SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in knowing who here on SwedeSpeed has experience setting up an R for tracking. I know Blot has. But who else?

·
Registered
974 Posts
ZekeUSMC just posted a video yesterday.... Granted his car isn't like most of ours

·
Registered
753 Posts
I tracked my SR GT couple times.
Here is my set up:
SS brake lines
PowerSlot slotted rotors
Project Mu Club Racer brake pads
Motul 5.1 Brake fluid
Custom transmisssion cooler
Dunlop D01J R compound tires.
Castrol Edge 5W-30 engine oil
With this set up I was able to push a B7 S4 to move away in turns (but it blasted me in the straight)
I have no brake fade.
Since you have a GT as well I strongly suggest you install an ATF cooler other wise your car would shift weirdly after one or two sections.
Also a 5W-40 engine would be more suitable for this kind of weather.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tracked my SR GT couple times.
Here is my set up:
SS brake lines
PowerSlot slotted rotors
Project Mu Club Racer brake pads
Motul 5.1 Brake fluid
Custom transmisssion cooler
Dunlop D01J R compound tires.
Castrol Edge 5W-30 engine oil
With this set up I was able to push a B7 S4 to move away in turns (but it blasted me in the straight)
I have no brake fade.
Since you have a GT as well I strongly suggest you install an ATF cooler other wise your car would shift weirdly after one or two sections.
Also a 5W-40 engine would be more suitable for this kind of weather.
I am very interested brake pad details, alignment, and trans cooler modification/installation details. The rest is under control.

It's pretty much 100degrees or more through most of a typical track day at Willow Springs Raceway.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I run a B&M universal oil cooler as transmission cooler and install it inline on the radiator.
Brake pads are Project Mu Club Racer for STi/ Evo and you can find it in PMU dealer or Ebay.
Alignment spec is different for every one since different people have different driving style.
What kind of engine oil are you running?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I run a B&M universal oil cooler as transmission cooler and install it inline on the radiator.
Brake pads are Project Mu Club Racer for STi/ Evo and you can find it in PMU dealer or Ebay.
Alignment spec is different for every one since different people have different driving style.
What kind of engine oil are you running?
I believe I'm currently running Volvo's Euro Synthetic

As for alignment, where's a good place to start? I'm sitting a hair lower than Eibachs.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I believe the Volvo spc is 0W30.
I would suggest you run on a thicker weight oil.
I am currently running Fuchs GT1 5W40 which very popular in the Porsch club racing series.
As for aligment spec I would suggest you go with stock spec and tune from there.
Some people likes toe out which is good for fast steering respond but I absolutly hate it.
The car is too steering happy to my preference.
I even have to fight the car to go straight when I accelerate.
Also remove your engine bay seal to help reduce engine bay temperature.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
J, would love to see a how-to/write up on parts and installation on that ATF cooler. I've been wanting to do one, as the old 5speed autos live a lot longer on cooler fluid. :D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
+1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
588 Posts
+2 Writeup!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Buy and install the IPD intercooler. Heat soak at the track will rob you of tons of power.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I can't remember how it was being done.
I remember my friend had to cut te current host nipple and weld it on a new one and run it inline with the current radiator in/outlet.
Costed me $150 for parts and labor.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
parts list at least? where did you end up placing it exactly?

Anyone know what side inlet/outlet we'd need or what kind of hose and ends to make this work?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I bought an universal B&M oil cooler and hose.
Mounted it behind the nose grill.
It works great under track condition.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I bought an universal B&M oil cooler and hose.
Mounted it behind the nose grill.
It works great under track condition.
picked up on that part. I'm not trying to hound you, so I hope I'm not being annoying. This is just a mod lots of folks are interested in.

Something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-M-POLISHE...ruck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1797wt_1124

or more like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-M-SuperCo...Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1650wt_891

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the super cooler.
I think the difference of the polished one is just the size and color.
Mine is bigger and in black color

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't remember how it was being done.
I remember my friend had to cut te current host nipple and weld it on a new one and run it inline with the current radiator in/outlet.
Costed me $150 for parts and labor.
Can you say what size B&M and/or even the exact model you used or would use if you could do it over again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
im starting to looking into getting into road racing and autocrossing with the my SR. I was just about to do some measuring to see if i can fit a cooler on the driver side behind the fog light. I was thinking about a pusher fan set up on the cooler for when im actually at the track. Ill let you guys know where i am hopefully at the end of the week.

This is the set up i am thinking about using.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im starting to looking into getting into road racing and autocrossing with the my SR. I was just about to do some measuring to see if i can fit a cooler on the driver side behind the fog light. I was thinking about a pusher fan set up on the cooler for when im actually at the track. Ill let you guys know where i am hopefully at the end of the week.

This is the set up i am thinking about using.
Very cool! Do you have part numbers or links to this setup?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ferodo DS2500 pads all around or can swap on DS3000 on front if hardcore. S/S brake lines, titanium backing plates not bad to cut down on heat transfer. No fluid beats Castrol SRF, but it is costs more for sure. I put on the IPD rear camber correction bushings, like the car with less neg camber, seems to make the car more neutral, able to get the back around even.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts