SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 focus st3 with 19k I owe about 32 payments left on it and paying around 330/m
I have this car w all the bolt ons possible and it’s not tuned yet but I love it

I have a 6 month old and was debating getting a vehicle w more trunk space

I posted this thread in the polestar forum bc that’s what I originally wanted but that car is expensive and the maintenance on some items just doesn’t seem practical to me

I’m just curious how sporty is the R design? I’m looking for a vehicle that I can gain interior room and not sacrifice too much fun

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure how much bigger the back seat is in the v60 compared to the focus. It may not be much. I suggest go to a volvo dealer with your baby car seat and see how it fits. You may realize it may not be much bigger as that model is still quite small.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m looking for more trunk space

Specs say the v60 has 11” more length of trunk space vs the ST

I just wanted to see some people’s thoughts on the R design platform

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sporty car for sure. Definitely a lot faster than your focus but also not in the same realm of vehicle.

The RDesign IMO is superior to the polestar as a daily driver for multiple reasons but maybe the most important is ride quality. The RD rides very well and with a larger tire sidewall absorbs bumps far better.

One thing to keep in mind is the cost for upgrades. The focus is an entry level car with a very large aftermarket. Due to the much lower volume of the RD, the parts prices are downright stupid. The performance gains to be had with aftermarket parts are marginal but out of the box it's a pretty quick car.

Personally, the 14-16MY V60 is the one I would go for because of the 3.0L I6.

I think you will be happy with the switch but if you're looking for a larger vehicle, I don't think the V60 is a big step up - its actually a pretty small vehicle inside. Trunk space; yes. Rear seat space; no.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Even with a small wagon, trunk space is lacking. Perhaps check out an Acura RDX or loaded CRV, or a loaded RAV4.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Even with a small wagon, trunk space is lacking. Perhaps check out an Acura RDX or loaded CRV, or a loaded RAV4.
We just bought an XC60, much more room in interior in general!

·
Registered
753 Posts
We just bought an XC60, much more room in interior in general!

Love the XC60 too, add that to the list. My fam has got a loaded 2013 XC90 we purchased 3 years ago. Signature leather, 2 dvds for kids in back seats, 189 inches long.

XC60, RAV4 and CRV are about 183 inches long

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted the v60 R bc I currently have a focus st and if I give up some sportiness I would settle for the v60 R and not an suv

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wanted the v60 R bc I currently have a focus st and if I give up some sportiness I would settle for the v60 R and not an suv
Sounds like you need to drive one for yourself to see if it will work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have two kids aged 11 and 6. Both are in boosters and the younger was also in a car seat in the V60. It’s not a big car, which is why l like it, but it’s big enough to load up with stuff for a week away. Big enough for a stroller and some bags for regular day to day use. If you’re contemplating keeping the Focus, the V60 will be a step up, in a lot of ways. Make sure your current and next step car seats fit with your seat positions. My wife and I are 5’7” and we’ve never had an issue with car seats. Others prefer more room, or need to put the front seats farther back for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the 2016 S60 R design Drive-E and came from a ‘13 focus ST3.

I enjoy the car a lot and love the feel. I do feel limited on what I can do to the car vs when I had the ST. I miss how easy tuning was and the aftermarket. I do recommend you get the Polestar Tune on it. It really wakes the car up.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am worried I might miss the tuning part
I loved that when I went from my s40 to the ST

I would want at least 350whp in the R design

I saw viva has a different turbo too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
697 Posts

Could you get into an Audi wagon, like an Allroad? Awesome aftermarket and a lot more space.

·
Registered
519 Posts

IMO replacing the turbo with a bigger one would defeat the purpose of the RD. It has a smaller turbo which spools up quick for instant low down torque. It might not keep up with a P* on the track but IMO it’s a better DD as it has no lag whatsoever from standstill. If you like to burn off literally everyone at the lights this is the car for you. Bu if you want a track warrior with the balance and finesse of a ST..............

·
Registered
84 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Depends on the Engine. If it is the 3.0L the you have aftermarket power options. The 2.0L T6 does not that I have found. The Turbo and Super Charger combo seems to have just an air intake and FMIC now

·
Registered
775 Posts
Could you get into an Audi wagon, like an Allroad? Awesome aftermarket and a lot more space.
These only have 2.0T though. Also overpriced imo

·
Registered
13,502 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Then just hold out and wait for a Polestar to be available that's in your price range - it's not like they're flying off the shelves. It already has the performance bits installed and engineered to work on the car. When they were new the incremental cost was $7.5k more than a fully loaded RD and for that you got brakes, suspension, wheels, turbo, active exhaust, body kit. I'd recommend a '15.5 or '16 car for the 3 liter inline six.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then just hold out and wait for a Polestar to be available that's in your price range - it's not like they're flying off the shelves. It already has the performance bits installed and engineered to work on the car. When they were new the incremental cost was $7.5k more than a fully loaded RD and for that you got brakes, suspension, wheels, turbo, active exhaust, body kit. I'd recommend a '15.5 or '16 car for the 3 liter inline six.[/QUOTE]

im not sure on the polestar after reading the maintenance cost on some of the items......

cant the R design hit good numbers with intercooler, downpipe and a tune?

I only would want the Volvo V60 R and not just any other wagon, I have love for Volvo and if im switching it will be to a Volvo.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Then just hold out and wait for a Polestar to be available that's in your price range - it's not like they're flying off the shelves. It already has the performance bits installed and engineered to work on the car. When they were new the incremental cost was $7.5k more than a fully loaded RD and for that you got brakes, suspension, wheels, turbo, active exhaust, body kit. I'd recommend a '15.5 or '16 car for the 3 liter inline six.
im not sure on the polestar after reading the maintenance cost on some of the items......

cant the R design hit good numbers with intercooler, downpipe and a tune?

I only would want the Volvo V60 R and not just any other wagon, I have love for Volvo and if im switching it will be to a Volvo.[/QUOTE]

What maintenance cost concerns you? Brakes and tires?

I would imagine the RD would hit good numbers with those parts added but by the time all is said and done the Polestar would only be a few dollars more.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The P3 is not a very tunable platform. If you want to do what you did with the ST, you'll be upset.

I came from a WRX and had all the fun bits with Cobb Tuning maps to the T6 non-R Design (but honestly, they're not that much different and I got the Polestar Tune), and don't regret it that much. There are times I still had the manual and could throw it around a bit more, and could play some some maps and tunes. Honestly though, the platform is great and more playable and fun than the WRX since I'm able to put the car into DTSC Sport and get more tail wiggle off throttle, unlike the WRX which stuck and just understeered when pushed hard. The engine is a beauty, and the fact that the car weights nearly 4000 lbs and still moves with such ease and quickness is a testament to the power of the SI6. And don't get me started on the interior and the seats compared to the 2010 WRX... night and day. Most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, in any vehicle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts