SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Searched and didn't find the answer.

I'm driving a 2015.5 V60 T5. I bought and mounted a set of 18" Mirzams that came off a C70 recently, and the seller told me they were TPMS compatible.

For the first few days, I didn't get any messages so I figured all was well. Then I road tripped and got a tire pressure warning. The tires were a little low -- the temperature had gone down about 20 degrees as we drove through a front -- but not more than four psi. Inflated them all but the warning didn't go away. The next morning I inflated cold tires to the proper pressure and drove 400+ miles at highway speed but the message persists.

One more data point: I switched from 235/45-17 to 245/40-18 tires, so the tire diameter is increased by 0.4" with a 1.6% speedometer error; the owners manual says changing wheel size might cause an error.

Questions:

--Is all Volvo TPMS equipment compatible? I.e. would transmitters off an older C70 be compatible with my V60?
--Is there any way to recalibrate/reset the TPMS sensors? I didn't find anything helpful in the owners manual.
--Is the change in tire size significant enough to cause the error?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD, ‘17 BMW M240i
777 Posts
Does the TPMS light flash and give an error in the DIM or does it just turn on and tell you that you have a low tire? Also, does your V60 use the direct system (with sensors mounted to the wheels via metal valve stems) or the newer indirect system (with no wheel-mounted sensors, which you can discern by black rubber valve stems on your original wheels)?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the TPMS light flash and give an error in the DIM or does it just turn on and tell you that you have a low tire? Also, does your V60 use the direct system (with sensors mounted to the wheels via metal valve stems) or the newer indirect system (with no wheel-mounted sensors, which you can discern by black rubber valve stems on your original wheels)?
Nope -- no flashing. Just turns on and tells me I have a low tire. Also, AFAIK it uses the sensors. Of course, there's a possibility that the fellow who sold me the Mirzams either lied or didn't know whether they had the sensors.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yup--just comes on. You walk around and look for the low tire. Don't see one visually? You manually check them all, then head for the air filling station.

·
Registered
‘14 XC70 3.2 AWD, ‘17 BMW M240i
777 Posts
Nope -- no flashing. Just turns on and tells me I have a low tire. Also, AFAIK it uses the sensors. Of course, there's a possibility that the fellow who sold me the Mirzams either lied or didn't know whether they had the sensors.
Well, if one or more sensors was not working or not present you would get a flashing TPMS light (which would become steady after a minute or so of flashing) along with a "TPMS Service Required" or similar wording on the DIM. What you describe sounds more like a problem others have reported. One example: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?220325-Tire-pressure-light&highlight=tpms . Some have been able to briefly over-inflate to clear the warning and then reduce to the desired pressure. If that fails then you may need to let the dealer check it out with VIDA.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Another possibility: how old are the TPMS sensors?
The internal batteries are generally rated to be good for 10 years, but when has a battery ever lived up to its rating?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.