SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 xc90 at auction a few weeks ago. 2 days ago the anti skid temporarily unavailable and service anti skid warning came on in the message center. The little yellow traction control triangle is aglow on the cluster. I have you tubed and found some possible fixes. Just curious if anyone has any idea to how much the repair costs at a local independent mechanic? I know it of course varies place to place But what have others paid? Any help would be fantastic. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Really ought to get something that'll read Volvo codes connected to the vehicle and see what it thinks is wrong. That'll make the job pretty easy.

If you are completely unable to get the codes, you could try this as a start- https://xemodex.com/us/diagnostic-flow-charts/ (see DEM Diagnostic and DEM Pump). There are a couple of threads in the XC90 forum on anti-skid, more than one thing can cause the message and the light.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you for the advice

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad steering angle sensor requires dealer program and install. You mean I can buy the and replace it?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Bad steering angle sensor requires dealer program and install.
Not true! I replaced it myself. Order a new bolt for the steering wheel when you order the sensor. It's one time use only.

Make sure this is your problem, first, though. The yaw sensor can also cause similar issues, and it's in a spot that can be plagued with water problems, so corroded connections are also a possibility.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told by my mechanic it was the steering angle sensor. How do I program it to the car? I watched a video of installation but not the marriage of the part

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,295 Posts
No programming needed if you change the part. Follow older threads and videos. The steering angle sensor has to be installed at the correct position, remove the holding screw on the new part, and reinstall your steering wheel at the same position. What I did extra was to mark the steering shaft (after removing the bolt) to the steering wheel so I know exactly where the two meet when reassembling.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No programming needed if you change the part. Follow older threads and videos. The steering angle sensor has to be installed at the correct position, remove the holding screw on the new part, and reinstall your steering wheel at the same position. What I did extra was to mark the steering shaft (after removing the bolt) to the steering wheel so I know exactly where the two meet when reassembling.
Yes I saw the video on YouTube where the guy marks the steering wheeel and the bolt I guess. Is that all there is to it? I have been quoted $610 to do the job at the shop

Anyone know approx cost of part?

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,295 Posts
You can search for the part on FCP Euro and other sites easily. Looks like the part is $325 with a lifetime warranty from FCP. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-air-bag-clockspring-xc90-31313084#fitment

If you factor the tax at the shop, you can save $300 doing it yourself. What you see in the videos and past threads is all there is to it.

Oh, two more things if it isn't in the videos or threads. Place the airbag on the passenger side ground facing up when removed so it is safely set away from you and add a little blue Loctite to the bolt when reinstalling.

·
Registered
490 Posts
While it's probably the angle sensor, you need to get VIDA/DICE to get codes to be sure. Other things can cause this. Hop on Facebook and search "VIDA Laptops".

The SAS is indeed a cinch to replace. I'll admit that I was a little anxious approaching the job, but was surprised when the car was back together in 30 minutes.

-Ryan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am fuming after a failed attempt takin it to my trusty Volvo guys. They charged me $110 to diagnose but then tells me they can’t fix it. Gotta go to volvo dealer. I have always loved these guys but this pisses me off. Bad

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roll that beautiful YouTube footage. I’m rollin up my sleeves

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Did they give you a readout of the codes? Seems the least you could have gotten for your $110 and it may be in your best interest to re-post the codes here so we can have a look before you go and spend so much money on a single module. Entirely possible the SAS is your issue but it's not the only module that can trigger the message you're seeing.

·
Registered
490 Posts
What codes, then?

-Ryan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I left the paperwork on my desk at work..I ended up ordering the angle sensor for $350 and followed a good YouTube tutorial. All done fixed!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for all the help folks

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,295 Posts
Great! It's always nice to help someone who does their own homework and is willing to jump into fixes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts