SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my opinion, tracking your car is the ultimate test of a car’s build out and setup. My last track day was in the summer of 2019, and I have made numerous modifications to my car since that outing including Hilton Tuning, KMAC Camber Plates, Marks Auto Performance intercooler, Project 6GR rims with 275/ZR35 PS4 tires, Elevate eCRV, Prosport direct reading temperature gauges and the do88 high capacity radiator. Including with these changes was a return from external Setreb oil coolers to the OEM heat exchanger coolers for crankcase oil and transmission fluid.

Although all of these upgrades contributed to a successful day at the track, the area I was most intensely focused on was coolant and oil temperatures. With an aluminum block engine there is little margin for error if overheating occurs. With daytime temps running a cool 55F-65F, (12C-18C), the environment was definitely in my court. With me pushing the car to about 85% of my personal limit, coolant temps never exceeded 219F (110C) and oil temps never exceeded 232F (112C). If you plan to stress your car, I highly recommend the do88 radiator.

I was unable to evaluate transmission temps. For some reason, my Torque App custom PID (the “Russian” PID) for trans temps is just ghosting the coolant temps. I have deleted it and re-entered it with no success. It used to track temps independently. I have no idea why it is not now. I plan to independently track trans temps in the future using a direct reading sensor.

The other big take away was the excellent performance of the 19 X 9.5” Project rims with the 275/ZR35 PS4’s. My 2016 V60 weighs 4200 lbs (1905Kg) with me in it and that’s a lot of weight to be throwing around the track. Not only is the stance of the car wider, but there is just so much more tire to absorb the weight and heat of tracking. My tire pressures rose 5psi from cold to hot. It took me several stints to get the hot tire pressures down to 37psi where I wanted them.

Overall, it was a great day at the track.

Hot lap 1: Picks up going down the front straightaway just before the Start/Finish line.

Hot Lap 2: A few faster cars pass me on the back straight away section.

Why Turn Nine at WSIR is feared:

The Master of Willow Springs shows how to drive it right in his 911:

Top of Turn Four by LCF Polestar, on Flickr

Turn 1 by LCF Polestar, on Flickr

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty cool videos. Are these instructor led or just an open track day welcome to all?
If you join the Beginner Group an instructor will take you around on the opening stint and show you the line. And they normally have instructors available that will ride in the car with you for no costs. I recommend Open Track Racing, they run a good program.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice, good to see more Polestars out on track. Were you manual shifting?

I just tracked my 2021 V60 P* over the weekend with similar weather conditions. My coolant temps never went over 211. The transmission was a bit frustrating and I found myself in the wrong gear 1/3 of my corner exits while I frantically try to get my car to downshift lol... Trying to see if other folks have tips on wrangling the transmission.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, good to see more Polestars out on track. Were you manual shifting?

I just tracked my 2021 V60 P* over the weekend with similar weather conditions. My coolant temps never went over 211. The transmission was a bit frustrating and I found myself in the wrong gear 1/3 of my corner exits while I frantically try to get my car to downshift lol... Trying to see if other folks have tips on wrangling the transmission.
Yes, I manual shift my car. It takes some seat time to get this down. I like to verbalize my shifts as I do them, it helps me stay focused on the task. Most tracks the shifting is actually repetitive. At Big Willow, I drive the entire track using just 3rd, 4th and 5th. You are down shifting quickly during braking (4,3,) before you enter the turn and then up shifting onto the straights. (4....5...).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts