SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what is the real issue with the TPMS warning: "Tire press. syst. Service required" message?

I had new tires mounted on my 2010 T6 a few months ago. Not long thereafter, I started getting the previously quoted message intermittently while out driving. Eventually, the warning became normal at start up and still is now. I check the tire pressure daily now, just to ensure that I'm near 35psi all around, so I know the tires aren't really low.

I've read about how the TPMS sensors send a RF signal to the ECU and how the system is supposed to re-calibrate itself periodically unless the internal battery fails.

At this point, my wife and I just automatically ignore the message and clear the code from the dash at start-up, but the small light that stays illuminated after the fact is still a nuisance. I also don't like to ignore systems that are designed to enhance safety anyway. I've delayed fixing this issue, because there have been bigger issues in life to deal with, but I'd like to get this fault resolved.

1. Is a dead internal battery in one or more of the TPMS sensors the likely culprit?
2. Can the batteries be replaced?
3. If battery replacement isn't an option, then should I pay through the nose for OEM Volvo replacement sensors, or is there a reliable after-market alternative?
4. Is any kind of ECU reprogramming required once new batteries or sensors are installed, or will the system re-calibrate on its own, as indicated in the owners manual?

Any insight or real-world experience that can help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I used to get that TPMS warning pretty regularly when we went on long road trips but it would go away after a few miles after coming on. The dealer supposedly repaired it but I've seen it come on even after that.

In your case, since it's consistently there, I would imagine it's one of your TMPS sensors in the tire or like you're thinking perhaps just the battery. Sorry, but I have no first hand experience on whether the battery can be replaced on those things.

I would imagine a tire place would have an idea since they see these things every day so might be worth asking those (supposedly) professionals.

·
Registered
853 Posts
1 Yup,, likely the culprit.
2 Batttery's can't be replaced
3 Good aftermarket sensors for $66 each at tirerack.
4 tire shop can easily flash the new ones. There is no need to program the ECU.
The best time to replace them is when they are 10 yrs. old or as close to that age when you get new tires to save $$ on mounting and balancing. I would check with FCP for aftermarket sensors because of the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
797 Posts
TPMS sensors typically die between 5-10 years. Just have them replaced. Volvo sensors cost more than aftermarket sensors, but all function similar so long as they are specified for your model. The Volvo OEM device is made by Continental. Continental/VDO branded sensors can be purchased for less than the Volvo brand. As others stated, you only need to drive the car awhile to reset the TPMS system after installation because it is constantly monitoring.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I used to get that TPMS warning pretty regularly when we went on long road trips but it would go away after a few miles after coming on.
Ditto. Mine has been doing this since I bought it 5.5 years ago. After 45-60 minutes of driving, I get the error message and it has always cleared itself after 3 minutes or so.

I also agree with Config that your problem is different. Since your error message is consistent, my bet is on the batteries in one or more of the TPMS sensors having croaked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts