SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got new shoes on the girl Friday and today (40+ miles later) get a tire pressure alarm. All are 30+/-.5 so i assume its because of the swap.

I'll hit the tire store tuesday but anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Assuming since you have a T6, you have 18" wheels, volvo wants 38 psi in the tires. 30 is low.
Thank you for this very helpful hint, Copper. I never even thought about the tire store using the wrong pressure since that's their only job after all. I'll bump them up and see if it clears.

Magoon, thanks for that very helpful hint too, I suppose I could've searched and saved the oooooodles and ooooooodles of memory and such that this very unhelpful thread wasted. Although, after searching I still find no thread about this issue specific to the 2011+ S60, but then maybe I just figured we were here to help each other ather than spend hours going through each and every thread. How much time do you suppose I wasted out of everyones life by posting this? Are you JRL incarnate?

Thanks Yannis

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I never even thought about the tire store using the wrong pressure since that's their only job after all.
About a week after taking delivery of my 2012 S60 (this was a year ago), I took it to a local tire shop to have the original Balder rims swapped out with the Regors. On the way home, I noticed the car was handling very badly, the tire pressure light came on shortly after, I pulled off the road, checked the tire pressures, and found that it was about 30 psi, but different for each tire. I inflated the tires back to 38 psi and continued on my way. I noticed that the tires weren't balanced exactly right, either, so I took the car back to the tire shop the following day, asked them to rebalance the tires, told them about the underinflation issue, and asked to speak to the manager.

He talked to the "tech" who did the work and was told that the S60 was "too new" and not yet in their inflation charts, so he just guessed that 28 PSI would be about right. I pointed out that the correct inflation pressure was on the sticker in the driver's door sill, as requred by Federal law in every car sold in the US for decades. Apparently he either didn't think to look or else thought that 38 psi sounded too high and he knew better than the maker. Jeez. I resolved not to use that shop again.

A year earlier, I had taken another of my Volvos to a different ship for installation of new tires, noticed that it too was handling oddly, and found that the tire pressures were wildly uneven, varying by as much as 7 psi from high to low. I called the manager, who blandly stated that "some of our tires gauges are not accurate." Yeah, right. I haven't been back there again, either. The only conclusion I can draw from these two experiences is that, to paraphrase Rachel Maddow, some tire shops are simply "not very good at their job"...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About a week after taking delivery of my 2012 S60 (this was a year ago), I took it to a local tire shop to have the original Balder rims swapped out with the Regors. On the way home, I noticed the car was handling very badly, the tire pressure light came on shortly after, I pulled off the road, checked the tire pressures, and found that it was about 30 psi, but different for each tire. I inflated the tires back to 38 psi and continued on my way. I noticed that the tires weren't balanced exactly right, either, so I took the car back to the tire shop the following day, asked them to rebalance the tires, told them about the underinflation issue, and asked to speak to the manager.

He talked to the "tech" who did the work and was told that the S60 was "too new" and not yet in their inflation charts, so he just guessed that 28 PSI would be about right. I pointed out that the correct inflation pressure was on the sticker in the driver's door sill, as requred by Federal law in every car sold in the US for decades. Apparently he either didn't think to look or else thought that 38 psi sounded too high and he knew better than the maker. Jeez. I resolved not to use that shop again.

A year earlier, I had taken another of my Volvos to a different ship for installation of new tires, noticed that it too was handling oddly, and found that the tire pressures were wildly uneven, varying by as much as 7 psi from high to low. I called the manager, who blandly stated that "some of our tires gauges are not accurate." Yeah, right. I haven't been back there again, either. The only conclusion I can draw from these two experiences is that, to paraphrase Rachel Maddow, some tire shops are simply "not very good at their job"...

Well, I just pumped them all from 29.5-30.0 cpld up to 38.0 cold. Message was magically GONE! I did check my manual and indeed it had the 38 stated as well.
I never imagined, since i have had the tires rotated every 5k BY DiscountTires and taken the car to Volvo for every 7500 checkup for free, that anybody was underinflating them.

NOW, the concern in my mind is 1) Are they even checking pressure? 2) They certainly have not been correcting it to their 30psi target, 3) What mileage might I have gottten out of these if they were in fact at 38 all their lives?
Truth is 34,000 out of performance tires tickles me to death :)
I like the stock ContiProContacts and they served me well so I put them right back on it.

Like you Sir, I plan on having a discussion w the manager since I send eight of my company vans over to him as well. (245 75 16 LTX MS Michelins arent cheap either)

Thanks to all for the constructive comments. I never thought TPMS actually looked at the analog value of all tires. Just thought it was looking more at an imbalance of pressures. I learned something today.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The recommended tire pressure is located on the driver's door jam. I am surprised the tire store did not know this.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have the same issue here in Turkey, no one knows how to adjust tire pressures, they just assume 32 psi for all 4 tires is the norm for all cars!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same issue. I had a slow leak repaired and sure enough when I got home to check the pressure is was 30psi.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Some tire pressure gauges are not accurate. I had one that varied by as much as 10 PSI LOL

Back on topic. I have my tire pressure set at around 36PSI. I feel 38 PSI is too high, and I'm not noticing any difference in abnormal tread wear or anything either. Our BMW calls for 33/41. REALLY? 41?!

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I have had so many instances of underinflation that I just tell them to not touch it at this point.

I check the inflation on my four cars every month so it's more than a little frustrating to get the car back and find the inflation at 32 lbs vs. 38 lbs required.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Some tire pressure gauges are not accurate. I had one that varied by as much as 10 PSI LOL

Back on topic. I have my tire pressure set at around 36PSI. I feel 38 PSI is too high, and I'm not noticing any difference in abnormal tread wear or anything either. Our BMW calls for 33/41. REALLY? 41?!
+1 on that comment. Spending the few extra bucks to get an accurate tire gauge is really worth it in terms of safety, handling, tire life, etc. Of course, 'ya got to actually use that tire gauge on a regular basis!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 on that comment. Spending the few extra bucks to get an accurate tire gauge is really worth it in terms of safety, handling, tire life, etc. Of course, 'ya got to actually use that tire gauge on a regular basis!
I have a digital and an old school stick and I compared them just for that very reason. Turns out they agree!

Thanks to all. I suppose this hasnt turned out to be a uselss thread after all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts