SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I'll be selling my 07 SR in the next month or two due to me heading back overseas. Entertained those " we'll buy your car" offers at a few dealerships and was a little shocked but then started to wonder if this is a trend on these cars now. That depreciation and low demand have set in on these cars.

Offers were from 5600-7000 for a damn near mint, fully loaded, every option, well maintained 07 SR with 113k.

So I'm curious what numbers are you guys seeing out there? I know its better to sell private party and I plan that route at first but if I can't sell it in time before I have to report for training and then leave I'm probably just gonna go that route and move on.
Evan

·
Registered
117 Posts
not sure what you expected to see from those types of services. Car is worth ~9k maybe a touch more private party. Take about 20%-25% off for a decent dealer trade in and up to 40% off for the "we buy anything" type places.

I've actually seen prices start to level out if not increase a bit in the last year or so as the number of clean examples dwindles.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
So I'm curious what numbers are you guys seeing out there? I know its better to sell private party and I plan that route at first but if I can't sell it in time before I have to report for training and then leave I'm probably just gonna go that route and move on.
If you fall back to just taking that low price to move it, do one better and find a foRum member who will match the price so at least you know the caR stays well kept. Let some member benefit, rather than some random dealer.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
These cars are almost 10 years old and relatively expensive to maintain. They'll lose value rapidly at around 10 years old like other cars in this category (See 2005 Audi S4).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you fall back to just taking that low price to move it, do one better and find a foRum member who will match the price so at least you know the caR stays well kept. Let some member benefit, rather than some random dealer.
Trust me I would much rather sell it to a forum member its worth a hell of a lot more to me than 6K.. I understand they have to make money and these cars are depreciating but **** I was just expecting a little bit better than that.
I'll post it up here in a few weeks so you guys can see it. Trading it in will be a last last resort if I can't find a buyer and if it gets close to my school start date.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I was offered around $5K for my 155K 06 VR MT with a chassis light on the dash. I sold private party, thankfully.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Trust me I would much rather sell it to a forum member its worth a hell of a lot more to me than 6K.. I understand they have to make money and these cars are depreciating but **** I was just expecting a little bit better than that.
I'll post it up here in a few weeks so you guys can see it. Trading it in will be a last last resort if I can't find a buyer and if it gets close to my school start date.
Try Carmax - they seem to have the best trade in value going with the advantage that they will buy your car outright. I used these guys to get the trade in value I wanted on my last challenger. They even offered another 1K if the tires were new. I had free tires for life at the time, so I went & had them put on, went back to carmax got the written offer and took it to my dealer to match. I did the same thing on my wife's lease and used that value to net + cash on her next lease.

Other than private sale (and you are really looking for that illusive enthusiast) carmax seems to be the best option out our way (PNW).

GLWS

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What's interesting is I have heard that Carmax was good but Auto Nation was better with the trade in. So there were one of the places I contacted. I have t tried car max nay give them a shout if the private party methods doesn't work out. I'm sure it will.

BTW how did you get free tires for life.. I have never heard of such a thing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oddly enough, I bought my car for what it was traded in for, which was $5500. 07 S60R with 117k on the clock. Take that info with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oddly enough, I bought my car for what it was traded in for, which was $5500. 07 S60R with 117k on the clock. Take that info with a grain of salt.
with passion red atacama with a spaceball?!:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
with passion red atacama with a spaceball?!:eek:
Nordkap. I borrowed the passion kap name from the prior owner. But yes to the space ball. :) Had all the mods listed in my Sig done already. Had 3/4 the sport kit installed, was missing the winglets which I I'm getting next week.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
BTW how did you get free tires for life.. I have never heard of such a thing?
Local dodge dealer was offering it - it's through an insurance company I believe. There was some fine print about abuse and neglect and I am sure if I tried it every 6 months they would have told me to F off. I didn't abuse it and got 2 new sets of tires in 4 years, probably saved me a couple of grand plus TPMS monitors. I only had to pay for an alignment at $100. The only issue I had was 3 tires at less than 2/32 and one that was at 4/32. They wouldn't touch it until all 4 were at <3/32. THAT was not a problem;). They did trash one rim and replaced it without me having to saying anything.

When I got the new challenger I asked them if they were still offering it and they said no - too much abuse.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
When I got the new challenger I asked them if they were still offering it and they said no - too much abuse.
Not surprised to see that didn't last. I'm the kind of guy who makes that a losing proposition if I didn't have AWD, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts