SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife's XC 90 arrived on the West Coast to Port Hueneme ! My BMW M4 arrived the day before. How do you Volvo guys track your car after delivery to port? Did you guys find the guidance provided by Volvo to be accurate (the email / letter stating the ETA of your Volvo at the dealership) ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same question. My car is scheduled to arrive in Brunswick, GA on 9/7. I haven't received the Email yet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have the same question. My car is scheduled to arrive in Brunswick, GA on 9/7. I haven't received the Email yet.
Not your manufacturer but I'm sure Volvo has a similar vehicle distribution center and process. Its been interesting to pass the miserable wait for my cars by reading about the whole process! haha I tracked two ships like UPS packages through several oceans and the Panama Canal ! haha :p

Interesting read ----------) http://www.m3post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did yours ship from Gothenburg on the 31st? Mine was supposed to ship on the 31st to Georgia. I have yet to receive any correspondence on arrival.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did yours ship from Gothenburg on the 31st? Mine was supposed to ship on the 31st to Georgia. I have yet to receive any correspondence on arrival.
My cars sailed Aug. 5 and Aug. 8 from Bremerhaven, Germany. I dropped the vehicles at the Munich Airport to LogInOut (overland transport company). I contacted LogInOut a week after drop off to learn the name of the vessels "my babies" were booked on, marine transport company name and of course the ETA into port here on the West Coast. I tracked the ships on their voyage using marine shipping company Wallenius Wilhelmsen (plug in vin #) and a website for maritime enthusiasts showing position of the vessels on the globe! haha Yeah I know.... a little OCD. Volvo emailed me an ETA on arrival to dealership but I find their information generic / automated. I already know of a campaign (recall) for the 2016 XC 90 and that little work order will be completed at Volvo's vehicle distribution center at the port ( = delayed). I hope to have my BMW M4 by Volvo's ETA date of September 21! lol

I just learned through my BimmerFest Forum that through Wallenius Wilhelmsen marine transport that I will learn when my cars have cleared customs and "driven up the street" to their respective Vehicle Distribution Centers (Volvo & BMW) to be processed and eventually placed on a truck destined for the dealership.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My BMW cleared customs after arriving on The Toronto who made port last Thursday, one day prior to The Toledo's arrival (wife's XC 90 aboard). One step closer to redelivery ! :partywave:

·
Registered
72 Posts
My BMW cleared customs after arriving on The Toronto who made port last Thursday, one day prior to The Toledo's arrival (wife's XC 90 aboard). One step closer to redelivery ! :partywave:
Have you done your research for insurance? When is your car insurance supposed to start? At the dealship when you pick up the car? So far, which insurance companies have relatively competitive rates than others? Is there a standard procedure to get title and pay tax in the US for OSD cars?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you done your research for insurance? When is your car insurance supposed to start? At the dealship when you pick up the car? So far, which insurance companies have relatively competitive rates than others? Is there a standard procedure to get title and pay tax in the US for OSD cars?
I believe your car is insured 2 weeks after REDELIVERY at your dealership. After that you will need to have your insurance in place. I have done some shopping around for insurance but will be motivated (really) when I have and am enjoying driving the cars here!! My tax and license was paid (like non OSD dealership purchase) when the lease and finance contract were inked, in my case, day before departing for Europe to pick them up.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
That may vary with state and dealership. When I picked mine up at the US dealer in Pennsylvania, it had PA state inspection stickers and license plate on the rear. The dealer already had my insurance information and informed my agent when I was picking up the car. Sales tax was included in the original contract.

In other words, the US pickup was just like any other new car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That may vary with state and dealership. When I picked mine up at the US dealer in Pennsylvania, it had PA state inspection stickers and license plate on the rear. The dealer already had my insurance information and informed my agent when I was picking up the car. Sales tax was included in the original contract.

In other words, the US pickup was just like any other new car.
Here in California it seems to take some time for DMV to send tags and therefore you have a temporary "tag" taped in the window. Very fine by me cause I enjoy running around getting strange looks with Swedish and German tags on my cars! haha
I remember last time leaving the tags I finally received in the mail in my trunk an extra 3 weeks before finally being "done" with my European Delivery !:partywave:

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Here in California it seems to take some time for DMV to send tags and therefore you have a temporary "tag" taped in the window. Very fine by me cause I enjoy running around getting strange looks with Swedish and German tags on my cars! haha
I remember last time leaving the tags I finally received in the mail in my trunk an extra 3 weeks before finally being "done" with my European Delivery !:partywave:
In PA, the dealers have real tags but we still get the big-sticker-in-window registration until the real sticker arrives. That way DMV gets the sales tax and paperwork!

Since I live in a rear-plate-only state, I kept the red OSD tag on the front. Most OSD vehicle owners in the area seem to do the same (I'm basing my belief in their "OSD status" on having the red plate and/or (S) sticker in rear window).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
In PA, the dealers have real tags but we still get the big-sticker-in-window registration until the real sticker arrives. That way DMV gets the sales tax and paperwork!

Since I live in a rear-plate-only state, I kept the red OSD tag on the front. Most OSD vehicle owners in the area seem to do the same (I'm basing my belief in their "OSD status" on having the red plate and/or (S) sticker in rear window).
So humorous how government works here, there and everywhere. Here in California you will get a "fix it" ticket for not having a front license plate. They are afraid you are going to interrupt the "revenue stream" if their traffic enforcement cameras can't snap a picture of a valid front plate. Not having a front plate ends up being a "good" reason to be pulled over and at the very least, receiving that mentioned fix it ticket. Many of us just pay the fix it ticket and never make the correction, which coincidently seems fine with them, of course after that $30 dollar fee for the fix it ticket is settled. The California Highway Patrol, at least where I live, won't walk out their office to see the proof of collection when your there paying up!! haha We all know what time it is .....

I love the OSD plates but must say that sticker in the back window has to go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts