SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my Polestar winter 19" rims on my V60 and everything went well for 2 weeks.

Yesterday, the TPMS light came on with low pressure for the 4 tires. I am not specifically suspicious but 4 at the time, pretty odd

I checked them all and they were fine (38PSI at cold)

Thus, I looked on internet and I found out some interesting information

1/ According to Tire Pressure, there should be a tire pressure button to hold. Could not find any and I thought it was through "my Car" button

2/ According to our manual here, I should get either a orange dot on all my tires (which I have) and drive for at least 10 min above 30mph (done and no change)

3/ Same manual: you can desactivate the TPMS sensor. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks for your reading and help

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Change the CEM setting in VDASH to "TPMS not installed." That's what I've done since I run wheels with no sensors.

TPMS is government mandated and you cannot disable it. The functions for disabling in My Car are for non U.S. markets. I tried using that CEM setting with VDASH but every time I tried to check the disable box in My Car it would just recheck the box.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change the CEM setting in VDASH to "TPMS not installed." That's what I've done since I run wheels with no sensors.

TPMS is government mandated and you cannot disable it. The functions for disabling in My Car are for non U.S. markets. I tried using that CEM setting with VDASH but every time I tried to check the disable box in My Car it would just recheck the box.
Great so I am no fool here.
Vdash is on my list and I rented the 10amp from O'reilly. Will figure this out this weekend, one way or another

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I just put my Polestar winter 19" rims on my V60 and everything went well for 2 weeks.

Yesterday, the TPMS light came on with low pressure for the 4 tires. I am not specifically suspicious but 4 at the time, pretty odd

I checked them all and they were fine (38PSI at cold)

Thus, I looked on internet and I found out some interesting information

1/ According to Tire Pressure, there should be a tire pressure button to hold. Could not find any and I thought it was through "my Car" button

2/ According to our manual here, I should get either a orange dot on all my tires (which I have) and drive for at least 10 min above 30mph (done and no change)

3/ Same manual: you can desactivate the TPMS sensor. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks for your reading and help
That's not your manual. Here is your manual:

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2016/2016-Volvo-V60-Owners-Manual-v1.pdf

Discussion starts on page 311. I am guessing that your car has direct TPMS vs. Tire Monitor which is also called indirect TPMS.

Do the wheels you just installed have TPMS sensors installed?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not your manual. Here is your manual:

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2016/2016-Volvo-V60-Owners-Manual-v1.pdf

Discussion starts on page 311. I am guessing that your car has direct TPMS vs. Tire Monitor which is also called indirect TPMS.

Do the wheels you just installed have TPMS sensors installed?
Yes I checked and I have TPMS Sensor installed

TPMS sensor batteries may have died...

Waiting for that to happen to my car soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought about it too and do not know how to check
According some research, looks like the battery should work from 5 to 12 years (My TPMS has only 3 years)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Did you run the re-calibration process (pg 313 of that manual)? I would.

You mention "winter rims". Do you have summer rims in the garage? Do they have TPMS sensors? It could be that your car is reading the sensors from the summer rims. Don't laugh. It happened to me. Took me more than a few days to figure out what was happening.

I have two sets of rims for my Pontiac (both with TPMS), and have to perform the recalibration process every time I swap rims.

I used to have a GTI and a set of winter rims without TPMS (I was cheap). Like the Volvo, it is possible to turn off the monitor, but I really regretted not having TPMS in my winter rims because frigid weather can play havoc with your tire pressures and road salt tends to create rim leaks. Over the years, I found that tire pressure problems are most likely to occur on the coldest damn day of the year, and that's when you want a functional TPMS.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
TPMS sensor batteries may have died...

Waiting for that to happen to my car soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got 8 years on mine and still going strong.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I could definitely be wrong, but when they do a TPMS rebuild when swapping tires, don't they usually replace the battery?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you run the re-calibration process (pg 313 of that manual)? I would.

You mention "winter rims". Do you have summer rims in the garage? Do they have TPMS sensors? It could be that your car is reading the sensors from the summer rims. Don't laugh. It happened to me. Took me more than a few days to figure out what was happening.
I have two sets of rims for my Pontiac (both with TPMS), and have to perform the recalibration process every time I swap rims.
I used to have a GTI and a set of winter rims without TPMS (I was cheap). Like the Volvo, it is possible to turn off the monitor, but I really regretted not having TPMS in my winter rims because frigid weather can play havoc with your tire pressures and road salt tends to create rim leaks. Over the years, I found that tire pressure problems are most likely to occur on the coldest damn day of the year, and that's when you want a functional TPMS.
Yes, I tried and the option is stuck in "reading process" aka calibration in process.
Yes, I have my winter rims (17" with winter tires) and my summer set (Polestar 19" winter rim with All season tires).
I will try to force again the calibration process this weekend. If does not change, I will unactivate the TPMS via Vdash and reactivate for my winter tires. Will wait that my all season tires are worn to do a full change

I could definitely be wrong, but when they do a TPMS rebuild when swapping tires, don't they usually replace the battery?
They do not (at least not in us). You have to mention that your TPMS sensor does not work. From that point, they replace the full TPMS since the battery is molded in the TPMS sensor (thanks to the person who work hard making sure we have to spend more instead of changing the battery

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes I checked and I have TPMS Sensor installed

I thought about it too and do not know how to check
According some research, looks like the battery should work from 5 to 12 years (My TPMS has only 3 years)
Are you sure? Our '16 uses the ABS system for TPMS, easily confirmed by the rubber valve stems.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you sure? Our '16 uses the ABS system for TPMS, easily confirmed by the rubber valve stems.
Good to know since the seller told me they were TPMS equipped. I think they are metallic since you are mentioning it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts