used vehicles keep their license plates when the vehicles change owners. The license plates are associated with the vehicle, not the owner. All you (or most often the dealer) have to do is register the new owner for the vehicle at STA.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I would expect that Volvo provided STA with both your home address and a delivery address (Volvo FDC in Gothenburg) for the red license plates. That's how it works when a regular Swede purchases a new vehicle at any auto dealer in Sweden. The dealer takes care of the registration of the new vehicle at STA for the customer, receives the (white) license plates from STA and puts those on the vehicle before the customer picks it up.
I wonder if STA can handle a US-formatted address in their system. I doubt if any US-state DMV could handle a Swedish mailing address. The plates are registered in our names but I imagine with FDC's address (or a paperwork handing subcontractor).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts