SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With some track days and Auto crosses coming up its time replace the ancient bell helmet. Looking for a nice comfortable light weight helmet.

TIA

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ordered an RCI Snell M2010 from Summit Racing (looks like these are about $35 cheaper than I paid a month ago). Helmet fit fine and was comfortable. I never really noticed the helmet while on the track. Vendor shipped promptly, was properly packaged and helmet arrived in good shape.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I would say find a shop where you can actually try them on. Also, when a helmet is new it SHOULD feel a little too tight. If it's not, then once it breaks in it will be too loose and may come off in a crash.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Keep an eye on gearheaddeals.com

I have an older hjc helmet (snell 2005), they're affordable and comfortable at the expense of being a bit heavier. However find your size and keep an eye out on gear head deals when they have surplus sales (on certain sizes only) on websites like safe racer and the like. Whatever you do get something that's as light as possible, comfy, and snell 2010 rated.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I'm looking for a new helmet I notice most of the nice graphics in reasonable price range are motorcycle helmets. The only difference I can see is the fire rating. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Might want to check regulations with any organization you'll be running with to see if motorcycle helmets are allowed. I would imagine they would require some form of Snell SA rating rather an M rating.

If you want nice graphics, do it the right way and get it custom painted. ;)

I always recommend something from Arai's GP range, as well as Bell, Stilo, or Sparco. Arai makes the best product, Bell is good value for what you get, and Stilo and Sparco are both quality pieces as well. Fitment of the Arai GP line is second-to-none. It's what you see professional drivers in all major forms of motorsport from NASCAR to F1 wearing. I have a Sparco WTX-7 Air (pictured above) currently but previously used an Arai SK-6 (same as GP-6 but without the fireproof rating). The Arai just fits like a glove. The Sparco is every bit quality as the Arai but it doesn't fit me as nicely. It's also a slight bit heavier, even though it's carbon.

If you don't want shell out a ton of cash, go for something cheaper but still a car helmet. Motorcycle helmets are balanced a little different and offer a little different visibility because their use is different. I've never found them comfortable in a car/kart but I know some people who don't mind. Either way, the most important thing is the fitment of the helmet. If you can try a few on before you buy, that's best.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Go into any motorcycle store and pick out a decent SNELL approved helmet. Surprisingly HJC has stepped up their game significantly and alot of their stuff like the CL-17 is really good quality. I like wearing the CL-17 over my Icon Airmada. It's a little louder on the highway on a bike, but that's no concern in a car... Best bet is to go around and try helmets on.

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
Some tracks will not let you on with an M helmet. M and SA rated helmets are designed for different situations and an M helmet in a car is not design spec. Sure they may be cheaper....but how much is being a vegetable worth to you?

Also, this thread has ZERO to do with Rs....move it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's a good point. My track allows it but I didn't think others may not. The flamability test is also important so ignore my comment OP.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Also, this thread has ZERO to do with Rs....move it.
Thanks for the info, This is the first part of race prep for the VR and it's Driver. I hope to be close to 140mph this Race. Head gear becomes important, even if it's a strait line.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Might want to check regulations with any organization you'll be running with to see if motorcycle helmets are allowed. I would imagine they would require some form of Snell SA rating rather an M rating.

If you want nice graphics, do it the right way and get it custom painted. ;)

I always recommend something from Arai's GP range, as well as Bell, Stilo, or Sparco. Arai makes the best product, Bell is good value for what you get, and Stilo and Sparco are both quality pieces as well. Fitment of the Arai GP line is second-to-none. It's what you see professional drivers in all major forms of motorsport from NASCAR to F1 wearing. I have a Sparco WTX-7 Air (pictured above) currently but previously used an Arai SK-6 (same as GP-6 but without the fireproof rating). The Arai just fits like a glove. The Sparco is every bit quality as the Arai but it doesn't fit me as nicely. It's also a slight bit heavier, even though it's carbon.

If you don't want shell out a ton of cash, go for something cheaper but still a car helmet. Motorcycle helmets are balanced a little different and offer a little different visibility because their use is different. I've never found them comfortable in a car/kart but I know some people who don't mind. Either way, the most important thing is the fitment of the helmet. If you can try a few on before you buy, that's best.
I agree, you need to talk with each place you will be using it and find something that meets all their requirements. Drag strip, auto x, road course, Texas mile type events They could all require a different helmet spec and the last thing you want to do is buy one that doesn't meet the specs you need and not be able to use it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hey if he drives an R on track this is the correct place for the post. I have had an HJC Si-12 for four years the best lightest helmet I have ever used, that will pass any tech inspection for use in cars. Important motorcycle helmets are not fire proof. That is what the safety stewards are looking for. The Si-12 is do good I even bought my wife one. It is even lighter than the HJC carbon fiber one. You really do want to find a shop that carries them to try on for such a big purchase. Bell is made on a circle shape and HJC is oval. All brands differ just a little but definitely take your time getting the right one.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This feed back has moved me up the scale in Helmets as the car moves up in performance.

Can anyone recommend a good R designed paint theme and painter for a white helmet ?

This is a step up from the open face helmet i used last year. Will take the big upgrade when the car is prepped for the mile run next year.

Current planed upgrade
HJC Helmets AR-10 II Series SA2010 Approved Helmet with Clear Face Shield and Nomex Liner

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The HJC auto helmets are a good line as well. AR-10 is a pretty good choice.

I hate to self-promote but I'm shameless; I paint helmets. ;) If you're interested, check out my website: www.oktanevisual.com I do all the design and paint.

Only note is that I'm booked up through December.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The HJC auto helmets are a good line as well. AR-10 is a pretty good choice.

I hate to self-promote but I'm shameless; I paint helmets. ;) If you're interested, check out my website: www.oktanevisual.com I do all the design and paint.

Only note is that I'm booked up through December.
Not even room for a R paint job ?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Not even room for a R paint job ?
I wish I could make room! I would be happy to put you on my "first-in-line-in-the-event-of-a-cancellation" list. Email me if you want to talk further about it!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Email sent :partywave:

Just think you will have a R design for the market

1 - 20 of 20 Posts