SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can we track the status of the vehicle during its trip to the USA? I was told that it was to leave factory on 9/10.Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went to link and received message that session has expired. Does not open to new link or refreshes page.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once our car arrives in Newark,NJ , what is the time frame that it is delivered to the dealer on Long Island?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Depends on how quick it clears customs and then the truck ride to the dealer. If the truck isn't full, it may wait for a few days until it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the cars previously driven through OSD get the same protective treatment that a 'new' car (not driven in Europe) gets? Do they get the white plastic stuff on the body panels, etc? Mine's just starting it's voyage across the pond.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the cars previously driven through OSD get the same protective treatment that a 'new' car (not driven in Europe) gets? Do they get the white plastic stuff on the body panels, etc? Mine's just starting it's voyage across the pond.
Thanks!
If your Overseas Delivery Volvo was driven in Europe it will not be wrapped in "the white plastic stuff" that regular new cars receive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Shipping Logistics? Our car is in Belgium and will depart in a few days. I've been told that our car will be offloaded in LA and shipped by truck to Seattle. I just noticed our ship's itinerary arrives in Tacoma, WA., four days after leaving LA. I wonder why they would not leave our car on the ship until arriving in Tacoma, I would think it would be faster and more cost efficient?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cobalt, mine did the same thing; it was released in Baltimore, but the ship went on to Portsmouth, VA, which is only a few miles from where I live. I can only guess that certain ports don't have the facilities to take and store cars as they wait for customs to inspect them.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Cobalt, mine did the same thing; it was released in Baltimore, but the ship went on to Portsmouth, VA, which is only a few miles from where I live. I can only guess that certain ports don't have the facilities to take and store cars as they wait for customs to inspect them.
That's correct. In addition at the ports where Volvo cars arrive in the US there is also a Volvo facility to process the vehicles.

William

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks William.

I have another question: My car was showing 'customs release' and 'liner release' on Monday morning. I expected it to be at the dealer by late Tuesday, at the latest, since the port is less than a half-day's drive from the dealer. I have heard nothing, and it's now four days later. What could be causing the delay? I assumed that 'liner release' meant that it had been put on a vehicle carrier...

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Thanks William.

I have another question: My car was showing 'customs release' and 'liner release' on Monday morning. I expected it to be at the dealer by late Tuesday, at the latest, since the port is less than a half-day's drive from the dealer. I have heard nothing, and it's now four days later. What could be causing the delay? I assumed that 'liner release' meant that it had been put on a vehicle carrier...

Thanks!
Cars do not just go off the ship and onto a truck to the retailers. They have to go through port processing (along with hundreds and/or thousands of other cars), customs clearance, quality check (for any upgrades that might have been posted during the time it was on the vessel), etc.

Additionally, let's say that the retailer where your car is heading to has your car and only one more scheduled. The truck holds up to 8 cars. They will not make the trip for 2 cars only. They will try to configure (if possible) a full load. Which means they will try to gather 6 more cars that are going to nearby retailers or if there is another vessel that has arrived within a couple of days when yours arrived, they will wait to get cars from that vessel's batch. It's a very carefully "choreographed" (if you will) process.

My, uneducated, guess is that you will be seeing your car on Friday or Monday.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info. It had already been at the port for a week before it went through customs, so I thought it was almost here. It's more difficult waiting the final week than it was waiting for months!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Thanks for the info. It had already been at the port for a week before it went through customs, so I thought it was almost here. It's more difficult waiting the final week than it was waiting for months!
Yes, this is the toughest part of Overseas Delivery.

Hang in there...

You will be driving your Volvo in the US soon!

1 - 20 of 544 Posts