SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some months ago I had issues with traction and ABS. It turned out the ABS/DTSC control unit was broken and needed to be changed. After I got the new one everything was fine. Some weeks later I noticed rattling from the front suspension. First issue noticed was that the strut mounts were cracked. I got the IPD HD ones including the HD spring seat, but my mechanic also told me the control arm bushings would need to be changed pretty soon. I decided to run a little more with these to order the complete front suspension kit from IPD later. There were still some rattling but much less than before and handling was much better, though not perfect still. During acceleration I can feel some pulling right and left and the car feels a little unstable still. Yesterday I was driving it in rain for the first time. I decided to test if the traction control is still working as it should and pulled hard from standing still. The car felt very unstable and were pulling left and right like it was spinning in the rain.
Note that this is a car that used to feel like a tank in rain and snow. Never any issues. Pulling hard from standing still in rain and the car used to go straight forward.

Now the question is if very bad control arm bushings can create this symptom of instability or if I might have issues with that new ABS/DTSC control unit. I'd like to get that fixed before that repair runs out of warranty.

Anyone ever had any similar issues? I am pretty bummed out of this, because I have always trusted this car in terms of driving safety, but now I am driving very carefully and I do not trust it anymore.
I been running around 120K.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Did the TC triangle start flashing? If it was losing grip the TC triangle would flash and you might year the ABS module, the car pull power. LCAs will do funny things. Scan it with VIDA.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the TC triangle start flashing? If it was losing grip the TC triangle would flash and you might year the ABS module, the car pull power. LCAs will do funny things. Scan it with VIDA.
No, I can't remember the triangle flashing. I will test today since it's raining again. So if the triangle is not flashing does it mean I did not lose grip at least and could be assumed that the new DTSC control unit still functions well?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
No, I can't remember the triangle flashing. I will test today since it's raining again. So if the triangle is not flashing does it mean I did not lose grip at least and could be assumed that the new DTSC control unit still functions well?
Yes, or the DSTC module is broken and not registering a lack of traction. VIDA will tell you.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The control arm bushings will definitely make the car feel unstable if bad. When mine went bad, my caR would pull left and right and this was particularly noticeable on the highway while cruising almost as if the steering had a mind of its own or as if the car was tracking ruts in the road. I installed poly bushings and no more issues. I also echo the comment about scanning for codes with VIDA.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The control arm bushings will definitely make the car feel unstable if bad. When mine went bad, my caR would pull left and right and this was particularly noticeable on the highway while cruising almost as if the steering had a mind of its own or as if the car was tracking ruts in the road. I installed poly bushings and no more issues. I also echo the comment about scanning for codes with VIDA.
Yeah, this is probably it then. I tried it out in pouring rain today again. I did not get any light coming on for DTSC and I could feel I got good traction. Just felt unstable, pulling slightly left and right.
Are the IPD Control Arms with bushings and all recommended? I assume it would be a better option than just pushing new bushings into the stock control arms.

These ones:
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/11241/124676-hd-control-arm-kit-p2-s60-v70

Or should I just go for this package while in there anyway?
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/11378/124845-hd-front-suspension-kit-p2-s60-v70

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
It's not. I'd go OEM, Lemforder (OE supplier), or swap the bushings. Do poly in the front position and XC70 in the rear position. FCP has Lemforder.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I understand the IPD arms are good, but have no first hand experience with them. Do not get Meyle arms whatever you do. I went that route and it was in fact those bushings which failed on me after way too few miles... I replaced the fronts with poly bushings (Powerflex), the rears were fine. Tricky part is knowing which metal inserts you have as the poly front bushings require you to re-use the metal inserts. Some are tapered from the factory while others are not. The tapered version is required for the poly bushings. Search for a thread I started on the topic and you'll see why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts