SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had a TPMS warning after leasing my V60 for six months. First did a search here, found a thread that said to inflate tires to 40 psi and drive and the TPMS would reset itself. NOPE. did not happen still got the TPMS warning. Any suggestions now? I really do not want to go to dealer to fix this.

WHY cant Volvo put a manual reset on the car? This and no spare tire is very annoying and borders on idiotic. I just hope that the one time I get a flat I remember to bring my reading glasses to figure out how to fill my Pirellis!! This TPMS thing is more annoying than anything. I had a TPMS warning on my AUDI many times, only one time was the tire low and since it was a low profile I ended up ruining the tire beyond its usefulness so I kinda of think TPMS are for people like my mother in law who have no idea about cars. Because they drive around clueless on how a low tire would make the car ride. I hate TPMS.

SO any ideas on how to fix warning? Like my car BTW.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I'm a car enthusiast, an ex-Volvo service writer after many years....I'd say I'm pretty smart about cars. Had my TPMS light come on a few days ago. Got out and everything looked OK, car drives fine. Checked all the tires and......1 tire is 10 psi low. Would have never have guessed that. Filled it up to 38 psi as recommended from the factory and the light wet off before I even moved the car. TPMS can be a pain...and they can be really nice (even for a mechanically-minded car guy). And FYI there are a TON of cars that no longer have a spare tire (I get a kick that Chrysler minivans that move kids all day don't have a spare tire standard) and many that use the identical TPMS as Volvo. So I personally wouldn't throw Volvo under the bus over these two things. In 20 years of driving I have used a spare tire once.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Certainly beats checking the pressure every time SO complains that "it looks like it might be low"...
Word. As lousy as the typical execution of TPMS is, the naked eye is almost always going to be worse. So, it's either check your pressure constantly or rely on TPMS I'm afraid!

·
Registered
585 Posts
First of all, be sure you're using a quality gauge to measure the tire pressure. And realize that every 10 degrees of temperature drop will lower the effective pressure by 1 pound. Measure when the car has been sitting overnight in the cold, and don't drive to the service station to measure or fill. Cheapo gauges and service station pumps are notoriously inaccurate. Raise the pressure to over 40 and then drop it to the rated pressure if the warning is going off.

Then if the TPMS is still warning you, go to the dealer...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Finally had a TPMS warning after leasing my V60 for six months. First did a search here, found a thread that said to inflate tires to 40 psi and drive and the TPMS would reset itself. NOPE. did not happen still got the TPMS warning. Any suggestions now? I really do not want to go to dealer to fix this.

WHY cant Volvo put a manual reset on the car? This and no spare tire is very annoying and borders on idiotic. I just hope that the one time I get a flat I remember to bring my reading glasses to figure out how to fill my Pirellis!! This TPMS thing is more annoying than anything. I had a TPMS warning on my AUDI many times, only one time was the tire low and since it was a low profile I ended up ruining the tire beyond its usefulness so I kinda of think TPMS are for people like my mother in law who have no idea about cars. Because they drive around clueless on how a low tire would make the car ride. I hate TPMS.

SO any ideas on how to fix warning? Like my car BTW.
Every time I've had the TPMS go off whether it was BMW or Volvo, which are the two brands I've owned these last 5 years, a tire or tires were low and once filled the light would reset or you could hit a reset from the menu and it will clear. If the problem persists, either there's a problem with the car or you have a really bad leak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all, be sure you're using a quality gauge to measure the tire pressure. And realize that every 10 degrees of temperature drop will lower the effective pressure by 1 pound. Measure when the car has been sitting overnight in the cold, and don't drive to the service station to measure or fill. Cheapo gauges and service station pumps are notoriously inaccurate. Raise the pressure to over 40 and then drop it to the rated pressure if the warning is going off.

Then if the TPMS is still warning you, go to the dealer...

LOL. I am using a AUDI gauge so it was expensive and looks great.!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts